Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:32 PM

504 posts, read 465,213 times

Advertisements

1530 Bolton St, Baltimore, MD 21217 | MLS #BA8712939 | Zillow

I think it's one of the most staggeringly beautiful houses I've ever seen. Decor a little chintzy in places, but what the heck. Great area. Exquisite in every department. And for the price of a 1 bed apartment in this suburb. I appreciate it's top market for Baltimore, but surely this is worth every cent? I find it staggering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 PM

64 posts, read 73,746 times
Possible reasons as to why the house hasn't been bought yet. The price, schools, and city/town.

You can find a safer place to raise a family with better schools and a more quiet area, for cheaper. I.E Bel Air MD. Even Columbia MD. Examples: 6432 Brass Knob, Columbia, MD 21044 | MLS #HW9562450 | Zillow
1612 Lynndale Ct, Bel Air, MD 21014 | MLS #HR9562348 | Zillow

Maybe it's good for anyone trying to rent out the place and exist as an acting landlord (maybe for millennials to rent?), but so far, nobody's stepped up to the plate to buy this place out and put it up for rent. That's the only reason I can think of for wanting to buy this place. That and college...

This townhouse isn't the only victim to just sitting on the market being unbought. There are houses in Roland Park and even Hampden that have just been sitting in their neighborhoods, being unoccupied. It happens all across Baltimore. Houses for sale, and nobody wants to buy them until about at least a year later.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,664 times
You'd have to look at comparable houses to see what they sold for -- to know if this house has been well priced.

What do you find staggering?

Alley

Old 02-05-2016, 06:25 PM

504 posts, read 465,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
You'd have to look at comparable houses to see what they sold for -- to know if this house has been well priced.

What do you find staggering?

Alley
That such a beautiful, immaculate Georgian house in a very grand neighbourhood in a major American city can be had for such money. What on earth would a similar property fetch in DC or NYC? Totally out of context I appreciate, but in London in a central neighbourhood (which is, along some SW and NW suburbs and the East End, is the only place you would find such a house), you would be looking at at least $5M. More in the swankiest postcodes. Manhattanites could afford the Bolton Hill house as a pied a terre. Why don't they? I KNOW Baltimore is not London or NYC etc, but the sheer bang for bucks IS staggering.

Obviously too much otherwise it would have sold, and I KNOW it's Baltimore, but that is an utter bargain in anyone's money. Heck, I could sell up, buy it for cash and have enough over on which to live very comfortably for my remaining days.

Which may be fewer if I moved to Baltimore. Yadda, yadda

Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,922 times
People in the $500k+ category buy on location first, and housing type second. You may gawk at the style, but the reason a house like this would sell for millions in NW DC or NYC is precisely because it is in NW DC or NYC. If it were in Cleveland, or say Baltimore, it's worth far less. The truth is many of us who could afford $500k+ houses would not even consider Baltimore, and are fine with a smaller house in a much nicer neighborhood. Let's say in NW DC, Boston, or Seattle. Where $600k can get you in plenty of desirable neighborhoods.

So to answer your question.
1. It's Baltimore.
2. It's after the riots, and this is close to west Baltimore.
3. Location matters.

There is a large number of houses for sale or in foreclosure in that neighborhood, which tells me people are bailing from the neighborhood. Also a bad sign.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 AM

2,192 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
1530 Bolton St, Baltimore, MD 21217 | MLS #BA8712939 | Zillow

I think it's one of the most staggeringly beautiful houses I've ever seen. Decor a little chintzy in places, but what the heck. Great area. Exquisite in every department. And for the price of a 1 bed apartment in this suburb. I appreciate it's top market for Baltimore, but surely this is worth every cent? I find it staggering.
A nice looking place, for sure, but the market's pretty small for a house that big and expensive in Baltimore. I certainly wouldn't want a place that big - who would? I guess if you have 5+ kids, but then you likely wouldn't be living in Baltimore (unless you're poor/unable to afford a better school district, of course).

And I wouldn't spend $600K+ to live in Baltimore, either. Which I don't mean as a bad thing - Baltimore's a very affordable city and there are a lot of nice rowhomes for half that, is all. Spending an extra $300K for an unneeded 5th and 6th bedroom is beyond excessive and is something only a very specific buyer would do.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:27 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
I don't think the riots and location is the culprit to why this house hasn't sold. If the riots were a factor, then why has nobody fled? If location was the factor, why do people in Guilford live were they live? Baltimoreans tend to accept where their house borders, which means that two blocks from the ghetto is not a big deal. I just think that its a very expensive house and people are not looking to spend a huge amount on a home. Plus in this price range its generally old money. Bolton Hill Is the closest environment to antique Baltimore and a highly desired neighborhood. Reservoir Hill is also a cheaper alternative for the same house and quit frankly, even more architectural intriguing. And Bufflove hits in on the nail, its very expensive to maintain.

But it will sell, price needs to come down a little bit.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Yes, this place would cost millions and millions in NYC, DC, or SF. Baltimore has some homes that are cray cray. It's unfortunate though that they're in Baltimore. Crime, schools, taxes, bad public transportation, etc. are all reasons why Bmore is less desirable to live than DC, SF, or NYC.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:16 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
There is a large number of houses for sale or in foreclosure in that neighborhood, which tells me people are bailing from the neighborhood. Also a bad sign.
I know people that live in that neighborhood and they seem to be happy enough and not thinking about bailing out. I lived in Charles Village in the 1990's, so I know what a neighborhood that people are bailing out of looks like - not like Bolton Hill. There are 13 houses and a few condos for sale in Bolton Hill. That is just about what I would expect. Since it contradicts what I hear, can you give me the source of your information about houses for sale and foreclosures? For what it is worth (not much) the Zestimate for Bolton Hill has been trending upward for the past eight months.

It is true that any price over $600K for a rowhouse in Baltimore pushes the market. At that price, if the house has any flaws it will be slow to sell. There are plenty of nearby houses for sale in a similar price range. In this case the buyer's choices regarding the maintenance of the structure, kitchen design, and even paint colors make all the difference.

Finally, I curious about the posters from DC who are always trashing Baltimore. Did you live in Baltimore at one time? Is there some other source for your seemingly detailed knowledge of the city? I grew up outside of DC and I would never claim to have any knowledge of DC real estate.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:32 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I know people that live in that neighborhood and they seem to be happy enough and not thinking about bailing out. I lived in Charles Village in the 1990's, so I know what a neighborhood that people are bailing out of looks like - not like Bolton Hill. There are 13 houses and a few condos for sale in Bolton Hill. That is just about what I would expect. Since it contradicts what I hear, can you give me the source of your information about houses for sale and foreclosures? For what it is worth (not much) the Zestimate for Bolton Hill has been trending upward for the past eight months.

It is true that any price over $600K for a rowhouse in Baltimore pushes the market. At that price, if the house has any flaws it will be slow to sell. There are plenty of nearby houses for sale in a similar price range. In this case the buyer's choices regarding the maintenance of the structure, kitchen design, and even paint colors make all the difference.

Finally, I curious about the posters from DC who are always trashing Baltimore. Did you live in Baltimore at one time? Is there some other source for your seemingly detailed knowledge of the city? I grew up outside of DC and I would never claim to have any knowledge of DC real estate.
Bolton Hill is Roland Park for rowhomes, nobody is fleeing from there anytime soon. If anything Madison Park the only complaint next door will become better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore