Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,174 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in the next year from Connecticut to Maryland. We actually chose Maryland by a process of elimination. Now we are trying to settle on a few possible choices for a town, and will be coming down in the next few weeks to visit. I am moving with my mother and boyfriend, my mother is retired, and my boyfriend works remotely for his company and will continue to do so, so I am really the only one who will need a job. I'm a CPA, and it appears that there are plenty of jobs to chose from, so I am not sure I will need to work IN Baltimore, but want to be prepared for that possibility. We don't want anything too remote, and will definitely be visiting Pasadena on our trip, but would like to get some other suggestions. My mother's one non-negotiable is that it be direct waterfront, and I would like to be within 45 minutes (or so) from Baltimore in case I need to commute there. Our budget is about $900k, and we would like a safe area. I have heard some bad things about towns like Glen Burnie, but if it is in a waterfront community, of ~1mil homes, is it safe to assume it is a safe neighborhood? I appreciate any and all suggestions and/or warnings. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 PM

34,103 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsattani View Post
I will be moving in the next year from Connecticut to Maryland.
Do you already own a nice sized sailboat?
Quote:
I'm a CPA, and it appears that there are plenty of jobs to chose from,
so I am not sure I will need to work IN Baltimore, but want to be prepared for that possibility.
Or work remotely for a firm IN Baltimore (or anywhere else).
Quote:
We don't want anything too remote, and will definitely be visiting Pasadena on our trip, but would like to get some other suggestions.
Pasadena is a good place to have a boat. Once off the Peninsula it's okay for commuting too.
Quote:
My mother's one non-negotiable is that it be direct waterfront,
Ha! I knew there would be boats involved here!
On the way south be sure to spend some time in Havre DeGrace Md LINK
---

At some point the JOB situation requirements will dictate the HOUSE situation practicals.
But you have many more choices to pick through than most will. You'll be fine.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,980 times
Pasadena is more blue collar than somewhere like Arnold or Severna Park. Cape St Clair is also a good place to look. If you land a job in Baltimore, though Pasadena would shorten your commute times. You will have a lot of traffic to contend with if you have to traverse Ft Smallwood Road in Pasadena though. Mountain Road can also get busy, as well as Rt 100. Just had a bad accident there today, but it was against the afternoon rush hour.

Arnold is pretty much just a housing community, whereas Severna Park is more of a mix of housing and retail. Cape St Clair has some retail but is mostly housing.

Further south, there are a lot of options below the Annapolis area. From there it is also a doable commute to DC. A CPA can probably find a lot of jobs there.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 AM

Thank you, Cruzincat. A lot of great information, I had not heard of Cape St Clair, but it is now on my radar, thanks again!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 AM

Thank you, MrRational. If my mother has anything to do with it there WILL be a boat involved! I could live a bit inland (as you get a much bigger house for the price) but she is on the water here in CT, and can’t live without it.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 AM

34,103 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
If my mother has anything to do with it there WILL be a boat involved!
And if Momma ain't happy...

Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,980 times
Quote:
Thank you, MrRational. If my mother has anything to do with it there WILL be a boat involved! I could live a bit inland (as you get a much bigger house for the price) but she is on the water here in CT, and can’t live without it.
Keep in mind that you can get more house for less, if you are willing to live on the Eastern Shore. Kent Island for example is only a little farther of a commute, although the bridge can get slow during rush hour.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,516 times
I live on Kent Island and absolutely love it ! although the traffic in the warmer months are not appealing. Laid back on the water and can get to Annapolis in about 20 minutes and about 45 minutes to DC or Baltimore depending again on traffic. Other places to consider outside of Pasadena i would say Cape st. Claire, Edgewater

Old 07-22-2018, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 24,560 times
Hey there! I, too love Kent Island as you can see from my Username! $900k would afford you quite a bit here on the water versus in Anne Arundel County. It is a quiet little island right on the other side of the bay bridge that offers beaches, boat ramps, waterfront dining, dock bars, biking trails, local small owned businesses and friendly people! I am happy to help in any way that I can! Cheers!

Old 07-27-2018, 12:08 PM

Thank you mslo2212 and Kent Island Kathy,
Kent Island is definitely on our radar. We will be coming down on August 9th for a few days, and will certainly be visiting the island. I think it would be ideal for me, and perhaps my Mom, however, my boyfriend moved to CT to be with me from Los Angeles (West Hollywood) and although we live in a city of 50,000+(Milford CT) he feels like we live in the middle of nowhere, so I fear that Kent Island may be a little too quiet for him, as he really likes to be in the thick of it.

A couple of questions about Kent Island: from exploring homes via Zillow, it seems like almost all of the homes we have looked at are part of a Home Owner’s Association, is this typical for the area? We would prefer to NOT be part of an association. Also, another poster on another thread mentioned driving 30 minutes for a gallon of milk, are there grocery stores on the island?

One more (weather related) question. We have, of course, been to Maryland many times, and have been getting all sorts of weather statistics for different areas. Living on the water in CT, we find that our weather is a little warmer in the winter and a little cooler in the summer, than it is just a mile inland. Do you find that your weather is any different than the mainland? Thank you so much for your reply and any additional information you can share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore