Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:19 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I was referring to the entire zip code.
That is fantastic. OP asked about schools, and the only school within 10 miles of Jville is the elem. school. The middle and high schools are much further away in within a much larger and quite different community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM

607 posts, read 554,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinbaltimore326 View Post
there appears to be very little diversity in the area (over 94% white according to student stats)...I have heard comments from some friends it is a very conservative area and not very culturally diverse.
What does "white" have to do with "culturally diverse"?

"White" people can bring their culture and their traditions, languages, religions, cuisines from many different parts of the world or parts of this country. Whites also subscribe to different politics, different music, different fields of education and employment. To suggest a heavily white area is not diverse is either overtly ignorant or explicitly racist.

It would seem your concern lies in lack of diversity of skin-color and nothing more. However, even among "whites" there is great variety in skin color and appearance.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
That is fantastic. OP asked about schools, and the only school within 10 miles of Jville is the elem. school. The middle and high schools are much further away in within a much larger and quite different community.
OK so you are really not familiar with Jarrettsville. Where did you grow up?

FYI - The middle and high school is 7.2 miles from the heart of Jarrettsville. There are two elementary schools in Jarrettsville.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 AM

789 posts, read 1,095,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
OK so you are really not familiar with Jarrettsville. Where did you grow up?

FYI - The middle and high school is 7.2 miles from the heart of Jarrettsville. There are two elementary schools in Jarrettsville.
I mean, I lived in the zip code for high school, and it was exactly 10 miles to NHHS. Fallston is probably closer, but they have changed the school district boundaries in jville so many times recently idk where it lies any more.

Crossing MD 24 west to east is a pretty dramatic shift, at least ten years ago. West of 24 was exurban, somewhat rural, more of the 'mainstream republican' tilt, somewhat religious, white-collar, and diverse, although not racially diverse. East of 24 was far more ag-based, more blue-collar, more religious, and generally poorer.

I distinctly remember there being two 'dismissals' for busses. The first dismissal (mine) was for the busses going west of 24. The other was for going east. There was a stark difference in the types of kids grouped in those dismissals. Since graduating, I've lost one friend from first dismissal. I've lost too many to count from second. It's anecdotal for sure, but I don't think I tried to claim what I've said was otherwise.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I mean, I lived in the zip code for high school, and it was exactly 10 miles to NHHS. Fallston is probably closer, but they have changed the school district boundaries in jville so many times recently idk where it lies any more.

Crossing MD 24 west to east is a pretty dramatic shift, at least ten years ago. West of 24 was exurban, somewhat rural, more of the 'mainstream republican' tilt, somewhat religious, white-collar, and diverse, although not racially diverse. East of 24 was far more ag-based, more blue-collar, more religious, and generally poorer.

I distinctly remember there being two 'dismissals' for busses. The first dismissal (mine) was for the busses going west of 24. The other was for going east. There was a stark difference in the types of kids grouped in those dismissals. Since graduating, I've lost one friend from first dismissal. I've lost too many to count from second. It's anecdotal for sure, but I don't think I tried to claim what I've said was otherwise.
I can promise you it is 7.2 miles from 7-Eleven to the middle school. It is much further to Fallston. Now where I grew up, it was closer to drive to Fallston, but I was thrilled I could go to NH. I liked the Ag based lifestyle.

I was same dismissal and I know of more that died from that end than the more rural end. Right now its an epidemic everywhere in the county. It is not a wealth issue.

What year did you graduate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore