Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

Mind you, I was on foot in this area.

I was tied up by real tough economic times during this phase in my life, and I wasn't lost or anything like that, but I spoke with a few locals from Baltimore to pass the time, as I was out of home and out of shelter. I hit it off with someone and he invited me to stay in this area as he lived alone and had extra space to "crash". I had money in my pocket, and what I gave him was around 5 dollars a day and a few cigarettes.

I was entirely sketchy about all of this, but I had no other option. I went with gut instinct and even though I was kind of exploited for my cash, I had a place to stay, and he was gone most of the day. As I made arrangements to get back, I burned extra daylight with the occasional conversation, and he had people on his porch every night.

I guess I attribute my "survival" to just being myself and treating people like people, not killers. Not everyone in this area is involved in crime or a part of some gang and some roost here because its cheap, or their family is here, or the same damn reasons anyone else wants to live in a lower-income area.

Not everyone was friendly, infact, 50% of people there were actually abrasive and loud and hard to listen to. A lot of them were conflict minded but if you kept to your own business, there's really no reason for them to even notice you. The other half were wise with a lot of life experience that drew me to listening to them.

If you're on foot, people WILL be concerned, and try to get you out of that area or somewhere safe ASAP. Obviously, you wouldn't be there unless dire situations brought you there, if you explain your side of the story, you'll witness a human side of Baltimore.

One thing I learned about Baltimorians is that they wear their hearts on their sleeve, but that DOESN'T make them soft. In fact, I met some of the hardest hearts in my life in Baltimore. You can learn a lot about a person here for the first few seconds of meeting them. They don't really "put on airs". They won't dislike you unless you give them the SMALLEST reason to dislike you, "if you lie once, you're a liar for life", real fast-paced, city mentality of thin trust but general respect, and common courtesy goes miles with them.

A five minute conversation turns into a five hour conversation with most people here. As does cigarettes. If you bum a cigarette you could make a friend. A lot of people are down to earth and trying to get by.

Most homes contain families of people, like, anywhere from 5 to 8 people, in a house that accommodates two.

I am FAR MORE AFRAID OF THE POLICE, than ANYBODY I've met. They can harass you for being on your porch on your own property or someone else's, they will profile and insult you, they are the lowest forms of human life I met in this area. I'm pretty sure a lot of the "fearsome" mentality people have is because those who live in Baltimore are acting in defense of the police the entire time. I can't say I blame them.

If you put out a vibe that you're trustworthy and not a threat, then, there's no reason for anyone here to get nasty with you. Some people do get nasty anyway. I was rarely by myself, but if I encountered a crowd of nasty or "scary" people, I told people who were hostile, "Well, I hope your day gets better or whatever." and "scary" people nothing, I just got to a safe place ASAP.

The worst experience I had was when I approached a ring of smoking women and asked for a lighter. One smiled and handed it to me, then they all giggled to themselves. As I walked away, one of them said "How the **** you gonna approach someone from behind like you're listening like that? That's how you get shot or killed for real!" I didn't say anything, I just kept walking in situations like that, and well, I'm alive to tell about it.

Honestly? This place has people here. And they're ****ing people. There are nasty people and there are saints anywhere you go. I guess my luck was in part, divine intervention, but after I showered and stayed one night, the dude I roomed with arranged a ride to take me to the light rail. I didn't have enough cash to spring for a cab nor could I look up companies as I was temporarily without a phone, but since I met someone who helped me have access to those resources, I was able to get out.

I'm not afraid of Baltimore but I'm not going out of my way to go there. I prefer to avoid areas like that now, and I would never live there. Its very unstable. There were gunshots a few streets off, there were arguments from sundown to sunrise, and there were people in everybody's business. I wouldn't mind having a conversation or two with people in West Baltimore at all. But I can see why its horrifying. At the same time, its not entirely ****ing horrifying to the point where you roll down the window, catch a whiff and die. Like everyone acts like it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 05:33 PM

912 posts, read 911,842 times
Sounds like you were in one of the very worst parts of this fine city. You made some interesting (and relatively accurate) observations, especially for a visitor. Maybe next time you'll visit the better parts of town, of which there are many. I'd love for you to do a tour of the neighborhoods, city and county, and give a real opinion of each. You seem very in-tune and on point, for the most part, especially for as short of a time as you were in the 'hood. Glad to hear that even our citizens that are struggling the most opened their door to you and that you are in a better situation now. That's what I *love* about Baltimore.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:45 PM

389 posts, read 425,232 times
I'm staying in West Baltimore temporarily and it's a pure CRAPHOLE. I can't wait to move back to southwest Baltimore.

SW Baltimore is no Mt. Vernon but at least it's better than the Sandtown area.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,911 times
I hear u. had situation where I had to have help with bill,s rent etc. . Had lost job ( @10 yrs now ) .not working on SS. Lost that apt was really great loc. room , garage ,yard. Moved in with friend of my sis. , she needed a lil. help. It's not working real well. Places are soooo hard to find , backround check's, financial ,where you've lived , and pay! sometimes . With a retirement way under poverty it's damn hard. Need to move where it's warm ( again) lived in Vegas yr's ago. Peace Bill

Old 12-21-2015, 02:29 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,933,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticEye
I am FAR MORE AFRAID OF THE POLICE, than ANYBODY I've met.
If you actually believe this, you are just plain ignorant.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:43 PM

789 posts, read 1,090,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Nah, I'll throw my hat in after being raised there (SW, not W luckily). It's unequivocally true. Even as a innocent little white kid that type of fear comes up on your very quick. I'd rather walk all the way from my old house to the harbor down washington than across wilkens.

Psh if you think city cops are saints then you have always been on the outside looking in.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:30 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,227,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticEye View Post
I am FAR MORE AFRAID OF THE POLICE, than ANYBODY I've met.

This can be interpreted two ways.

1) You're more afraid of the police than anyone you met is afraid of the police. In other words, your acquaintances aren't as afraid of the police as you are.

or

2) You're more afraid of the police than you're afraid of anybody else you met. In other words, the police scare you more than other people you met scare you.

I suspect that door #2 is what you mean.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 PM

777 posts, read 876,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Not really.

Given the OP stated vulnerabilities
it would be wise to be cautious
of all threats especially highly
organized ones like law enforcement.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM

8,181 posts, read 13,269,058 times
The BPD are an interesting lot.. on the one hand.. they deal with a very difficult populace in what is a thankless job. Not to mention that some (not all) could go into another law enforcement agency they would likely defect like someone from the former East Germany... That said.. they often subscribe to the "tough guy" image and that every denizen of some of the areas that they patrol are criminals or con artists trying to get over on them....Just look at any episode of COPs.. @ I didn't do nothing@ the perp says even as the TV Camera shows him throwing a gun and running from Police.. or @ That aint my drugs.. that guy that jumped out of my car must of have left them.. nah I don't know who he is.. he just asked for a ride@ So I can see them being somewhat cynical when dealing with the same types issues day in and day out....

. I would venture to guess that if you walked up to a BPD Officer at Artscape and exchanged friendly or unfriendly words.. their reaction would be different that on the corner of Fulton and Riggs. Image is everything..in some hoods whether it be a thug or a BPD Officer and "being hard" rude or unfriendly seems to be the order of the day in both camps.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: