Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:30 AM

439 posts, read 425,639 times

Advertisements

There are some nice areas in Catonsville within your budget. I agree with PP to look at the western portion of Catonsville near Ellicott City (away from 695). The area near Frederick Rd and Edmondson Ave or S Rolling Rd will offer a 10 minute ride to Ellicott City and about 20 to 25 minutes to JHH. You will also be very close to BWI. I think living here has spoiled us when we see areas with long drives to hospitals, shopping and airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM

68 posts, read 86,681 times
Thanks, yes so far I think we will be looking at the west Catonsville, Skysville and Mt Airy.

How is the crime in Catonsville?

So what is every ones thoughts on Pikesville? Not a good area or just to far a commute for hubby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
I think living here has spoiled us when we see areas with long drives to hospitals, shopping and airports.
That was our final reasoning. We live in a very secluded part of western WA. It takes close to 3 hrs one way to take my son to the pediactric hospital. The older he gets the more often he will need to go. It also takes me 45 min to get to any decent shopping. We have been miserable the time we have been here, its just too far to everything.

We start our Journey on Wednesday!!!

Old 01-06-2017, 12:55 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Pikesville is a pretty nice area. It feels like a real town (as does Catonsville) and not just cookie-cutter suburbia. One big advantage is that you'd be able to take the Metro Subway to Johns Hopkins Hospital. However, the commute to Columbia would be longer than it would be from Catonsville.

I lived there for 6 years, and the only crime issue I had was having my hubcaps stolen, once. However, some of the immediately adjacent areas (such as Randallstown, Owings Mills, and Baltimore) have more issues concerning crime. Some people might want to have a larger buffer between themselves and areas of higher crime.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:27 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post
How is the crime in Catonsville?
It's better west of downtown and south of Rt 40, but not nonexistent.

Quote:
So what is every ones thoughts on Pikesville? Not a good area or just to far a commute for hubby?
Honestly, the demographics for Pikesville may not match what you said you were looking for.

Quote:
We start our journey on Wednesday!!!
Good luck!

Old 01-06-2017, 03:56 PM

439 posts, read 425,639 times
I sent you a direct message😊

Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM

122 posts, read 169,597 times
The commute to Columbia from Pikesville in rush hour is worse than commuting from Mt Airy or Sykesville. Pikesville was a predominately Jewish neighborhood with the walk ability needed for Orthodox Jews. Like some above said - the surrounding areas have more crime than the more rural areas you are considering.

Enjoy your cross country trip- safe travels!

Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 PM

Ok so I checked Columbia today and I guess I had added something to my search critera by accident before. There are more than I realized.

No one ever explained about the sqft thing. So are basements included in listed sqft? I have never lived in a basement able area, so here ANY livable sqft must be listed. So basically everything except the garage is included.

How is Columbia? It looks pretty suburbia from what I have seen. I have read there is a city HOA fee? How much is it? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:49 AM

122 posts, read 169,597 times
Check an online real state listing with the MD property assessment web site . The above ground live able sq ft will be shown as well as basement ( finished or unfinished) space. However the number of beds/ baths may be wrong there - I just checked my and neighbors home.

Parts of Columbia are great - others not so much. It depends on which village the house is in and the schools in that village. Yes, they have additional fees in addition to the county taxes, I think a percentage of the property is how the amount is calculated, I maybe wrong about. It covers, or at least it used to, big discounts for use of Columbia pools and the facilities owned by the Columbia Association. The HOA regs in Columbia are probably no stricter than big new developments, but they can be a deal breaker for many - they were for us. You have to get approval to do anything outside your home before you do it - such as paint color, where to place a swing set, type of fence.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post
So are basements included in listed sqft?
According to the various authorities HUD FHA etc) ...
space below grade of ANY sort of kind and regardless of any remodeling or improvement
done to make it habitable should NOT BE INCLUDED in the Square foot.

Some areas of the country like to bend these rules.
Maryland and the north in general do not.

Quote:
No one ever explained about the sqft thing.
It should not have to be explained.

Quote:
so here ANY livable sqft must be listed.
So basically everything except the garage is included.
I doubt the law there actually says that.

The latitude to describe (habitable) below grade space has been abused. A lot.

Quote:
What is Gross Living Area?
Quote:
Fannie Mae, HUD/FHA, ERC and ANSI all state that dimensions are based on an exterior measurement of each floor of the home.
To varying degrees, the different guidelines describe the modification of areas to remove unfinished or unheated sections of the interior.

Fannie Mae, HUD/FHA and ERC guidelines are also similar in not counting basements, regardless of finish, in Gross Living Area.
ANSI, however, only notes a distinction between above-grade and below-grade areas.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
According to the various authorities HUD FHA etc) ...
space below grade of ANY sort of kind and regardless of any remodeling or improvement
done to make it habitable should NOT BE INCLUDED in the Square foot.

Some areas of the country like to bend these rules.
Maryland and the north in general do not.

It should not have to be explained.

I doubt the law there actually says that.

The latitude to describe (habitable) below grade space has been abused. A lot.

[b][font=Times New Roman]
Thank you for clarifying. I am sorry, I have never lived in a area that allowed for basements. We are from and have always lived in coastal areas. When we sold our home here, the agent explained the law to us that way, that is why I said that, but no I am not an expert by any means. She just said if it is livable it counts, but as I stated basements are not an option here on the island I live.
As far as asking for someone to explain, its bc it was mentioned breifly and I had asked for clarification, but never got a response. I was just hoping someone could help explain that as like I said, this will be the first area we have ever lived that having a basement (to this extent, not just a storage crawl space), will be an option.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore