Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:40 PM

605 posts, read 669,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
Oliver?
I guess they are referring to the Greektown/Highlandtown/Patterson Park neighborhoods since that area is undergoing a lot of gentrification as of late with a lot of white collar employees affiliated with John Hopkins moving there. I actually bought a row house there for $121,000 located just to the north of Baltimore Street about a year ago and on my street alone there are already a bunch or rehabs hitting the market as we speak and the value of my row home has already increased by a little over $7,000 just over the span of a year. That being said though the home I bought needed to have a lot of work done in regards to the upgrading the kitchen, replacing the existing hardwood floor, and the A/C condensor unit/furnace so for anything less than $100,000 it would probably need to be completely gutted/rehabbed, unless if course if it is in an undesirable neighborhood with high crime (like Oliver for example).

If the OP is seriously considering buying a home there he/she should look into a number of grants that are offered by the city of Baltimore through Live Baltimore since they offer a number of $5,000 grants to those who qualify (ie first time home buyers, employees affiliated with Under Armour/Hopkins, block grants, tax credits for rehabbing existing homes, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
My understanding is that a complete renovation of a standard two-story rowhome is ballpark $50,000 to $60,000. So considering folks who purchase a home for $100,000 - it's still less than buying a $200,000 home.
Wow, you made a factual statement.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM

134 posts, read 286,261 times
Quote:
Oliver?
I think Oliver is a place you could consider. From my understanding, Oliver has undergone a lot of changes as well. I am new to Baltimore and looking to purchase a home too. Apparently last year Oliver had 450 vacant homes, now there is less than 50. The changes occurring in Eager Park/Ashland/Station East area has spilled into the surrounding neighborhoods (Oliver, Preston st, etc). Biddle Street seems to have a lot of vacant homes. As someone else has stated, they would need be completed gutted and rehabbed though.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:16 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Quote:
Let's say you have $200K to blow and can afford to buy families houses (let's say 2-3 houses total) with that much money, where in Baltimore would you buy into? I've seen houses in McElderry Park and Patterson Park-Baltimore-Linwood areas for $65K to $80K rowhomes that's renovated and ready to move into. Are those areas any good?
If you can get a renovated rowhouse in Baltimore-Linwood for $80K, you should take it. I watch the listings and that would look like a real value. I think a judicious purchase in McElderry Park south of Jefferson Street might be a good idea. No matter what, don't assume that management and maintenance is going to be a snap.

Someone mentioned Oliver. That could work out if you are willing to do a rehab, buy the right property, and manage it right. Personally, I despise being a landlord. So much so that I sold off my one rental house at a loss... and I'm glad I did.

Finally, investing in already rehabbed houses as rentals doesn't grow the city at all. If you don't buy it, someone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: