Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,027 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I grew up in Carrollton Ridge (I never remember calling it that though) from 1988 to 1997 near Bentalou/Wilkens. I unfortunately don't remember a lot since I was only nine when I left. I'm trying to do research on the neighborhood, and I already have found a lot at the MDHS; however, most of the history I found there was very early history (19th century). I'm going to go back though and keep looking. I remember as a kid seeing the "nodders" and emaciated women walking around the circle at Mount and Wilkens waving at cars. I saw small vials with different colored tops and syringes. I obviously know what all this was now but not as a child. But the neighborhood wasn't all bad: I also remember older folks that took pride in their rowhomes (like my grandmother) and a strong sense of community. It, although being poor and drug-ridden, also was a diverse neighborhood (~60-75% white while I was there, 40-25% AA) where blacks and whites hung out together.

Did anyone else grow up in that area or know about that area? What did you call it? I always heard "down the hill" or people would say "I'm off Pulaski and Ramsay." These were kids obviously. I'm trying to remember what my grandma called it, but it definitely wasn't Carrollton Ridge.

I'm still trying to figure out what the factories on Eagle St. and McHenry street used to produce if anyone knows. Any anecdotes, history, changes in the neighborhood, or description of the current state of the neighborhood is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 07:43 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
Southwest Baltimore is another world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMM21223 View Post
Hello!

I grew up in Carrollton Ridge (I never remember calling it that though) from 1988 to 1997 near Bentalou/Wilkens. I unfortunately don't remember a lot since I was only nine when I left. I'm trying to do research on the neighborhood, and I already have found a lot at the MDHS; however, most of the history I found there was very early history (19th century). I'm going to go back though and keep looking. I remember as a kid seeing the "nodders" and emaciated women walking around the circle at Mount and Wilkens waving at cars. I saw small vials with different colored tops and syringes. I obviously know what all this was now but not as a child. But the neighborhood wasn't all bad: I also remember older folks that took pride in their rowhomes (like my grandmother) and a strong sense of community. It, although being poor and drug-ridden, also was a diverse neighborhood (~60-75% white while I was there, 40-25% AA) where blacks and whites hung out together.

Did anyone else grow up in that area or know about that area? What did you call it? I always heard "down the hill" or people would say "I'm off Pulaski and Ramsay." These were kids obviously. I'm trying to remember what my grandma called it, but it definitely wasn't Carrollton Ridge.

I'm still trying to figure out what the factories on Eagle St. and McHenry street used to produce if anyone knows. Any anecdotes, history, changes in the neighborhood, or description of the current state of the neighborhood is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Old 10-30-2016, 11:37 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
This is a link to a map of Baltimore neighborhoods. Click on the area you want to view and it will enlarge that area. The neighborhoods you are referring to are Carrolton Ridge and Mill Hill, with Mill Hill being the industrial/warehouse area. Mill Hill was also sometimes referred to as the Bentalou-Smallwood neighborhood or South Bentalou.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rhoods_map.png

In the 600 block of South Pulaski Street there was a men's clothier named T.I. Swartz & Co. They were quite a substantial business and employer in that area in the day. They used to manufacture men's suits, but I do not know what, if any other types of clothing they manufactured there. They were previously located in downtown Baltimore in the 1940s, where they also manufactured boy's clothing. I can't seem to find out exactly when they moved there, when they stopped manufacturing in house, or when they closed, but it seems they were manufacturing at that location from the 1950s until the 1970s. In addition to their manufacturing, they made custom clothes for men who came there to get measured, and they operated a warehouse store at the same location. Their clothing was high quality which attracted professional men from all over the area, including politicians from Washington, as the Sun article below references. One must remember that this was long before outlet stores, so a place that provided quality suits at discount prices became very popular. My father shopped there when I was a child as I can remember accompanying him there once. TI Swartz is referenced in the following article, but the Sun has the address wrong; it was South Pulaski and EAGLE Streets, not Eager Street, as they printed.

A city of men's clothing - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

Old 10-30-2016, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,027 times
Thanks for all the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: