Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM

850 posts, read 1,131,618 times

Advertisements

Voting rights for felons spurs impassioned debate - Baltimore Sun

Why are felons excluded from voting?

Why do felons want to vote so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
A felony conviction entails forfeiting certain rights and privileges, voting being one of several.

I don't think it's felons who want to vote so much but others who feel they might be the beneficiaries of that vote.

And there is the argument that once a person has served his sentence, including probation/parole, that rights should be restored.

One of those rights would include that of firearms ownership.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:29 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Oh yippee, now I get to have people who wouldn't obey the laws have a say in who will make the laws under which I must live.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM

850 posts, read 1,131,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A felony conviction entails forfeiting certain rights and privileges, voting being one of several.

I don't think it's felons who want to vote so much but others who feel they might be the beneficiaries of that vote.

And there is the argument that once a person has served his sentence, including probation/parole, that rights should be restored.

One of those rights would include that of firearms ownership.
Because of course most felons (if given the chance to vote) would vote Dem or towards the liberal side!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:26 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Because of course most felons (if given the chance to vote) would vote Dem or towards the liberal side!

Exactly. The democrats are arguing to restore the vote to felons ASAP, almost even before they are released. Those with common sense, the republicans, are fighting it.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,416 times
LOL, please.

Don't act like Republicans aren't trying to manipulate voting laws to serve their needs too. Voter ID laws, anyone?

That said, I don't believe felons should have their voting rights restored until they've served their full sentence, including probation/parole.

I do think this is a political move by Democrats, but to act like Republicans don't do the exact same thing is disingenuous to a startling degree. Both parties will attempt to do what serves them. Period.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
LOL, please.

Don't act like Republicans aren't trying to manipulate voting laws to serve their needs too. Voter ID laws, anyone?

That said, I don't believe felons should have their voting rights restored until they've served their full sentence, including probation/parole.

I do think this is a political move by Democrats, but to act like Republicans don't do the exact same thing is disingenuous to a startling degree. Both parties will attempt to do what serves them. Period.

Yeah, showing an ID is such a pain in the ass.

I had to show mine today.

At the school I taught at for almost 30 years and from which I retired this past July.

The people staffing the check-in weren't new hires who didn't know who I am.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, showing an ID is such a pain in the ass.

I had to show mine today.

At the school I taught at for almost 30 years and from which I retired this past July.

The people staffing the check-in weren't new hires who didn't know who I am.
Sigh. Point: you've missed it.

It's not a pain in the ass for YOU. But, you're not the type of person they're trying to disenfranchise with those types of laws, are you?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Sigh. Point: you've missed it.

It's not a pain in the ass for YOU. But, you're not the type of person they're trying to disenfranchise with those types of laws, are you?

No. I got your point, you didn't get mine.

Spelled out for you, getting a state ID is almost easier than getting pregnant.

Here's how you do it in MD:

How to Apply for a Maryland Identification Card | MVA

Since you now live in Baltimore research "walking around money".

Oh, I've been asked for ID when voting on more than one occasion, which included my voter ID card issued by Calvert County, over the last 30 years. And, in my little corner of Maryland, I'm a public figure. I didn't feel disenfranchised.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
The Voter ID = disenfranchisement is the biggest load of BS I've ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore