Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:01 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
If you're African American living in Baltimore, who . . . smells good ...
It's especially important to smell good when you need to remove your shoes and socks in order to count past 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Now, there are some Blacks who want to be white or light skin (skin bleaching - that's an entirely whole other discussion).
In the "old days" of Baltimore, sometimes blacks tried to appear white(er) by powdering themselves profusely with flour. I don't know for sure, but it seems logical that the preferred brand would have been Martha White.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:10 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Baltimore needs more trees and fewer houses since there are fewer people.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:55 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
That's one of the reasons I prefer North Baltimore to most rowhouse centric neighborhoods, where some streets have nothing but rowhomes, asphalt, sidewalks and a lonely 10 year old anemic looking tree.

I would feel so depressed living in a place where the number of living trees and plants were out numbered by the number of people.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:43 AM

80 posts, read 108,119 times
these empty hoehouses were once "trees" or made of trees (i.e. the wood).

Quote:

Old 07-06-2016, 05:48 AM

80 posts, read 108,119 times
they'd get the jobs, that's why.

I've seen Mexicans act and talk white too so they'd fit in the barista culture (Starbucks, etc.).

Even worse, whites trying to act Black or Mexican because the girl/guy they like is ____ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
In the "old days" of Baltimore, sometimes blacks tried to appear white(er) by powdering themselves profusely with flour. I don't know for sure, but it seems logical that the preferred brand would have been Martha White.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:37 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
That's one of the reasons I prefer North Baltimore to most rowhouse centric neighborhoods, where some streets have nothing but rowhomes, asphalt, sidewalks and a lonely 10 year old anemic looking tree.

I would feel so depressed living in a place where the number of living trees and plants were out numbered by the number of people.
There is a lot of vacant housing baltimore and underused vacant lots. Because of pollution, these places may not work for food production, but planting native trees would be a great idea. They could help to regulate the summertime heat. IMO there is no point in redeveloping some of them since not everyone wants to live in Baltimore. There is too much housing stock there as it is. More trees would also help in the efforts to clean up the tributaries to the Chesapeake.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
Baltimore needs more trees and better people.

Quote:

Old 07-10-2016, 09:12 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
The 1m you boast of was during the 1950's when manufacturing was very strong in Baltimore.

What happened?!!

White flight! Baltimore's white ethnics moved out of Baltimore because they didn't want to live, work and play around the African American community. They took all their companies, talent and resources out of the city; the rest is history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Lack of space?

600,000+ now.

When we had 1,000,000, crime was a fraction of what it is now.

Try another excuse.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:36 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,184 times
Quote:
White flight! Baltimore's white ethnics moved out of Baltimore because they didn't want to live, work and play around the African American community. They took all their companies, talent and resources out of the city; the rest is history.
Reality check:

My parents moved out the city, but it had nothing to do with black folks. They couldn't handle the public school system and a mortgage on a cheap little house in the county was much, much cheaper than private school tuition. Their commute increased by 10-15 minutes, taxes went down and it was still basically the same area of town and lifestyle. That's just a reality for many, and I'm pretty thankful I didn't have to attend Walbrook (is it even still called that anymore?)

African Americans could not have had less to do with my 'white flight' experience. If anything, there were more black people on my block in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: