Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 13,032 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I need some help and would love to hear from anyone from the area (or who has relocated)!

I just relocated here from Chicago for work. I'm a single, white (straight) 30- something female, and am used to living in the city, but Baltimore is a new experience for me! Right now, I'm living (short-term) in West Baltimore near University of MD, and have been walking to work downtown. Even for being from a city, I've found this area a bit intimidating, and scary, frankly!

A few things have surprised me--how expensive it is, for one. Everyone had talked about how affordable it is here before I came, but between the outrageous property taxes, and the housing prices, I'm not finding it all that inexpensive here. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong neighborhoods!

I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom condo or rowhouse between $250k-$300k, preferrably within a 20 minute driving commute to work (I work in downtown), in a relatively safe neighborhood. I don't need to be right in the middle of the action, but would like some sort of shops/restaurants or single life in the area. In Chicago, living in the suburbs as a single person was the kiss of death. Is it like that here?

I've more or less ruled out Federal Hill (too pricey). And not sure about the parking situation in Canton, but it didn't seem too good. So as alternates, I've been exploring Hampden, Homeland, Mt. Vernon, Wyman Park, and the Mills areas.

Does anyone have any experience in any of these areas or any others? Everyone is always talking about Fed. Hill or Canton, but I'm not really hearing anything about any other areas.

Thanks so much for any help/insights you can provide!

Beth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 06:21 PM

32 posts, read 273,820 times
I'm also a single white female in my 20's so I figured I'd offer some comments on the areas you were looking into:

Hampden - I live here and for the past couple of years this was supposed to be the "next trendy neighborhood," but its still just the same old area it always was. Housing prices have certainly changed, pretty much tripling in the past couple of years, but you can get a 2-3 br townhouse for $250-$300k. Its a safe working class neighborhood, centrally located, but there is a lot of nuisance crime(prostitution and drugs, theft, vandalism). 36th St "The Avenue" has a few bars and restaurants, but the neighborhood has not and probably will not live up to any of the hype you've heard. There are a LOT of houses on the market right now, as many people who moved in in the past couple of years are moving out. The main appeal of the area is that its one of the few safe, working class, affordable neighborhoods in the city. Plus there's plenty of parking I would say Wyman Park is very similar, except a bit more expensive.

I lived briefly in Canton, and it is great for the social scene, but you're right that there is no where to f*ckin park and it gets old really fast circling the neighborhood when you want to go home. There is also a lot more crime here. Everyone I know who lives in Canton or Fells has had their car or home broken into at least once, many multiple times.

Homeland is pretty expensive, but nice. A nice benefit to Homeland or Wyman Park is that you could walk over to the bars and shops around JHU.

You may want to look into the Towson area (northern Baltimore suburb). Its in the county and within a 20-30 minute commute of downtown. Lots of fun nightlife, lots of singles, less of the problems associated with city living.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 85,603 times
I would vote for Towson. You're taking your life in your hands in any of the city neighborhoods mentioned. If you have to live here, be careful.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:00 PM

54 posts, read 255,795 times
Baltimore is very expensive with no value added. Honestly, I would move to the county ( at least you will be comparatively safe(r)). I am married w/no kids and our combined salary of over 100K cannot afford us anything in a decent, safe area.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:43 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Affordable condos

Let me suggest a somewhat unconventional solution.
I believe that the best condo prices, by far, in Baltimore are in complexes in the Upper Park Heights corridor. As in anything in life, there are tradeoffs. Not much of a single life because those complexes primarily cater to aging Jewish residents. But it's affordable, safe and there is shopping nearby and downtown is 15 minutes' drive away.
Take a look at what's available and see whether it makes any sense. Margaret Rome is among real estate agents specializing in this area.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 13,032 times
Default thanks

Thanks for all the feedback people have sent in--it's really been helpful. Though I still don't know where I'm going to buy! My own view of the city had not been great.

I'm considering Homeland or Locust Point now. Both feel pretty neighborhoody and a little less dangerous (plus have parking!).

I'm still open to more feedback if anyone wants to send more in. Thanks!

beth

Old 01-16-2007, 04:53 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,256 times
I like Upper Fells Point. You can walk down to Fells Point for conveniences but it's much cheaper than being close to the water.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,715 times
I live in Hampden - and I will agree that it's hasn't changed a ton. That said, I absolutely love living here and will recommend this neighborhood over Fells Pt, Canton or Federal Hill. Housing is still affordable - and you can walk to lots of great shops and restaurants.

You have to be more of a progressive-minded person to like living in Hampden. You have to be one of the people who supports local business and is willing to pay a little extra to buy from the local shops, and you have someone who likes being friends with people from various ages and socio-economic classes. I definitely feel safer walking around my neighborhood at night than in other areas. I like knowing that my neighbors watch out for each other.
The teenagers are the biggest problem in this neighborhood - so vandalism is definitely a concern. If you like the general location, maybe you should consider the condos at Clipper Mill?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,715 times
Oh if you're considering Homeland, you may like Guilford, Tuscany/Canterbury, Northwood, Roland Park too. You may want to look into Hamilton/Lauraville too. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,884 times
Default Don't Forget To Check!

If you're thinking about moving to Locust Point, have a look at Maryland's sex offender registry online. There seems to be an odd concentration of sex offenders in that area, for what reason I have no idea.

But at any rate, as a single woman moving into a new city, you should check anyway. Use zip code 21230, and there's also an interactive map that you can use that shows you the proximity to whatever address you plug in.

Here's a link to the registry:

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/sorSearch/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: