Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 16,743 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I will be moving back to the DMV area in a little less than a year. My husband will likely look for employment in Baltimore, MD. Can anyone provide any insight on Abingdon, MD, Aberdeen, MD, and/or Havre de Grace? We will have a two year old, so we are looking for safety, good schools, parks, sense of community, etc. What is there to do in the area that would not require a trip to Baltimore? Also, any neighborhoods to steer clear of? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 02:10 PM

190 posts, read 167,410 times
Abingdon and Aberdeen are similar in location and demographics. Generally thought of as lower end with the military families and workers nearby and lower quality schools, but no real troubles as in Baltimore city. Havre de Grace is a smaller port town with a nicely redone downtown and more of a small town feel. Houses should be more expensive here and schools may be better. Commute is longer to Aberdeen PG though and further away to Baltimore area shopping/cultural events. Check crime stats for all three areas and school statistics using Zillow for an idea. Best way is to make a trip and drive around. Baltimore area is very different from midwest and west coast, so if you are from these areas there will be a culture shock.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:32 PM

Okay, great! Thank you for the information. I am originally from Northern VA but we moved down south several years ago. We are looking to move back into the area and we are considering Baltimore's suburbs. Within the next few months we will likely take a trip up there. Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:55 PM

Any opinions on Bel Air in comparison to the areas I have already mentioned? From my research, it looks like the schools are great, but the crime is somewhat high.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,773 times
Exclamation ABONGDON MD Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi102390 View Post
Hello!

My family and I will be moving back to the DMV area in a little less than a year. My husband will likely look for employment in Baltimore, MD. Can anyone provide any insight on Abingdon, MD, Aberdeen, MD, and/or Havre de Grace? We will have a two year old, so we are looking for safety, good schools, parks, sense of community, etc. What is there to do in the area that would not require a trip to Baltimore? Also, any neighborhoods to steer clear of? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
Don't know if you are still hunting, but if you are do not buy a home in Philadelphia Station on Federal or Valley Forge Lanes. Homeowners on Federal Lane who run the HOA are out of control. We have watched as they have harassed a homeowner to the point where that homeowner had to flee the area for their families safety. This homeowner eventually sold the house and moved out of the neighborhood. They started by filing numerous peace order requests and then upgraded to Criminal Charges until such point as this interracial family would move. This group is racist and will start in on you for every little thing they can find to complain about. One of its members is a retired Harford County Police Officer who has a checkered past including being charged with Sexual Harassment and forced to retire. Avoid any home in this subdivision as these people are trouble.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
^
I wonder if that's you. And you added nothing to this thread. Interesting, Peace Order Request?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:55 PM

44 posts, read 242,761 times
I've lived in HarCo my whole life and drove to Baltimore to work for 30 years. If I would rank your area's in question I would pick Abingdon first, Havre de Grace second, and Aberdeen last. Our first house was in Abingdon but it became too congested and a lot of rentals were popping up. Make sure you investigate school districts before buying Don't let the Realtor tell you. Call the Board of Ed. Abingdon is split between Bel Air schools and Edgewood schools. The Bel Air schools are somewhat better. I would look into the Fallston or Forest Hill area if I was searching today. Too congested elsewhere. Also crime is everywhere but its mostly crimes of opportunities such as stealing out of cars for drug money. We do have a major heroin problem which they try to keep secret. Taxes are high along with water & sewer. You need to pay for trash pick up or haul it to the dump yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore