Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:01 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Did anyone else bother to look at this Prospect street? ... I wonder why anybody would even hang around there, according to streetview the place and everything around it has been abandoned for years.
Right around the corner the street looks stable.. but the neighborhood as a whole likely will not appeal to a diverse group of buyers because of the prospect of living next to Prospect Street...I couldn't imagine allowing a child to play around the neighborhood with a "Prospect St" right around the corner.. too many opportunity for their demise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
You see, people are going to skip-jump rope around the main issue...

Solution:

The Nation of Islam, along with other strong, long-standing/non-criminal Black organizations and cooperative anti-gang factions (this, does not include the NAACP or 100 Professional Negro Men), should be commissioned to patrol and help control dysfunctional Black neighborhoods in Baltimore.
i'm all for the Nation going in. They have a lot of respect in these neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
As long they don't harass the young black youth,then fine with me..
I've never heard of the NOI doing this. they are firm, but respectful and in turn, they get a lot of respect from the communities. What a lot of people don't realize is that the NOI/FOI (Fruit of Islam) don't carry firearms.

In fact, a lot of the NOI/FOI were in the life at one point themselves and know the people in these neighborhoods. if anything, they want to get the youth out of this life. I think they are an excellent buffer between the police and the community.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I've never heard of the NOI doing this. they are firm, but respectful and in turn, they get a lot of respect from the communities. What a lot of people don't realize is that the NOI/FOI (Fruit of Islam) don't carry firearms.

In fact, a lot of the NOI/FOI were in the life at one point themselves and know the people in these neighborhoods. if anything, they want to get the youth out of this life. I think they are an excellent buffer between the police and the community.

I think they have done it in a few public housing projects in different places in the Country. Much like the Guardian Angels.. I don't know if they would do it FOREVER without some type of contract and payment. This could be a problem especially at taxpayer funded developments where people may be concerned about optics and separation of religious activities on govt property. Some may be fearful that they would/could try and covert people not to mention the liability if they "jack" someone up who them decides to file a lawsuit against them and the City...That said, I do think they can command the respect of some neighborhoods and could bring some stability where the police have been unsuccessful.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I've never heard of the NOI doing this. they are firm, but...
but policing, no matter by whom or by whatever methods are used, is NOT the answer.

Look at any serious crime story you like and then ask how the incident relates to illegal drugs.
Most link up immediately but rather few will go beyond two degree's of separation.

All of which makes these crimes less of the problem per se ...than the symptom of the problem.
Focus on the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Right around the corner the street looks stable.. but the neighborhood as a whole likely will not appeal...
My folks grew up within a mile of there but it was avery different time then.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:35 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

I remember DC during its worst days and it was the community that constantly pledged to stop the violence. There was always a neighborhood march or rally in conjunction with community organizers and the nation of islam. I dont really hear about this in Baltimore, the residence are scared to take control of their communities.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:45 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
I recommend reading a book called "Pill City". I am currently reading it now. Basically, two West Baltimore City High School honor students created a drug network from all the stolen pharmaceuticals during the Freddie Grey riots. They then have established a multimillion dollar drug operation that fooled city and federal law enforcement, and is the primary reason for the increase of crime in the city. Fascinating read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: