Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:06 AM

850 posts, read 1,131,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think they should fire the police and institute the law of the jungle...no one goes to prison and the strongest survive, the weak die.
That's pretty much how it is in most parts of Baltimore anyway. Very little the police can do and the strongest survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 08:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover12 View Post
what would baltimore be like without police would things be better
that has to be one of the dumbest questions I've heard in a long time (although I recognize the bait).

Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 AM

912 posts, read 915,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
LOL,

Seem like a lot of negative comments here over a simple question from a newcomer. Again, someone becomes angry because someone who lives outside of Baltimore has a question????

To answer this, if Baltimore City Police (assuming just the city) were removed and Baltimore City had no direct police force. You will see a sharp spike and increase in all kinds of crime. Even though the current police may be inefficient and corrupt (proven). State police will likely have to take over and they lack the experience and familiarity with the nuances of the city.

The curious question would be "what types of crime". If we see a spike in petty crimes v.s. violent. My guess is you would see petty crime spike first, followed by an increase in violent.
I don't think anyone is angry. I know I'm not. I just think it's a silly question and I don't see the point of it, especially given the OP hasn't shown how such a question would impact them, making it a worthwhile discussion in the first place.

Since we're asking silly questions, should the U.S. fire the president and dismantle the government and have no ruling body? We've all already agreed as a society to have a government and, therefore, police to carry out those laws. Soooo...

Old 11-30-2015, 09:31 AM

912 posts, read 915,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
that has to be one of the dumbest questions I've heard in a long time (although I recognize the bait).
Thank you. lol How come when I say that I'm angry? lol

Old 11-30-2015, 09:41 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Since we're asking silly questions, should the U.S. fire the president and dismantle the government and have no ruling body? We've all already agreed as a society to have a government and, therefore, police to carry out those laws. Soooo...
YES!!! PLEASE!!! (Oh, wait, this isn't the POC forum. Sorry. )

Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,357,122 times
A more likely answer would be to put them under the Baltimore County Police Commissioner much like what happened in Camden NJ.. where Camden County, NJ took over their Police Department. Supposedly things are running much better now.. But Camden is no Baltimore.. though there are similar challenges.....

Camden County Police Take Over, City Agency Disbanded - News - POLICE Magazine

Old 12-01-2015, 06:04 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The OP's question is already being answered, in part, in West Baltimore. Thanks to the Freddie Gray aftermath, with the community becoming antagonistic towards the police, individual officers are reducing their "footprint" in the area. Thus, while there are still police in West Baltimore, they are not as proactive as they used to be. The result has been a huge surge in violent crime, including murder.

The amount of police coverage an area needs is directly proportionate to the amount of self-restraint shown by its citizens. Thus, areas where most of the residents are peaceful, law-abiding citizens need fewer police than areas where most (or even just a fair number) of the residents are inclined to criminality. I think we've seen where certain parts of Baltimore fall on this spectrum.
Fewer and fewer people want to be cops now, especially in urban areas where they are expected to reduce crime around people that don't respect them and they can't do anything proactive to reduce crime as they would be racist. Areas like west Baltimore will only get worse as cops are standing down more and more and just showing up to clean up the messes that thugs leave behind.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 AM

777 posts, read 881,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover12 View Post
what would baltimore be like without police would things be better
Punctuation would be better..........
To answer the question: No one is asking
for the police to be abolished but for
them to follow proper police procedure.
That's all.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 AM

850 posts, read 1,131,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I don't think anyone is angry. I know I'm not. I just think it's a silly question and I don't see the point of it, especially given the OP hasn't shown how such a question would impact them, making it a worthwhile discussion in the first place.

It's a hypothetical question, asked to intrigue and to aid in discussion. As you can see it forces other questions regarding police force efficiency, effectiveness etc....

I tend to see (esp in the Baltimore form). When you ask a question that could have any potential to touch a "sore spot" of Baltimore (there are many). Certain individuals become inflamed and "take issue".

Old 12-02-2015, 03:16 PM

389 posts, read 427,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Punctuation would be better..........
To answer the question: No one is asking
for the police to be abolished but for
them to follow proper police procedure.
That's all.
Exactly, I just want the police to treat law abiding individuals with respect. I'm not anti-police in any way, shape or form. I'm tired of the police who take their frustrations out on EVERYBODY who lives in a neighborhood that's considered dangerously.

If you're a law abiding citizen who lives in a rough neighborhood in West Baltimore, there's a chance that your rights will be violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore