Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

October 5 (Month 10), I walked in the office to pay my rent. Office closes a 6, being as though it was my first time paying in person, I figured I could my rent before the office closes and I'll be fine. Got to the door and the notice said, "It is now after 5 o'clock. Rent is considered late."

Ok, understood. They said they couldn't take my rent unless I had the late fee as well. (An extra $60) Seeing as though I had been in the unit since Feb. I have paid rent late twice (In July, I told them ahead of time, paid the late fee, and everything was fine) & in September....I paid online on the 4th (it always took about 3 days for the money to leave my account), I received a confirmation & confirmation number (like always) that it was received...a few of days later, I noticed the money was still in my account....called my bank, they didn't see that they tried to take the money out, called the rental office, they said they wouldn't be able to find out the issue until close to the end of the month (by this time it was the 12th or 13th or something)....long story short, I was short about $7, so they couldn't take the money from the account)....after that ONE time of not having all of the rent money available, I lost the option to pay online. I contacted the property company to try and reconsider, listing the fact that I've had a rodent issue since I've got there, and other issues I've had with the property, to no avail.

This brings me to October. I went to court date listed because at this point, they wouldn't accept my rent, even though I got to the rental office at 5:30 instead of 5 (With the money order bought on the 5th as well). ( I work exactly an hour away from home) I still got to the office on the 5th, so I wanted to the property representative about waiving the late fee and explain that there was a misunderstanding. She then told me that the office said I walked into the office on the 6TH, which is why they considered it late. Which was wrong! I emailed the property asking them to look on the camera that they have in front of the office so they can see that I walked into the office on the 5th NOT THE 6th. I got no response.

Fast forward to November rent, I paid an extra $40 to go toward the late fee. By this time I had about $85-90 in court fees and a late fee from the original late fee from October. They filed 2 more court orders in November. By Nov 30, I had $136 in court fee and late fees. My lease is up Jan 31 (thank you lord). At this point, I need to figure out if they are allowed to charge me a late fee even though I walked into the office on the 5th....if I had dropped the money order in the box, would it be the same outcome? And because they said they need to receive the rent by 5:00 on the 5th, are they allowed to say that I walked into the office on the 6th? Will me requesting them to look at their camera on Oct 5 to prove I walked into the office that day and not the 6th help my case?

I just don't feel as if having over $100 in court fees, when I paid half of the "late fee" already (with them filing every two weeks) Is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 12:17 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Pay on time, problem solved!

Old 12-08-2016, 12:23 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneola View Post
I have paid rent late twice (In July, I told them ahead of time, paid the late fee, ....I paid online on the 4th...I was short about $7)
I got to the rental office at 5:30 instead of 5
I just don't feel as if having over $100 in court fees, when I paid half of the "late fee" already (with them filing every two weeks) Is right.
Perhaps in the future you should pay your rent on time. Otherwise, it will cost you in late fees and court costs.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:28 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
This was your 3rd time being late. You have established a history of not paying on time. That is why they're not working with you. They would rather have someone who pays on time. They still have to pay their bills on time and they count on rent payments being made on time to cover those.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:35 PM

I understand that....I guess I'm looking for the customer service within the property. They had no issues from me from Jan to Jun... July was beyond my control. But September was a misunderstanding on their part, seeing as though they used different systems for processing their rent and send out confirmations before they actually know what's going on....

In regards to October, the office closes at 6 everyday, that's why I got there at 5:30. I did not know that they needed payment at 5....but why did they lie and say that I walked in on the 6th...that's what I'm not understanding ...

I still have rodent issues, they've had water heater issues, lights being out in the parking lot, so I think I'm looking for customer service on their part...they're expecting me to pay over $100 in court fees when I only really owe $20 in the late fee at this point....seems a little crooked to me that's all..

Last edited by Juneola; 12-08-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 12:36 PM

I'm sure all of this is spelled out in your lease.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:38 PM

So no one can see my point of view?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
So no one can see my point of view?
You signed a lease stating you would pay x dollars by 5pm on the 5th of each month or incur late fees and fines. It doesn't matter what happened you didn't uphold your end of the lease 3 times. You're lucky you're not being evicted. Have you asked if they will renew your lease? You only have 2 months left. This could make it hard for you to find a new place.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
July was beyond my control. But September was a misunderstanding on their part
the office closes at 6 everyday, that's why I got there at 5:30.
None of this is anyone's fault but your own.

Rent is due on the 1st; it's late after 5pm on the 5th (because that's when the bank closes). If you choose to wait til the last day to pay your rent, well, this is what happens.

Pay your rent by mailing a check Certified on the 1st.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You signed a lease stating you would pay x dollars by 5pm on the 5th of each month or incur late fees and fines. It doesn't matter what happened you didn't uphold your end of the lease 3 times. You're lucky you're not being evicted. Have you asked if they will renew your lease? You only have 2 months left. This could make it hard for you to find a new place.

No, I already told them I don't want to renew, they send the notice out a few days ago....I've been approved somewhere else too. I've been going through hell before September had even happened. I'm happy to go. Sub par, overpriced units and terrible leasing office in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore