Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,685,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
The issues are personal and cultural, not institutional. Inner-city Baltimore culture, values, and mores are largely dysfunctional and self-defeating. Such give rise to poverty, willful ignorance, and crime. Apologists for this behavior only make things worse. And be careful not to hurt yourself with the forehead smacking.
Oh, yes, if only poor people had better "values" they wouldn't be so dang poor. "Willful ignorance" is most certainly part of the problem, but not in the way you suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,253 times
For years, it's been a Baltimore tradition for 13 year old girls to have babies and then go on the Baltimore welfare system. The fathers aren't held accountable, since many are teenagers themselves
and the grandmothers can only help so much. It's no secret that poverty and crime are increasing.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Oh, yes, if only poor people had better "values" they wouldn't be so dang poor.
I'm glad that we agree, Buffy. Here's just one way in which poverty and dysfunctional culture are linked among ghetto rats, as you probably know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
For years, it's been a Baltimore tradition for 13 year old girls to have babies and then go on the Baltimore welfare system. The fathers aren't held accountable, since many are teenagers themselves and the grandmothers can only help so much.
If you need help understanding this, Buffy, start by reading Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics. The situation is personal and cultural, not institutional.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
I had a friend that lived in Charles Village that described being awaken one dark morning to a sound of an argument followed by sounds of a struggle followed by a series of blood curling screams interspersed with the what sounded like the pounding of flesh outside his back door as whomever was being attacked or fighting banged on the door. He called the police who came quickly only to find some broken flower pots and a pint load of blood splattered on the stoop. Cops shrugged and left him to disinfect the steps..Never did find out what happened or if the blood donor was ok. Its unfortunate that these types of stories play out all across the City as a grim reminder that even if you not the direct victim of a crime.. it still can impact you in some form..

Old 05-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I'm glad that we agree, Buffy. Here's just one way in which poverty and dysfunctional culture are linked among ghetto rats, as you probably know:

If you need help understanding this, Buffy, start by reading Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics. The situation is personal and cultural, not institutional.
Lol, I love how you non-ironically point to a book on ethics to support your claim that rich people have better "values" than poor people and that you're culturally and morally superior to "ghetto rats." You just can't make this stuff up.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:13 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
Quote:
Lol, I love how you non-ironically point to a book on ethics to support your claim that rich people have better "values" than poor people and that you're culturally and morally superior to "ghetto rats." You just can't make this stuff up.

Same old BS excuse.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well, Buffy, I am curious. Do you not agree that a 13-year-old girl who has an illegitimate child -- or several -- is bringing on a life of poverty?

If you have any questions, I will try to help you. But you need to understand that your attempt to communicate by way of sarcasm doesn't advance your cause.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 05-05-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well, Buffy, I am curious. Do you not agree that a 13-year-old girl who has an illegitimate child -- or several -- is bringing on a life of poverty?

If you have any questions, I will try to help you. But you need to understand that your attempt to communicate by way of sarcasm doesn't advance your cause.
Baltimore's teen pregnancy rate is lower than the entire states of Texas, Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and West Virginia, yet I don't see you calling them "ghetto rats." I wonder why that is. Don't worry - that's rhetorical, Forbes. You've made perfectly clear what your problem with Baltimore, specifically, is. That dang "culture."

Old 05-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Baltimore's teen pregnancy rate is lower than the entire states of Texas, Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and West Virginia, yet I don't see you calling them "ghetto rats." I wonder why that is. Don't worry - that's rhetorical, Forbes. You've made perfectly clear what your problem with Baltimore, specifically, is. That dang "culture."
So, Buffy, I take it that we agree: a thirteen year who has an illegitimate child is in fact bringing on a life of poverty, and that matters such as pregnancy are individual rather than institutional. Good.

Regarding Arkansas, Texas, and so forth, I would be glad to call people "ghetto rats" anywhere they have an abundance of barely-teen pregnancies and illegitimate children, if it would make you feel better. It's all the same: dysfunctional, self-defeating culture; ghetto-rat values; and licentious behavior quite often lead to lives of poverty. One might, however, want to distinguish between the rate of teen pregnancy, say at 18 or 19, and barely-teen pregnancy, say at 13 as mentioned above. Think about it . . .

Old 05-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
So, Buffy, I take it that we agree: a thirteen year who has an illegitimate child is in fact bringing on a life of poverty, and that matters such as pregnancy are individual rather than institutional. Good.

Regarding Arkansas, Texas, and so forth, I would be glad to call people "ghetto rats" anywhere they have an abundance of barely-teen pregnancies and illegitimate children, if it would make you feel better. It's all the same: dysfunctional, self-defeating culture; ghetto-rat values; and licentious behavior quite often lead to lives of poverty. One might, however, want to distinguish between the rate of teen pregnancy, say at 18 or 19, and barely-teen pregnancy, say at 13 as mentioned above.
Hey, I'm fine with that. If you treat all poor people the same then go for it. That obviously makes you a terrible human and completely out of touch, but if you're consistent then I can shrug that off. Just so long as you're not one of those people who calls poor blacks "ghetto rats" and then feels bad for poor whites in Kentucky and West Virginia who face (or cause, according to you) the exact same issues of generational poverty, disinvestment/job loss, terrible schools/family planning education, drug addiction, crime, etc.

Last edited by bufflove; 05-05-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: