Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:14 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,371,560 times

Advertisements

I don't throw ALL white folks under the racism bus. Some of them are really uneducated, misinformed and are actually stupid about the realities they live under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,498,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
**I can answer these questions! Give me a few minutes. Question? What do you really know about Black Nationalism, its origins, actors and overall functions inside the Black community?
I wasn't thinking about formal Black Nationalism per sa. What I was trying to get at is the prevalent opinion, even among my Black co-workers, that once a neighborhood is majority Black, White people should stop moving there - that White influence in these neighborhoods is offensive to the majority population.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:59 PM

449 posts, read 491,971 times
Quote:
*What do you mean by "doomed demographic?"
Most city resident's are not productive people, much of the demographic does not pay taxes. When a city has a large portion of its population that is not paying taxes, not being productive and contributing you have a doomed demographic. On top of that very high crime rate and large criminal population, plus a large influx of illegal aliens. A badly educated population as well. I could just go on...

Old 07-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Most city resident's are not productive people, much of the demographic does not pay taxes. When a city has a large portion of its population that is not paying taxes, not being productive and contributing you have a doomed demographic. On top of that very high crime rate and large criminal population, plus a large influx of illegal aliens. A badly educated population as well. I could just go on...
Interesting. The percentage of Baltimore's working age population that is employed is actually about 4% above the national average. It is true that those employees are not making as much money as people living in the suburbs. I guess you could define earning less as being less productive but I'm not sure wages and productivity always correspond to each other.

I can see why you would like to demean people for earning less for their work. America is a country for winners and people that work hard for low wages are losers and don't have any value for our society. I guess losers are a doomed demographic.

Also, the percentage of Baltimore adults that has graduated from college is just 0.1% below the national average. The high school graduation rate, however, is several percent below the national average. Low educational attainment, by itself, isn't sufficient to explain the relatively low wages earned by Baltimore employees. In fact, city residents at all education levels earned much less that the state average for all education levels.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
America is a country for winners and people that work hard for low wages are losers and don't have any value for our society
*Do you honestly believe in this statement that people that work hard for low wages are, essentially, losers who don't have any value for our society?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Interesting. The percentage of Baltimore's working age population that is employed is actually about 4% above the national average. It is true that those employees are not making as much money as people living in the suburbs. I guess you could define earning less as being less productive but I'm not sure wages and productivity always correspond to each other.

I can see why you would like to demean people for earning less for their work. America is a country for winners and people that work hard for low wages are losers and don't have any value for our society. I guess losers are a doomed demographic.

Also, the percentage of Baltimore adults that has graduated from college is just 0.1% below the national average. The high school graduation rate, however, is several percent below the national average. Low educational attainment, by itself, isn't sufficient to explain the relatively low wages earned by Baltimore employees. In fact, city residents at all education levels earned much less that the state average for all education levels.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:02 AM

How can you actually quantify this statement? Have you actually spoken to most of the city's residents or you just using census statistics to help concluded your statement below?

Quote:

Old 07-10-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
*Do you honestly believe in this statement that people that work hard for low wages are, essentially, losers who don't have any value for our society?!!
No. I was trying to equate people who are struggling to get-by to the doomed demographic thing. I have to admit that it wasn't easy. Perhaps MDude25 can clarify.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 PM

449 posts, read 491,971 times
Quote:

Quote:
Baltimore's working age population that is employed is actually about 4% above the national average.
Why would you compare a large city's working age employment rate to the rest of the country? You should be comparing it to other similar sized cities.

Besides, the definition of employment is a very bad one. Baltimore is a majority welfare city. Nobody is demeaning people who make little money, that's just your assumption.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,055,464 times
Quote:

Quote:
Why would you compare a large city's working age employment rate to the rest of the country? You should be comparing it to other similar sized cities.

Besides, the definition of employment is a very bad one. Baltimore is a majority welfare city. Nobody is demeaning people who make little money, that's just your assumption.

Some articles with stats for you to chew on. In the "11 poorest cities" article, Baltimore looks very similar to Philly and Memphis.

Americas 11 poorest cities - CBS News

According to this article in the NYT, Baltimore is faring quite well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/up...live.html?_r=0

Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 AM

219 posts, read 403,671 times
vczfxf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore