U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 AM

5,185 posts, read 4,334,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
You should speak for yourself. I have two Fed friends w/one working as a scientist at NIH and the other working as an engineer at the NRC. Sure, testing vaccines and overseeing 800 billion kilowatts of energy creation doesn't "produce" something tangible like plastic Chinese crap, but he and she certainly contribute to the creation of wealth in this country. Hating on the entire federal government is soooooooo 2011.

I'm not a libertarian who believes in NO Fed. govt., but in 30 years saw waste that no business -- or household -- could survive. And then there are the regulations -- oh Lord the regulations -- that stifle individuals and businesses and accordingly the economy. For 23 of those 30 years I wrote and oversaw the regulations process attempting to keep them streamlined but every Dept. head insisted on adding his/her unnecessary two-cents worth until they resulted in unmanageable bloat.

Employee behavior is another disgrace. It's virtually impossible to discharge someone for poor job performance. As long as a person is not insubordinate or dishonest, managers will lateral them to a lower-level position at the same pay, or simply let them stay where they are but give them no work assignments. The dead wood employee simply sits there twiddling his/her thumbs until (s)he chooses to retire. To fire the dead wood requires a loooonnnnngggg documentation process and even when this occurs, there are appeals rights after appeals rights, along free representation by the Union -- even for non-Union members -- and other groups.

It's easier just to keep the dead wood and let the taxpayer, including you, my friend, eat the cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 01:35 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,130,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
No, I work for the Federal government now in 2016 and can assure you very little actually gets produced with the incompetence, waste and bureaucracy.
Sounds like you need to fire yourself! But, sure, there's waste/incompetence (and uh, definitionally, bureaucracy) as I know firsthand as a former DoJ employee. Then again, my current private sector job has far more waste, which I can attest to by being on CD throughout the day.... Anyways, the point is oversimplifications are silly.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 AM

1,604 posts, read 2,338,966 times
More Raven/O's fans to be found in the DC Suburbs (Frederick, MOCO, PG, Calvert) than vise versa.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM

847 posts, read 948,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Ben's is not that great, lol. DC is chicken and mambo sauce and crabs from the wharf. But that's a long gone tradition. But we still have the chicken and mambo sauce.
Ben is famous for having many US presidents eat there. Same with a famous Chinese restaurant in chinatown. So while it may not be great it has that affect.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM

159 posts, read 218,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
More Raven/O's fans to be found in the DC Suburbs (Frederick, MOCO, PG, Calvert) than vise versa.
If true that surprises me considering the amount of former Colts fans that became Redskins fans when they left. I will say that I know a lot of Redskins/O's fans that life in Anne Arundel county.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:45 PM

5,323 posts, read 9,281,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'm not a libertarian who believes in NO Fed. govt., but in 30 years saw waste that no business -- or household -- could survive. And then there are the regulations -- oh Lord the regulations -- that stifle individuals and businesses and accordingly the economy. For 23 of those 30 years I wrote and oversaw the regulations process attempting to keep them streamlined but every Dept. head insisted on adding his/her unnecessary two-cents worth until they resulted in unmanageable bloat.

Employee behavior is another disgrace. It's virtually impossible to discharge someone for poor job performance. As long as a person is not insubordinate or dishonest, managers will lateral them to a lower-level position at the same pay, or simply let them stay where they are but give them no work assignments. The dead wood employee simply sits there twiddling his/her thumbs until (s)he chooses to retire. To fire the dead wood requires a loooonnnnngggg documentation process and even when this occurs, there are appeals rights after appeals rights, along free representation by the Union -- even for non-Union members -- and other groups.

It's easier just to keep the dead wood and let the taxpayer, including you, my friend, eat the cost.
So you are making a generalization about all 400,000 federal employees? Hmmmmmm.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:50 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,275,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I don't know about that, there might be equal Cowboy fans in PG and MoCo than Ravens. I don't see many Ravens fans in PG, more Ravens in Frederick, even Calvert is a stretch, probably more Redskins.

Baseball is different, maybe more O's fans since the Nationals are newer on the scene, but still a bigger presence of Nats fans in DMV, more O's in MD, PA and maybe WV. Anne Arundel county divides Ravens/Skins and Nats/O's.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:05 PM

5,185 posts, read 4,334,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
So you are making a generalization about all 400,000 federal employees? Hmmmmmm.

I'm offering opinions based on 30 years experience at an agency that employ(ed)(s) many thousands of employees. Hmmmmmmm.

Are you saying that the other agencies don't have the problems I outlined? Hmmmmmmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: