Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM

24 posts, read 130,366 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried using the light rail from Severna Park into the city and how reaonable of an option is at as a daily commute ? I saw that you could park at Patapsco Park and Ride and take the light rail into the city where this is a stop (which one ? Lexington Market or something like that ?) where you then have to change to the Metro to go over to Johns Hopkins Hospital (which would be my husband's daily destination). This looked, on paper, like a good option, because the light rail ride (once the train actually comes) is 13 minutes and the metro ride (once the metro actually arrives is 6 minutes). We figured that even with wait times, it would be a total of maybe 40 minutes. And we heard that driving into the hospital from Severna Park was 40 minutes anyway. But then someone told us that the light rail in from Severna Park was a terrible option, and now I am incredibly disappointed because it may have been the only thing that was going to convince my husband that Severna Park was a viable option for us (he doesn't want to be driving his car for 40+ minutes of commute each way each day). Does anyone have experience with this commute ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM

66 posts, read 247,073 times
There isn't really a light rail from severna is there? just the airport or glen burnie. Either way I guarantee it will take you longer than 40 minutes to get there. I live in glen burnie and could probably get there in an hour driving straight there. It takes me a little over an hour to get to work by drive/park/train and my work is a 5 minute walk from a light rail stop downtown.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 AM

315 posts, read 1,299,971 times
The light rail from Severna Park IS a terrible option, as you state. Because there is NO light rail from Severna Park. You can pick up a MTA bus at the Park and Ride on Ritchie Hwy and take it to a light rail station, but I'm not sure why you would do that. That process will take you more than 40 min.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,530 times
Remember to consider the parking fee at JHH. When I worked there a couple years ago I think it was $125 a month.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:45 PM

24 posts, read 130,366 times
Okay, I'm sure I'm confused. Is Patapsco Park the correct light rail station to be considering ? Is that in Glen Burnie (rather than Severna Park)? My husband would rather spend an hour on public transportation than 45-1 hour driving. And yes, parking at the hospital is over $100 a month, so the cost of the public transportation is worth it (and he'd just rather be able to get something done on the train instead of having to drive). Where is the closest light rail station in this area ? Is it Patapsco, and if so, is that in Glen Burnie, and if so, would the overall commute from Severna Park to the Lexington Market metro station (including drive to Patapsco and riding the light rail to Lexington Market) take about 50 minutes ??? Thanks !

Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
If he is traveling during the day, the waits aren't long at all. I have never waited longer than 5 to 10 minutes for either of the transit lines during working hours.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
You'd want the Cromwell Station in Glen Burnie. It's near the intersection of 8th Avenue and Rt. 648. It's the southern end of the line for the light rail. Driving time from Severna Park to the Cromwell Station would be about 20 minutes, and then it would be approximately 30 minutes to ride from Cromwell to Lexington Market. So yes, 50 minutes is an accurate estimate.

Have you looked into Linthicum? It's also in Anne Arundel County and there is a light rail stop there. From there it would be about a 20 minute ride to Lexington Market.

Last edited by sobo16; 03-06-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Added recommendation

Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM

66 posts, read 247,073 times
also the stop in linthicum is better because you get twice as many northbound and southbound trains going through (cromwell and BWI)

Old 03-07-2008, 05:23 AM

315 posts, read 1,299,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama View Post
Okay, I'm sure I'm confused. Is Patapsco Park the correct light rail station to be considering ? Is that in Glen Burnie (rather than Severna Park)? My husband would rather spend an hour on public transportation than 45-1 hour driving. And yes, parking at the hospital is over $100 a month, so the cost of the public transportation is worth it (and he'd just rather be able to get something done on the train instead of having to drive). Where is the closest light rail station in this area ? Is it Patapsco, and if so, is that in Glen Burnie, and if so, would the overall commute from Severna Park to the Lexington Market metro station (including drive to Patapsco and riding the light rail to Lexington Market) take about 50 minutes ??? Thanks !
There is no light rail stop in Patpsco Park. I'm sure you mean the Patapsco light rail station. There is a Park and Ride lot there. It is not in Glen Burnie, but closer to Glen Burnie than Severna Park. If you're looking for a light rail station near Glen Burnie, then Cromwell is probably best. Better yet, go to the MTA website and figure it out. Maryland Transit Administration (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/schedule/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore