Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:52 PM

45 posts, read 93,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Correct; the prevalence of gun usage is a serious issue in the third world+the U.S.
A lot of the violence is non gun related.
Knives kill easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

45 posts, read 93,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yawn. I smell a swamp.

I just got back from a week in Baltimore and everyone there was very nice. It's according to the company you keep.
So as a tourist, in a tourist situation you think everything is swell there. What a worthless sentiment.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM

675 posts, read 724,127 times
I think the Washington Post has it right. Baltimore clearly has become deplorable. My family has resided here for 55 years and we have watched the city move towards more crime, not less. Our elected officials continue to focus on rehabilitating criminals and I can tell you from experience there is no such thing. The high teenage pregnancy rate and the failure for families to socialize their children continues to be a significant problem in African American families. Although Hispanic communities in Baltimore have a high teenage birth rate their families remain intact and they do not have the same criminal behaviors as AA's do. If you pay attention to the news media in Baltimore reporting on crime their focus is almost never on public safety. The focus on public safety is almost entirely overlooked. When the discussion comes up on crime the experts just say the incarceration doesn't work on lowering crime. What's new ??? It was never meant to rehabilitate criminals. The purpose of incarceration is to separate them from the rest of society. If they are allowed to remain on the street they will just continue to have children at the tax payers expense. After all how many of them support their children financially, much less emotionally.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
I think the Washington Post has it right. Baltimore clearly has become deplorable. My family has resided here for 55 years and we have watched the city move towards more crime, not less. Our elected officials continue to focus on rehabilitating criminals and I can tell you from experience there is no such thing. The high teenage pregnancy rate and the failure for families to socialize their children continues to be a significant problem in African American families. Although Hispanic communities in Baltimore have a high teenage birth rate their families remain intact and they do not have the same criminal behaviors as AA's do. If you pay attention to the news media in Baltimore reporting on crime their focus is almost never on public safety. The focus on public safety is almost entirely overlooked. When the discussion comes up on crime the experts just say the incarceration doesn't work on lowering crime. What's new ??? It was never meant to rehabilitate criminals. The purpose of incarceration is to separate them from the rest of society. If they are allowed to remain on the street they will just continue to have children at the tax payers expense. After all how many of them support their children financially, much less emotionally.
Concur 100%.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Growing up my well-traveled father, who was involved in the transportation logistics industry, mentioned a few times that he never met anyone from Baltimore that he liked. Now that I have been exposed to the Baltimore area, I can see why. Of course not everyone is a precocious prick, but I do think that Baltimorean's do suffer from an identity crisis. Not northern, not southern, but the worst of both.
I'd say it's the best of both.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:16 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Why are there so many Washingtonians on this thread, in the Baltimore Forum? I can't understand that if you don't like a place, why do you keep going back to it? I could understand if this sub-forum, or even Baltimore City itself, was paying you for your time and energy, but you devote this much to Baltimore for free?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I'd say it's the best of both.
Absolutely.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:29 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Why are there so many Washingtonians on this thread, in the Baltimore Forum? I can't understand that if you don't like a place, why do you keep going back to it? I could understand if this sub-forum, or even Baltimore City itself, was paying you for your time and energy, but you devote this much to Baltimore for free?
Maybe some of the hate comes from the frustration of having to pay out their arses to live in the D.C. metro area. Or, because D.C. has become a dull transient city with no culture or personality.

Alot of them don't know what they're talking about. They know nothing about Baltimore today or it's history. They think watching 'The Wire' qualifies them to speak on it.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittery View Post
I am a broken record myself, but to state it one more time.

Baltimore is considered one of the most violent cities in the world.

On this crazy dangerous planet, B-more is 19th on the list of murders in cities with more than 300K.
More dangerous than Guatemala City! (just google images for GC and you'll be horrified that Bmore is more dangerous)
In pockets. You should not be afraid for your life at the corner of Charles and University Parkway. Something is amiss...

Old 02-22-2016, 05:17 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Quote:
Why are there so many Washingtonians on this thread, in the Baltimore Forum?
Are you serious with this question????!!!!

First off, it shouldn't matter that Washingtonians are on "this thread, in the Baltimore Forum." Since, I was the original topic creator, I welcome input from D.C., or anyone else as a matter of fact, who can share insight and perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: