Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:46 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Some people left because of affordability in PG. No they didn't kill each other off, more like forced out. While others did leave because of the crime and drug activity, some people left because it was getting too expensive then to live in DC even back then in the 90s.

Along with the long term urban planning, eminent domain then redevelopment and ultimately gentrification. Some of the worst areas in the city have been part of a redevelopment plan for years. Georgetown had a large black population, but when whites started to move to the area because of government jobs, blacks were pushed out.

DC was gentrifying before gentrifying was happening at the rate it is now.

DC is unique in that it's the nation's capital with lots of federal jobs, recession proof. So as more wealthy ppl move in for the good jobs, the poor ppl get pushed out.
Thanks for responding. But, I'm not talking about the typical working lower middle class to poor. I used to spend my summers w/family in NW in the 70's and 80's; before the crime spike.

I'm talking about the criminals. The criminal activity, which was at it's peak, in the late 80's to mid 90's. The drugs and murders that were taking place. Crack cocaine and all that came with it exploded in DC during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 06:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Thanks for responding. But, I'm not talking about the typical working lower middle class to poor. I used to spend my summers w/family in NW in the 70's and 80's; before the crime spike.

I'm talking about the criminals. The criminal activity, which was at it's peak, in the late 80's to mid 90's. The drugs and murders that were taking place. Crack cocaine and all that came with it exploded in DC during that time.
Well a lot of ppl still moved to PG County and those cities saw an uptick in crime. A lot of the drug busts and drug dealers went to jail. There was always a plan in the works to change DC, the crime at that time jump started that change. And because the uniqueness of the federal government in the area, job growth lead to the gentrifying of even those poorer sections of DC (Trinidad neighborhood) and PG. When DC was the murder capital it was during the crack epidemic in the 80s. Lots of murders and drugs. Between street murders and incarceration a lot of the crime was eliminated. Remember DC also has federal jurisdiction, so a lot of ppl got long time in jail.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:51 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
A decent subway system should have been built 40-50 years ago when the city had the population. Naw, it's devolved into the horse and buggy stage.

It should have, and it was going to have been. But sadly, it didn't happen.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/BRRTS_Map_L.jpg

This map came from Baltimore Region Rapid Transit System, Feasibility and Preliminary Engineering, was prepared for The Mass Transit Steering Committee, Regional Planning Council, Baltimore, Maryland, and released in July 1968.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It should have, and it was going to have been. But sadly, it didn't happen.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/BRRTS_Map_L.jpg

This map came from Baltimore Region Rapid Transit System, Feasibility and Preliminary Engineering, was prepared for The Mass Transit Steering Committee, Regional Planning Council, Baltimore, Maryland, and released in July 1968.
Why didn't this happen? I know the residents of Georgetown didn't want the black kids from SE to have easy accessibility to G'town on the metro, so no Metro train stop went to G'town. But ppl still get there today on the bus. Now that attitude has changed and the current residents in G'town are looking at ways to be connected to metro through VA or building a trolley type or light rail that can connect to metro going across the river.

Did Baltimore residents fear this too? And now are regretting that choice.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It was the biggest middle finger to Baltimore he could have given. They aren't his base and he couldn't care less.
But his other four fingers were holding a check for $135 million to improve the bus system. Geez, maybe if my county can tick him off enough, he'll widen Route 32 while giving us the bird too.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Why didn't this happen?

The northwest line was built (with a modified alignment) as the Metro Subway that we have today. The north-south line (again, with a modified alignment) was built as the Central Light Rail. It wasn't built as a heavy rail line because by the time its turn had come, the powers-that-be had seen what it costs to dig tunnels under the city.

The east-west line would have been the Red Line.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
The northwest line was built (with a modified alignment) as the Metro Subway that we have today. The north-south line (again, with a modified alignment) was built as the Central Light Rail. It wasn't built as a heavy rail line because by the time its turn had come, the powers-that-be had seen what it costs to dig tunnels under the city.

The east-west line would have been the Red Line.
Thanks for the history. Here's a good article about Baltimore's subway

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/hog...line-baltimore

Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the history. Here's a good article about Baltimore's subway

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/hog...line-baltimore

Thanks for this. As we all know, you get what you pay for. The Metro Subway cost a bundle, but it whisks you from one side of downtown to the other in mere minutes, reliably and punctually. The Light Rail was much cheaper, but don't try and set your watch by it, and its "speed" through downtown isn't much better than you can get on your own two feet.

I think it was smart to plan for the Red Line to tunnel under downtown. Obviously, Hogan has decided that the price tag wasn't worth it. But honestly, I would rather have nothing at all than a slow, unreliable, underutilized rail line poking its way along the congested downtown surface streets.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what the writer of the article was smoking when he wrote this:

Quote:
Should Baltimore officials decide to try again for east-west rapid transit, it’s quite possible that what would get built is bus rapid transit, the current flavor of the month in mass transit. And for it to provide effective service through downtown, it would likely have to be routed to the north edge of downtown along a major cross street such as North Avenue.
But routing an east-west line via North Avenue, while certainly helpful for the people who live and work up there, would do NOTHING for anyone wanting to gain access to downtown.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:38 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
But his other four fingers were holding a check for $135 million to improve the bus system. Geez, maybe if my county can tick him off enough, he'll widen Route 32 while giving us the bird too.

Or we'll get a replacement for the Thomas Johnson bridge over the Patuxent that's been in the "planning stages" for 20 years and slated to be completed in 2028.

RTE 32 was widened. Oh, you mean that last 10 miles to I-70.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or we'll get a replacement for the Thomas Johnson bridge over the Patuxent that's been in the "planning stages" for 20 years and slated to be completed in 2028.

RTE 32 was widened. Oh, you mean that last 10 miles to I-70.
Yes, I was referring to the stretch between Route 108 and I-70. Actually, I'd like to see it widened all the way up to Route 26 in Eldersburg. Yeah, I know, dream on.

And it would be a dream come true if they replaced the Thomas Johnson Bridge, presumably with one with four lanes and a median barrier and a shallower grade. (I heard that the Navy is no longer sending its ships to the recreation facility, so the bridge clearance doesn't have to be as high.) I love bridges, but that one kind of scares me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore