Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I don't think the riots and location is the culprit to why this house hasn't sold. If the riots were a factor, then why has nobody fled? If location was the factor, why do people in Guilford live were they live? Baltimoreans tend to accept where their house borders, which means that two blocks from the ghetto is not a big deal. I just think that its a very expensive house and people are not looking to spend a huge amount on a home. Plus in this price range its generally old money. Bolton Hill Is the closest environment to antique Baltimore and a highly desired neighborhood. Reservoir Hill is also a cheaper alternative for the same house and quit frankly, even more architectural intriguing. And Bufflove hits in on the nail, its very expensive to maintain.

But it will sell, price needs to come down a little bit.

The above post best explains why the house hasn't sold. In simple terms, it is priced too high. One also has to question zillow and their estimates. Could this house really command over $4,000 a month in rent? Probably not.

I can remember about twenty years ago, one could buy one of these old mansions in Bolton Hill for less than a house in a nice suburban neighborhood. Today, houses in that nice suburban neighborhood that I compared them to are selling for about $375,000, which means that properties in Bolton Hill have been appreciating at a much faster rate in recent years. Sellers see this trend and try to push the limit. Lower the price and there should be no problem selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 04:38 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
That such a beautiful, immaculate Georgian house in a very grand neighbourhood in a major American city can be had for such money. What on earth would a similar property fetch in DC or NYC? Totally out of context I appreciate, but in London in a central neighbourhood (which is, along some SW and NW suburbs and the East End, is the only place you would find such a house), you would be looking at at least $5M. More in the swankiest postcodes. Manhattanites could afford the Bolton Hill house as a pied a terre. Why don't they? I KNOW Baltimore is not London or NYC etc, but the sheer bang for bucks IS staggering.

Obviously too much otherwise it would have sold, and I KNOW it's Baltimore, but that is an utter bargain in anyone's money. Heck, I could sell up, buy it for cash and have enough over on which to live very comfortably for my remaining days.

Which may be fewer if I moved to Baltimore. Yadda, yadda

I wouldn't think a New Yorker would have a pied a terre in Baltimore, but I have met quite a few Baltimoreans who kept a pied a terre in NYC. When the Inner Harbor and Federal Hill became more developed, some Washingtonians kept a place in Baltimore in addition to their boat so that they could use Baltimore as a base to pursue weekend boating on the Chesapeake.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:16 PM

524 posts, read 574,490 times
First, street parking? For that price in Baltimore I expect dedicated parking! A parking space is worth more than all those bedrooms. Second who is the buyer for that house? As someone said, a family will take their money to where the schools are better. E mpty nesters may not need or want a house so big. Better to get a smaller place in federal hill with parking.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:28 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
1530 Bolton St, Baltimore, MD 21217 | MLS #BA8712939 | Zillow

I think it's one of the most staggeringly beautiful houses I've ever seen. Decor a little chintzy in places, but what the heck. Great area. Exquisite in every department. And for the price of a 1 bed apartment in this suburb. I appreciate it's top market for Baltimore, but surely this is worth every cent? I find it staggering.

Left-wing moonbats from London where real estate is $1,000 a sq. ft. are impressed with US urban real estate.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM

504 posts, read 465,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Left-wing moonbats from London where real estate is $1,000 a sq. ft. are impressed with US urban real estate.
Ooh I'm not leftwing! Well, by Trump standards, but that excludes any human with cogent understanding. I could introduce you to friends who think I am ANYTHiNG but left wing.

Frankly, if I were in the position of imminent exchange of contracts (or however it works there) on this property, the thing that would be making me wobble is the prospect of Mayor DeRay Mckesson.

Thanks to everyone else who has responded. I guess I knew it anyway, but the sheer craziness of that much exquisite house (as opposed to how much McMansion) for so (relatively) little money just blows me away. I sort of think I would put up with tactical nuclear war going on two blocks away to actually live in the thing.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Ooh I'm not leftwing! Well, by Trump standards, but that excludes any human with cogent understanding.

Yup

Donald Trump's Top 10 Liberal Heresies | Mother Jones

Quote:
I could introduce you to friends who think I am ANYTHiNG but left wing

The George Soros Fan Club -- Eurotwit Division

Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 AM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Yup

Donald Trump's Top 10 Liberal Heresies | Mother Jones

The George Soros Fan Club -- Eurotwit Division
Have you ever actually added anything worthwhile to a conversation? I know it's boring out in the middle of nowhere, but do you honestly have nothing better to do with your life than make dumb comments in a thread about a place you have zero relation to?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Have you ever actually added anything worthwhile to a conversation? I know it's boring out in the middle of nowhere, but do you honestly have nothing better to do with your life than make dumb comments in a thread about a place you have zero relation to?

Zero relation to?

Well uh, I was born 'n' raised in Balamer, spent 30 yrs. there, and cried bitterly as it devolved into a cesspool.

The other guy was orgasmic over an overpriced urban dwelling and I merely pointed-out that his view was colored by the fact that he's from a city which features arguably the most expensive real estate in the world.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:44 PM

504 posts, read 465,370 times
Quote:

The other guy was orgasmic over an overpriced urban dwelling and I merely pointed-out that his view was colored by the fact that he's from a city which features arguably the most expensive real estate in the world.
Nope, I'd say NYC is more expensive.

So? I'd already conceded that there was no context between the places - merely that it appeared to be a fabulous house (I see it says 1920s on the details - it looks a lot older than that) for not a lot of money, comparatively speaking. No need to get abusive. You sound bored. Maybe you should move back in where there is some life.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Nope, I'd say NYC is more expensive.

So? I'd already conceded that there was no context between the places - merely that it appeared to be a fabulous house (I see it says 1920s on the details - it looks a lot older than that) for not a lot of money, comparatively speaking. No need to get abusive. You sound bored. Maybe you should move back in where there is some life.
The state assessment system's property lookup, which everyone calls SDAT, includes a construction date of 1920 on most properties built before 1920. 1530 Bolton Street is assessed for $449K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore