Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say quickly that I had a great time in Baltimore this past weekend and learned a lot about the city. Obviously only so much that you can see in 3 days but my entire group was very impressed. Vibrant touristy areas and nightlife, beautiful architecture and views, awesome neighborhoods, exciting startup community...I probably missed some things but yeah it was a good trip. Sure there are a lot of problems in Baltimore, but there are tons of positive things happening as well.

We were on foot the whole time so our footprint stayed within the boundaries of Penn Station/Station North down to Federal Hill and across to Fell's Point. I'd hope to have more time to explore Hamden, Canton, and maybe Locust Point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 02:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
Ah. So you didn't really leave downtown and a couple of the upscale neighborhoods immediately adjacent.

6-8 blocks away is where the fun begins. If only you had hoofed it just a little farther.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:56 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Ah. So you didn't really leave downtown and a couple of the upscale neighborhoods immediately adjacent.

6-8 blocks away is where the fun begins. If only you had hoofed it just a little farther.
Yeah, would have been a whole different perspective.

Positivity is just not allowed in this forum.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Yeah, would have been a whole different perspective.

Positivity is just not allowed in this forum.
Actually, I think it is possible to visit the some of the most depressed and depressing parts of the city and still come away with an overall positive impression. Whenever I visit a new city, I always try to find and visit the worst neighborhood. In Baltimore, the worst neighborhoods are a fairly large part of the mix, but in every city, the worst neighborhoods are part of the mix. The thing to remember is that there is always a mix and no one area says everything about a city. People that say otherwise just have an axe to grind.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post

Yeah unfortunately we did not. Did tour about a 5-6 block radius around Johns Hopkins Hospital, but even that area (though not great) is supposedly light years improved from what it once was. We actually met with the housing commissioner and the head of code enforcement to discuss the vacants to value program, so I got to see pictures and maps of good/bad areas. LOL...but obviously very different from walking around and exploring.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:36 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Actually, I think it is possible to visit the some of the most depressed and depressing parts of the city and still come away with an overall positive impression. Whenever I visit a new city, I always try to find and visit the worst neighborhood. In Baltimore, the worst neighborhoods are a fairly large part of the mix, but in every city, the worst neighborhoods are part of the mix. The thing to remember is that there is always a mix and no one area says everything about a city. People that say otherwise just have an axe to grind.
Yes, I'm very familiar with the mix and tourist should not be wandering around certain neighborhoods.

So, you recommend first time visitors stroll down Pulaski St? Or take E. Lanvale all the way to W. Lanvale? How about a friendly stroll down Bentalou St. Meet up on N. Carey or S. Carey St. Then swing around through W. Fayette. Idk, anywhere in Sandtown sounds like a treat. And if they make it out of W. Baltimore we can suggest some E. Baltimore neighborhoods. Stawwwppp.

You're a cheerleader for the city and that's great. I think Baltimore is a great city. But to suggest visitors visit the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore is irresponsible.

Last edited by redd1skng; 04-26-2016 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Yes, I'm very familiar with the mix and tourist should not be wandering around certain neighborhoods.

So, you recommend first time visitors stroll down Pulaski St? Or take E. Lanvale all the way to W. Lanvale? How about a friendly stroll down Bentalou St. Meet up on N. Carey or S. Carey St. Then swing around through W. Fayette. Idk, anywhere in Sandtown sounds like a treat. And if they make it out of W. Baltimore we can suggest some E. Baltimore neighborhoods. Stawwwppp.

You're a cheerleader for the city and that's great. I think Baltimore is a great city. But to suggest visitors visit the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore is irresponsible.
Come on now. This was a group, not a lone tourist.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:27 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Whenever I visit a new city, I always try to find and visit the worst neighborhood.
Why? What benefit is there in doing this? How does this improve your visit to other cities as a tourist?

Old 04-27-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why? What benefit is there in doing this? How does this improve your visit to other cities as a tourist?
Everybody can visit wherever they want. Still, if you want to get an overall feel for a city, you need to visit various parts of it. I was under the impression that the visiting group was trying to get some sort of overall feel for the place. Also, I don't think troubled areas bother me as much as they bother other people. And that is a good thing, since I live in Baltimore.

Sometimes I feel like a lot of people don't even want to know about people that are struggling or failing. Other people seem to be angered by other people's troubles. For both of those groups, happily living in Baltimore is pretty much impossible. That leaves the City's population as a self selected group that can deal with living in the same jurisdiction with a lot of troubled people. I also leaves some people in the suburbs angry and upset with every single Baltimore resident.

I will never forget my co-worker in Towson that told me that I was a murderer because I lived Baltimore. He said that he believed in personal responsibility and that all city residents need to take personal responsibility for criminal acts that take place withing the city limits. I will never forget this statement that he made: "Responsible people must be held responsible." In other words, city residents that don't commit crimes are far more responsible for crime than those who do! He felt that the very act of living in Baltimore is immoral.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:46 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I will never forget my co-worker in Towson that told me that I was a murderer because I lived Baltimore. He said that he believed in personal responsibility and that all city residents need to take personal responsibility for criminal acts that take place withing the city limits. I will never forget this statement that he made: "Responsible people must be held responsible." In other words, city residents that don't commit crimes are far more responsible for crime than those who do! He felt that the very act of living in Baltimore is immoral.
Your coworker is confusing Personal Responsibility with Collective Responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore