Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post

The other things that might work are starting a CrabFest (centered around seafood, which we are already known for), or some kind of mega healthcare expo Hopkins would anchor. Maybe something around African-American social activism could work too since we're a hot topic right now. Heh.

and that has to be the worst idea I've heard all day.

Why would anyone fly across the U.S. and buy tickets for a festival based around your problems (which America is sick of hearing about, btw).

My BIL wanted me to help him build a patio, and I won't even drive across town for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 11:45 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post

Why would anyone fly across the U.S. and buy tickets for a festival based around your problems (which America is sick of hearing about, btw).

My BIL wanted me to help him build a patio, and I won't even drive across town for him.
https://www.facebook.com/activistartsfestival

Twin Cities Social Justice Arts Festival

https://beyondfestival.com.au/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expres...stice_Festival

Social Justice Festival

Any time you have a bunch of peopel with an interest in a specific topic, you have the opportunity to host some kind of gathering of like-minded people meant to celebrate/explore that topic. Conference, festival, whatever.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:37 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,285 times
Those festivals do not have the same appeal. If you are trying to have a SXSW level event, it's not going to be centered around social justice and problems. Proceeds can benefit a cause, sure - but people go to festivals like SX to enjoy themselves, not to be given a guilt trip.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:

You say "your problems". Wrong you are. They are America's problems, and no matter where you live in America, they are your problems too. Don't try to hide because you have contributed no matter where you are.

Last edited by james777; 04-14-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Maybe semantics, but is Artscape viewed differently than an art fair? Because the Ann Arbor (homestate, alma mater, etc) Art Fairs annually attract over 500K people in 3.5 days...and it has the bands, food, etc in addition to several juried art fairs...

Baltimore doesn't have SXSW because it doesn't have Dell (with the Dellionaires) and a school the size of UT-Austin close by. Combine that with Austin's long reputation of being one of America's (and possibly the world's) best live music scenes...

I don't know how it is viewed and it probably is semantics, but Artscape is billed as the largest free art festival in the country.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Hahahahahahahaah!!! This is a complete fabrication and LIE! It's quite different from Artscape with its line up high-profile celebrities, artists, and musicians, filmmakers, politicians, students and general population. This year, your liberal puppet master, Barack Obama spoke at SXSW. The man lives right down the street, has he ever made spoken at any conference or festival here in Baltimore?!!!

You are right, the man lives right down the street and he has never spoken at anything in Baltimore. I am sure it would have helped if he had opened his mouth during the Freddy Gray riots, but like an idiot he kept silent. He didn't have any problem opening his mouth during the Trayvon Martin saga though, even though it was a serious criminal case working its way through the courts at the time and should not have been commented on. One would think that a man educated as a lawyer would know better. I can see why so many blacks think that Barack is such a disappointment.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:48 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Those festivals do not have the same appeal. If you are trying to have a SXSW level event, it's not going to be centered around social justice and problems. Proceeds can benefit a cause, sure - but people go to festivals like SX to enjoy themselves, not to be given a guilt trip.
They don't have to have the same appeal. They have to have their own appeal.

The idea that Baltimore should be able to make a weeks long indie music fest happen here just because is a fallacy IMO. Those things grow out of a genuine need and an existing scene. This region doesn't need its own SXSW.

If you want tens of thousands of people to descend on Baltmore for a week and spend their money here, you need to build it around something that already has a lot of inherent support and institutions in the area. We have existing scenes around visual arts, theater, seafood, healthcare, and African American/urban activism. Pick something and put the 10-15 years in in takes to start something to grow it to that SXSW type level.

You think social activism stuff is a downer but a lot of other people don't. Some people dedicate their lives to that and they might want to come together and exchange ideas and listen to music and enjoy "revolutionary" art. They already do it in other places.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:21 PM

777 posts, read 881,278 times
"You think social activism stuff is a downer but a lot of other people don't. Some people dedicate their lives to that and they might want to come together and exchange ideas and listen to music and enjoy "revolutionary" art. They already do it in other places."

You just described Burning Man BEFORE the corporations took it over.

I don't understand the fascination with an overrated and bloated event like SXSW.
Even people that supported it in its early days criticize it for the money grabbing
event it has become.

Last edited by feck; 04-14-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 05:15 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You are right, the man lives right down the street and he has never spoken at anything in Baltimore. I am sure it would have helped if he had opened his mouth during the Freddy Gray riots, but like an idiot he kept silent. He didn't have any problem opening his mouth during the Trayvon Martin saga though, even though it was a serious criminal case working its way through the courts at the time and should not have been commented on. One would think that a man educated as a lawyer would know better. I can see why so many blacks think that Barack is such a disappointment.
He did. He echoed SRBs comments, calling the young kids involved in the rioting "thugs". Why can't he comment on situations happening in America?

Those that hate him will hate no matter what he says or does; whether he speaks in support of Trayvon or calls the young kids in Baltimore thugs.

But, overall as far as being a disappointment, I concur totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: