Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:50 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,375,931 times

Advertisements

Still, I personally think Joey is a good QB, he just needs to grow a pair at times. He has an outstanding arm when used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I think it is definitely time to start thinking about the next QB, and should be considering that in the draft this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,937,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think it was the either the PFF or Football Outsider that had us as either the 31st or 32nd most efficient offense for most of the year. We have broken through into the low 20s by the end of the year. Any way you slice it, the offense really struggled this year.
I like this # called points, because ultimately that's what matters. 21st was their ranking.
And our wonderful Defense was ranked 9th. How many times were they awful in games against Oakland, Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh in the 4th Quarter?
Funny thing is the Ravens Offense was ranked 21st in TD's, and the Defense was ranked 24th.

All you had to do is watch Atlanta last weekend and watch Ryan's Receivers ball for him. Who the hell on the Ravens can make those catches.

Both Ravens units need work.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 AM

6,932 posts, read 11,189,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I like this # called points, because ultimately that's what matters. 21st was their ranking.
And our wonderful Defense was ranked 9th. How many times were they awful in games against Oakland, Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh in the 4th Quarter?
Funny thing is the Ravens Offense was ranked 21st in TD's, and the Defense was ranked 24th.

All you had to do is watch Atlanta last weekend and watch Ryan's Receivers ball for him. Who the hell on the Ravens can make those catches.

Both Ravens units need work.
Agreed that points are what "matter" in determining the outcome of games, but offense is situational (think factors like field position, game score and situation, etc.) and that is what the advanced metrics try to capture. Considering the defense forced turnovers at a good clip, and Tucker had the best season for a kicker in history, our offensive unit itself was lower ranked than the team's raw point total would indicate.

But again, any way you cut it, the offense was a huge liability on an otherwise pretty solid team. And yes, as mentioned in my previous post, the lack of play makers on offense was the biggest cause. Defenses had little to fear from our skill players, and could attack downhill and play aggressive. When you pay a QB as much as we pay Flacco, you need your QB to make the guys around him better. He won't ever be Rodgers in that way, but Flacco fell short of what we need for him at the price point we are paying him.

The defense was probably never as good as they looked earlier in the year when we faced weaker teams. It shouldn't be a surprise they didn't look as solid against the 'Boys, Pats, and Steelers, at the end of the year. Those are some of the best offenses in the league, and they were all road games for us. You can't discount the injury to Jimmy Smith either. He doesn't' get much love around the league, but if you watch our games, we are much better when he is healthy and out on the field. We do need a pass rush though......big time. We were among the bottom of the league in this category too, and in today's NFL it is hard to stop offenses late if you can't bring the heat with a 4 man rush.

Last edited by westsideboy; 01-20-2017 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Ok, I wanted to go back and find the rankings I was remembering. Here is the ESPN link.....you probably have to scroll 17 days down on the headline list to find the chart though

Baltimore Ravens Football - Ravens News, Scores, Stats, Rumors & More - ESPN

Final ESPN FPI rankings

Overall: 20th
Offensive Efficiency: 26th
Defense Efficiency: 8th
Special Teams Efficiency: 3rd

Old 01-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, I wanted to go back and find the rankings I was remembering. Here is the ESPN link.....you probably have to scroll 17 days down on the headline list to find the chart though

Baltimore Ravens Football - Ravens News, Scores, Stats, Rumors & More - ESPN

Final ESPN FPI rankings

Overall: 20th
Offensive Efficiency: 26th
Defense Efficiency: 8th
Special Teams Efficiency: 3rd
Go to pro football reference. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/rav/2016.htm Stop wasting your time with ESPN.

That 24th in TD's blows.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Go to pro football reference. 2016 Baltimore Ravens Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com Stop wasting your time with ESPN.

That 24th in TD's blows.
When you are 8-8, you can find plenty of team stats that "blow." I go to lots of different sites. PFF, FO, ESPN, and yes, Pro Football Reference too. They all have their pluses and minuses. I like ESPN's FPI rankings and find them to be pretty accurate measuring sticks.......I guess you don't.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,214,194 times
The one thing that burned me up more than anything else was the number of stupid, selfish, personal fouls that prolonged opponents' drives that would have been stopped otherwise, or squelched long gains by the Ravens. I seem to remember Jernigan being the guilty party on more than one occasion.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,375,931 times
Hahahahahahahaahahahahahaahaha!

I just heard that MTA is planning to break out with the Joey "Fumbles" Flacco buses. On 5 buses, Joe's face will be plastered and circulated around the city.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
When you are 8-8, you can find plenty of team stats that "blow." I go to lots of different sites. PFF, FO, ESPN, and yes, Pro Football Reference too. They all have their pluses and minuses. I like ESPN's FPI rankings and find them to be pretty accurate measuring sticks.......I guess you don't.
They looked at one stat that's identical to one stat on Pro Football Reference on that 26th ranking.
I can't stand those knob slobbers on ESPN.
Again that D barfed up 260 yards, and 21 points in the 4th Quarter of that last Pitt game. They have been blowing 4th Quarter leads for how long?
Again, 24th in TD's allowed is awful! Funny, Atlanta is 28th. Because Atlanta focused on it's Offense!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
They looked at one stat that's identical to one stat on Pro Football Reference on that 26th ranking.
I can't stand those knob slobbers on ESPN.
Again that D barfed up 260 yards, and 21 points in the 4th Quarter of that last Pitt game. They have been blowing 4th Quarter leads for how long?
Again, 24th in TD's allowed is awful! Funny, Atlanta is 28th. Because Atlanta focused on it's Offense!
Well, pass rusher and corner back are both high on our radar in the off season for the reasons you list above. We give up a lot of TD's through the air, and you really need 3, probably 4, solid cover guys back there in today's league plus a pass rush or else the better QBs will find the weak link, and pick you apart.

It isn't like it was back in the 1990s/00s, when a 2 score 2nd half lead meant the game was all but over. Last minute comebacks are the norm these days. How many did Matt Stafford have this year...like 8 or something? I am more upset that during our 4 game losing streak, we had the ball late with a chance to win, and couldn't get the job done. Heck, I think we needed 10-15 yards at the end of the Oakland game to get in Tucker's range and failed.

Again, I see our defense as being good (not great) and our offense as being close to the bottom of the barrel.

Not sure why you are so anti-ESPN................but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore