Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 02:25 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times

Advertisements

Are there any plans to reduce headways or use larger buses? This bus always seems to be overcrowded but it's otherwise a great route for connecting destinations. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 02:19 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,497,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Are there any plans to reduce headways or use larger buses? This bus always seems to be overcrowded but it's otherwise a great route for connecting destinations. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere
Are you talking about the Purple Route for the Charm City Circulator? I haven't ridden in a couple of months but the buses usually aren't crowded when I am on them. The one time it was crowed was when the time between buses was more than 20 minutes. My suspicion is that, despite the management's lip services to consistent headways, the drivers drive at their own pace and end up bunching up (just like MTA buses do.)

Old 02-21-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Are you talking about the Purple Route for the Charm City Circulator? I haven't ridden in a couple of months but the buses usually aren't crowded when I am on them. The one time it was crowed was when the time between buses was more than 20 minutes. My suspicion is that, despite the management's lip services to consistent headways, the drivers drive at their own pace and end up bunching up (just like MTA buses do.)
In my very limited experience the buses have been overcrowded between the downtown and penn station and been right on time. Otoh headways were 18 minutes so perhaps it just needs better headways on Saturdays... I've also ridden on Fridays and it's been extremely overcrowded but Fridays are typically busy travel days on all modes and could be considered peak.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:31 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,017,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
In my very limited experience the buses have been overcrowded between the downtown and penn station and been right on time. Otoh headways were 18 minutes so perhaps it just needs better headways on Saturdays... I've also ridden on Fridays and it's been extremely overcrowded but Fridays are typically busy travel days on all modes and could be considered peak.
Are you talking about the light rail in Baltimore? The term 'Purple Route' in the last couple years in Maryland generally refers to the proposed/planned light rail route near College Park connecting several legs of the DC Metro system.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Are you talking about the light rail in Baltimore? The term 'Purple Route' in the last couple years in Maryland generally refers to the proposed/planned light rail route near College Park connecting several legs of the DC Metro system.
no, the charm city circulator. It may have been unusually busy due to the unusually warm and pleasant weather. I wonder if they increase the headways for winter..thus if you get springtime demand with wintertime schedules you get overcrowded buses.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 PM

757 posts, read 2,544,917 times
I've found that it can get very overcrowded during the morning and afternoon rush hours, as you noted particularly between downtown and Penn Station. In the morning, there are also a lot of students who get on at Fayette St. headed south who can be a bit rowdy. At most other times, I've found it to be not so bad.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:38 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,497,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
I've found that it can get very overcrowded during the morning and afternoon rush hours, as you noted particularly between downtown and Penn Station. In the morning, there are also a lot of students who get on at Fayette St. headed south who can be a bit rowdy. At most other times, I've found it to be not so bad.
I rode yesterday during rush hour and the bus had a moderate number of people standing. I would consider the bus to be full enough that a few more passengers would have caused problems with getting on and off and therefore slowed down. In other words, the bus was running at peak efficiency. The bus still had enough passengers to fill all the seats when I got off at North Avenue.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 PM

the bus at rush hour today was full but not overcrowded. bus passed us up a few minutes ago because it was overcrowded
eta: second bus also overcrowded

Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 AM

fwiw a regular rider said it only gets crowded on weekend nights when service runs later as well as occasionally on Saturday and more often sundays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore