Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 04:01 PM

777 posts, read 881,534 times

Advertisements

"Have you heard the one about the guy with an inferiority complex who went to see a psychiatrist for help? Turns out that the doc couldn't help him, as the guy really was inferior."

I would give you the sound of two hands clapping
but they miss. (my forehead had no such luck).

Last edited by feck; 01-04-2017 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
DC would be in the same situation as Baltimore if it was not the seat of the federal government (in fact DC used to have a higher murder rate than Baltimore as recently as the 90's). Honestly Pittsburgh would be a better role model for Baltimore since Pittsburgh is also a rust belt city that also experienced decline when industry moved out, however they have experienced gains recently thanks to colleges such as Carnegie-Mellon and the University of Pittsburgh which spurned a bunch of high tech startups and even attracted companies such as Google to locate offices there.
Get out much?

Many there is a lot of misinformation in this thread. A lot!

We will never get that city back. Never. Some strides have been made, but who the hell wants to live in the city. No thanks.

Nope not many educated people in the Baltimore METRO.

May be we should move to Pittsburgh, no wait, they have been moving here for 30 years.

Only federal employees work in DC. My parents were grade 15's, and they did not work in DC.

Maybe we should start with some educated posters in this thread.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Let's discuss this on a serious level. What are things Baltimore can LEARN from Washington D.C. that would her a better city? If you're answer is "They can't learn a damn thing from DC!" Please stay out off of this topic.

Thank You.
Get more white people to move in and to stealthily move more black people out.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:32 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's been happening. I think many Black people that could get out of there, especially seniors would jump at the chance. But white people are not going to move into the desolate west side, or the east side, and gentrify the area. Not enough to make it more livable, and safer.
I was in the City Christmas day just inside Hollins Ferry Road. What a dump! You aren't going to be able to do anything with those places.
The sad part is how grand many of those old row homes were a century ago.

One thing would help, and they are doing some of it is clean up Howard Street. The light rail runs right down it, and much of it looks like ****.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
Interesting...

Quote:

Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Baltimore has a lot of hillbilly/redneck whites types who do much damage (if not MORE) to Baltimore's imagery and culture than the large dysfunctional segment of the Black population in Baltimore. I know why Black Baltimore is crazy, but white Baltimore is even more crazier because they think and behave like they are superior to Blacks in Baltimore; they quietly loathe Black Baltimore. I've been in the boardrooms, backrooms and backstreets with some of the most backward ass, in-bred, regressive whites Baltimore has to offer and you should hear them speak and try to rationalize their hatred. LoL!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Get the right kind of white folks in and move the wrong kind of Black folks out. I have problems with both camps! The old Baltimore, Black or White, with their outdated, archaic and visionless thought process on top of the ignorance and stupidity is a big problem for me and a lot of other people.

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Baltimore has a lot of hillbilly/redneck whites types who do much damage (if not MORE) to Baltimore's imagery and culture than the large dysfunctional segment of the Black population in Baltimore. I know why Black Baltimore is crazy, but white Baltimore is even more crazier because they think and behave like they are superior to Blacks in Baltimore; they quietly loathe Black Baltimore. I've been in the boardrooms, backrooms and backstreets with some of the most backward ass, in-bred, regressive whites Baltimore has to offer and you should hear them speak and try to rationalize their hatred. LoL!

In which neighborhoods do these hillbillies live? As I understand it, there were many hillbillies from the south and WVa working in the WWII defense industry, but that the bulk of them left and either 1) went back to the hills or 2) sprawled into Essex, Middlesex, Middle River, Dundalk, Aero Acres, and I guess Rosedale.

When I lived in pre-cesspool Baltimore, Armistead Gardens was overwhelmingly hillbilly but I can't think of any other big enclave within city limits. It's my understanding that e.g., Highlandtown, Canton, Monument St., Pigtown, Little Greece, Little Italy and Pompeii were at least as far back as the late 1800s populated by "ethnic" urban whites, not hillbillies. Areas like Belair-Edison, Belair-Parkside, and Hamilton were the "suburbs' which the urban ethnic whites considered as "movin' on up." Rich folks lived in Guilford, Mt. Washington and Roland Park.

Not sure whether there was a large hillbilly component in Waverly or Hampden, but they were some rough, tough customers, hillbilly or not. Also on the west side just east of Irvington had its share of knuckleheads.

So I'm interested where in today's Baltimore have hillbillies you frequently mention migrated?

Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
In which neighborhoods do these hillbillies live? As I understand it, there were many hillbillies from the south and WVa working in the WWII defense industry, but that the bulk of them left and either 1) went back to the hills or 2) sprawled into Essex, Middlesex, Middle River, Dundalk, Aero Acres, and I guess Rosedale.

When I lived in pre-cesspool Baltimore, Armistead Gardens was overwhelmingly hillbilly but I can't think of any other big enclave within city limits. It's my understanding that e.g., Highlandtown, Canton, Monument St., Pigtown, Little Greece, Little Italy and Pompeii were at least as far back as the late 1800s populated by "ethnic" urban whites, not hillbillies. Areas like Belair-Edison, Belair-Parkside, and Hamilton were the "suburbs' which the urban ethnic whites considered as "movin' on up." Rich folks lived in Guilford, Mt. Washington and Roland Park.

Not sure whether there was a large hillbilly component in Waverly or Hampden, but they were some rough, tough customers, hillbilly or not. Also on the west side just east of Irvington had its share of knuckleheads.

So I'm interested where in today's Baltimore have hillbillies you frequently mention migrated?
The truth is that the educational attainment of Baltimore's White population is well above that of every suburban county except Howard's. I often hear from Black Baltimorians that white city residents are way dumber and far more racist than suburban Whites but I am skeptical. It is funny that when I worked in Towson years ago my boss (White) would stop me in the hallway and blast me for living in the city - sort of good-as-Black in his opinion... better in fact, because I couldn't sue him. Then, when I got home from work, I became an uber-racist to Black Baltimorians. I always thought that those two points of view didn't even come close to lining up.

At least White suburbanites and Black city residents agreed that I was the bad guy. How's that for racial harmony?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
DC is more sophisticated than Bal'more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore