Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,455 times

Advertisements

Back in July, my husband and I separated and me and the kids moved to an apartment around the corner. My husband told me that we had to move because I made more money than he made. I'm still waiting for the house to be sold, but as of this moment, he still lives there with no intentions on leaving.

On the day I signed my lease and picked up the keys for my apartment, I was required to also have active BGE service in my name. I contacted BGE on the day before and started a new account. While on the phone, I also asked how I should go about having my name removed from the account for the house since I would no longer be staying there. I was advised by the BGE rep that once my name was removed, the person remaining would have to contact BGE for a new account number or the service would be turned off. I advised that I would call back to have my name removed acting talking to my husband and letting him know what needed to be done. My last day in my house was July 15th.

I Finally called BGE back on July 26th and asked for my name to be removed from the house acct. My husband waited until his lights were shut off and then called to blame me for his service interruption. His new account number was assigned on August 5th and a $400 security deposit fee was added to his account. When he initially logged into his new online account, he told me that he saw three accounts listed: Old house acct, new house acct., and the bill for his music studio.

When I initially logged into my new BGE account, there was only one bill for the current month. I paid it. Then, when the time came to pay my second bill, I logged onto my account to pay and noticed that it that there was something weird going on with the balance. The bill was broken down as far as the $180 that was due, but no explanation was seen for the remaining amount which skyrocketed by balance to over $600. I was thoroughly surprised.

I called BGE for clarification. I was told that the remaining balance due on the old account number for the house was now appended onto my bill for my new place. They claimed that I was the only person on the bill. I told them that my husband and I were joint responsible parties on the utility bill and had been since we bought the house in April 2003. BGE was adamant that he never existed on the bill. I asked for copies of my last three bill to be sent to me at the house. The bills never came. I called again for the bills on September 23rd. Still never received them. I called again on October 3rd and asked for my account to be reviewed. The requested bill copies never came. I ended up having the bills faxed to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:20 PM

Default End of story

I advised BGE that I would be paying my portion, 1/2 of the $249.73 (balance remaining from house) and 1/4 of the $200.90 bill from July because I did not live in the house for more than half of the month. I told him that I will write a letter, certified and notarized, explaining my husband and my settlement agreement for the remaining bill. This letter will include the old and new account numbers for the house, my new account number for my apartment, social security numbers and signatures. Once they receive it, I told the operator that whatever balance was accepted by my husband would need to be moved to his account. The rep advised that the remaining balance will not be able to be removed from my account once I pay my portion and that it will have to be continued to be paid under my new account number. This is completely ludicrous!!

I am at the point of resorting to extensive legal action. Please help with this!!!!!

Old 10-21-2016, 03:38 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
I cannot tell from the facts above when BGE terminated your contract AND the utility service to your old home. The contract itself is between you and BGE and BGE is not a party to your settlement agreement.

BGE can collect from you the full amount owed prior to your termination of the services. As far as the settlement agreement - it is only enforceable with a court order and even then, it is only enforceable against your husband, not BGE.

If you do not have grounds to obtain an absolute divorce you can file for a limited divorce which can award you child custody, child support and temporary maintenance if needed.

I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 AM

Does it matter that both of us were on the old account? I was not the sole responsible party on the bill. When we bought he house, we got the account together. All of the bills have always come in both of our names until about a month after he got a new account number. That's when I noticed my name on the bill twice, listed one under the other like someone had just entered my name in the place where his used to be. Why would the bill all of a sudden be addressed to me twice? Then the subsequent bill only had one party listed, me.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,382 times
It was only in your name because he probably communicated with BGE before you did and he got his name removed. They have to come after someone for the money and tag - you're it!

Old 10-25-2016, 09:40 PM

I had my name removed first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore