Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:09 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Hey, I'm fine with that. If you want to treat all poor/crime-ridden/drug-addicted/jobless people the same then go for it. That obviously makes you a terrible human and completely out of touch, but if you're consistent then I have no problem. Just so long as you're not one of those people who calls poor blacks "ghetto rats" and then feel bad for poor whites in Kentucky and West Virginia who face (or cause, according to you) the exact same issues.
Given what I know about you, I am not displeased that you think I am a terrible human.

Here are some basic rules for avoiding poverty:

(1) graduate from high school, and pay attention in class so that you actually learn something, at least literacy; if possible, learn some kind of trade

(2) marry a responsible, reasonable person, and stay together; respect fidelity

(3) don't have any children until you are married

(4) keep off drugs and out of the drug business

(5) take care of your body -- maintain at least a modicum of physical fitness and a normal weight

(6) spend your money on self-improvement rather than tattoos, gold chains, and donk wheels

(7) read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography.

Taken together, these measures mitigate against becoming ghetto-rat poor.

Good luck to you, my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Given what I know about you, I am not displeased that you think I am a terrible human.

Here are some basic rules for avoiding poverty:

(1) graduate from high school, and pay attention in class so that you actually learn something, at least literacy; if possible, learn some kind of trade

(2) marry a responsible, reasonable person, and stay together; respect fidelity

(3) don't have any children until you are married

(4) keep off drugs and out of the drug business

(5) take care of your body -- maintain at least a modicum of physical fitness and a normal weight

(6) spend your money on self-improvement rather than tattoos, gold chains, and donk wheels

(7) read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography.

Taken together, these measures mitigate against becoming ghetto-rat poor.

Good luck to you, my friend.
Sound like you should start a program. The Hamish institute.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
How many $$$$ trillions in reparations, AKA the War on Poverty, have been spent since the early 1960s?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
More murder and mayhem

5 killed, 1 wounded in separate shootings in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun

Quote:
Five people were killed and one person was injured in separate shootings Saturday and Sunday in Baltimore, city police said, bringing the homicide count for the year to 118.

About 1:40 p.m. Saturday, a man was found with a gunshot wound to the chest in the 2800 block of Prospect St. in the Mosher neighborhood of West Baltimore, police said. He died at a hospital.

At 2:30 p.m., an officer on patrol found another man who had been shot, this time in the 300 block of Whitridge Ave. in the Harwood neighborhood of North Baltimore, police said. The victim also died at the hospital. Police identified him Sunday as Channon Simpkins, 28, of the 6000 block of Marquette Road.

And just before 4 p.m., police were called to a home in the 1300 block of Stricker St. in Sandtown-Winchester in West Baltimore for a report of a shooting. They found a man there with a gunshot wound to the chest. He also died at a local hospital.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:00 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Well, Buffy, I am curious. Do you not agree that a 13-year-old girl who has an illegitimate child -- or several -- is bringing on a life of poverty?

If you have any questions, I will try to help you. But you need to understand that your attempt to communicate by way of sarcasm doesn't advance your cause.
I think most intelligent people can understand that this sort of behavior causes poverty, but what about events such as Boeing laying off whole swaths of people (good paying jobs) and these people have no good paying jobs to jump to after said event? Some of these people end up taking a loss on a home and the lay off timing may have been when they were taking a little risk to get ahead.

Some people get lucky such that when they are laid off they have 30-50k in the bank and have some options where as others may have just bought a house or had a kid and then boom mass lay off. These are respected members of the community in good jobs, not hood rats popping out kids and no good jobs like these are not easy to come by.

Our culture is making it unattractive to be a degreed professional due to the gross lack of jobs in said fields like engineering and science. What I have found is that either an area will have almost no engineering/science work OR the areas they do the pay will be radically disproportionate to the COL.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM

675 posts, read 723,469 times
One of the big problems that I foresee is how early violent offenders are being released from prison. On average a murderer spends 61 months actually incarcerated; Rapists 35 months. We have the government to blame for this. We need to build more prisons or reinstitute the death penalty. Most research does not bear out the notion that poverty is related to crime. Having worked in Baltimore City and doing evaluations for the courts which included recommendations for sentencing I was not aware of the fact that there is no connection between one's sentence and the actual time served. The two are not even closely related nor is there any relationship between one's behavior while in prison and one's behavior once on the street. We are all being scammed by the Criminal Justice System and our politicians.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 PM

675 posts, read 723,469 times
Reasons for crime : THE INABILITY TO HAVE FORETHOUGHT. AT ONE TIME IN THE COURSE OF OUR DEVELOPEMENT WE DONOT HAVE THE CAPACITY FOR FORETHOUGH. THIS COMES INTO EXISTENCE AROUND THE AGE OF 8-9 FOR GIRLS 12-16 FOR BOYS. FORETHOUGHT IS PART OF THE SELF WHICH INCLUDES OUR INTERNAL DIALOGUE. SOME PEOPLE NEVER DEVELOP THIS CAPACITY. SOMETIMES THE REASON IS NEUROLOGICALLY BASED OTHER TIMES IT IS PSYCHOLOGICAL. THE "SELF" NEEDS TO BE NURTURED INTO EXISTENCE. ON RARE OCCASSIONS TRAUMA AND THE NEED TO SURVIVE CAN KICK IT IN. ANOTHER CAUSE FOR CRIME IS THE INDIVIDUAL IS JUST NOT ADEQUATELY SOCIALIZED,A PRIMARY FUNCTION OF THE FAMILY. MANY HAVE SERIOUS PERSONALITY DISORDERS LIKE THE PSYCHOPATH OR THE SOCIOPAT(THERE ARE DIFFERENCES ).TYPICALLY THESE INDIVIDUALS ARE "ENTITILED" TO ACT THE WAY THEY DO,WHICH MEANS JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THEY WANT. MANY SUBSTANCE ABUSERS ARE ALSO ENTITILED ( THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO FEEL REALLY GOOD AT ANYBODY'S EXPENSE. ANOTHER CAUSE IS FEELINGS OF WORTHLESSNESS. THESE INDIVIDUALS ARE OFTEN ABUSED VERBALLY. NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON AND THERE ARE OTHERTHOUGH WE ALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE PROTECTED FROM THESE INDIVIDUALS.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
One of the big problems that I foresee is how early violent offenders are being released from prison. On average a murderer spends 61 months actually incarcerated; Rapists 35 months. We have the government to blame for this. We need to build more prisons or reinstitute the death penalty. Most research does not bear out the notion that poverty is related to crime. Having worked in Baltimore City and doing evaluations for the courts which included recommendations for sentencing I was not aware of the fact that there is no connection between one's sentence and the actual time served. The two are not even closely related nor is there any relationship between one's behavior while in prison and one's behavior once on the street. We are all being scammed by the Criminal Justice System and our politicians.
Ive made this statement many times over my first time reading the Baltimore Sun!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 AM

Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
Reasons for crime : THE INABILITY TO HAVE FORETHOUGHT. AT ONE TIME IN THE COURSE OF OUR DEVELOPEMENT WE DONOT HAVE THE CAPACITY FOR FORETHOUGH. THIS COMES INTO EXISTENCE AROUND THE AGE OF 8-9 FOR GIRLS 12-16 FOR BOYS. FORETHOUGHT IS PART OF THE SELF WHICH INCLUDES OUR INTERNAL DIALOGUE. SOME PEOPLE NEVER DEVELOP THIS CAPACITY. SOMETIMES THE REASON IS NEUROLOGICALLY BASED OTHER TIMES IT IS PSYCHOLOGICAL. THE "SELF" NEEDS TO BE NURTURED INTO EXISTENCE. ON RARE OCCASSIONS TRAUMA AND THE NEED TO SURVIVE CAN KICK IT IN. ANOTHER CAUSE FOR CRIME IS THE INDIVIDUAL IS JUST NOT ADEQUATELY SOCIALIZED,A PRIMARY FUNCTION OF THE FAMILY. MANY HAVE SERIOUS PERSONALITY DISORDERS LIKE THE PSYCHOPATH OR THE SOCIOPAT(THERE ARE DIFFERENCES ).TYPICALLY THESE INDIVIDUALS ARE "ENTITILED" TO ACT THE WAY THEY DO,WHICH MEANS JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THEY WANT. MANY SUBSTANCE ABUSERS ARE ALSO ENTITILED ( THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO FEEL REALLY GOOD AT ANYBODY'S EXPENSE. ANOTHER CAUSE IS FEELINGS OF WORTHLESSNESS. THESE INDIVIDUALS ARE OFTEN ABUSED VERBALLY. NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON AND THERE ARE OTHERTHOUGH WE ALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE PROTECTED FROM THESE INDIVIDUALS.
I feel you on this...alot of these problems are mental. I hate seeing a bunch of people not striving to be great or put their best foot forward. People act like this group of folks have all the power and treat them like a elephant in the room. In reality it brings everybody down and I dont even live there.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:14 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
More murder and mayhem

5 killed, 1 wounded in separate shootings in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun

Five people were killed and one person was injured in separate shootings Saturday and Sunday in Baltimore, city police said, bringing the homicide count for the year to 118.

About 1:40 p.m. Saturday, a man was found with a gunshot wound to the chest in the 2800 block of Prospect St. in the Mosher neighborhood of West Baltimore, police said. He died at a hospital.

At 2:30 p.m., an officer on patrol found another man who had been shot, this time in the 300 block of Whitridge Ave. in the Harwood neighborhood of North Baltimore, police said. The victim also died at the hospital. Police identified him Sunday as Channon Simpkins, 28, of the 6000 block of Marquette Road.

And just before 4 p.m., police were called to a home in the 1300 block of Stricker St. in Sandtown-Winchester in West Baltimore for a report of a shooting. They found a man there with a gunshot wound to the chest. He also died at a local hospital.
Did anyone else bother to look at this Prospect street? ... I wonder why anybody would even hang around there, according to streetview the place and everything around it has been abandoned for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: