Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 03:32 AM

240 posts, read 253,688 times

Advertisements

Urban explorers Dan Bell and Will Krupinsky ventured into the abandoned Goetze building three times last year for their Youtube channel. Out of curiosity, I've searched for the history of the building, but info online seems sparse. Does anyone know the history of the Goetze Meat Plant? Maybe someone here once worked there or knows someone who did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 03:58 AM

450 posts, read 798,481 times
I suspect they slaughtered livestock there and sold the meat.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM

75 posts, read 120,069 times
Eh may prove helpful

Old 12-26-2020, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
Urban explorers Dan Bell and Will Krupinsky ventured into the abandoned Goetze building three times last year for their Youtube channel. Out of curiosity, I've searched for the history of the building, but info online seems sparse. Does anyone know the history of the Goetze Meat Plant? Maybe someone here once worked there or knows someone who did?
Hello Proto Strata-
You are correct,trying to find an exact date of when this building was built is difficult,but we can assume it was most likely turn of the century according to some brief history I read on the meat company itself ( give or take a few yrs)
Now,I have access to some property records on line,and those often say what yr the property was built but in this case it does nt.
What I did find was that in the yr 2000- Solid Rock Pentacostal Church bough the property for 80K.Land size 27,704 ft.
I will go on one of my history pages and ask there,and if anyone can find a date,I ll come back and tell ya what they said.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:54 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJR4LOAakqo

Quote:
Goetze Meats was founded by Albert F. Goetze and was called the Albert F. Goetze Meat Packing Company. The plant, which at one time employed about 1000 persons, The plant, at Belair Road and Sinclair Lane, closed in the mid-1970s.

Albert’s father, Albert C. Goetze was also a butcher and owned his own shop, which was located at Chew (now Ashland Avenue) near Chester. Albert F. Goetze expanded the company to Cockeysville and remained president until his daughter succeeded him, Albert Frederick Goetze was the son of Albert G. Goetze (1863 to 1929) born in Anholt, Germany and Dora Goetze (1862 to 1958), born in Bremen, Germany. Albert F. Goetze was born August 31, 1891 in Baltimore, Maryland and married Nellie Pauline . The family lived at 1515 Lakeside Avenue. As a child, Alfred F. lived with his parents on Chester Street and later on Rutland Avenue. The company’s slogan was ‘Don’t Guess, Get Goetze’s’. Albert’s sons were also involved in the business. His son Alfred Jr.(1923 to 2007) became the firm’s president. In 1968, he became the President of the Eastern Meat Packers Association. He was born in Baltimore and educated at McDonogh School and later Cornell University with a degree in mechanical engineering. His son Robert Goetze (1925 to 2008) was a graduate of McDonogh School and attended the University of Pennsylvania, when his studies were interrupted by WWII, where Robert served as an ensign in the Navy in the South Pacific from 1944 to 1946. He earned a degree at the Wharton School of business and became general manager and vice president of sales at the plant. He later became president of Sinclair Auto & Truck Fleet Leasing Co., which initially used commercial vehicles from the meat-packing business. He sat on the boards of the American Meat Institute, Susquehanna University and was a founding member of the Maryland Presbyterian Church on Providence Road. He served on committees for the Salvation Army and the Baltimore Junior Chamber of Commerce). Later in life at some point it was used for a church and theres a ton of rotted burnt donations on both sides. Not to mention the homeless and there own things inside. A big fire in 2017 happened and what you see here is all that's left.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:38 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times
https://www.germanmarylanders.org/pr...s-meat-packers

Quote:
Goetze Meats
Albert Goetze, Sr. (8-31-1891 to 5-18-1973)Albert Goetze, Jr. (1923 to 9-2007)Robert Goetze (1925 to 2008)

Goetze Meats was founded by Albert F. Goetze and was called the Albert F. Goetze Meat Packing Company. The plant, which at one time employed about 1000 persons, was closed in the mid-1970s. According to the 1890 Baltimore Directory, Albert’s father, Albert C. Goetze was also a butcher and owned his own shop, which was located at Chew (now Ashland Avenue) near Chester. The 1910 census lists the family residence at 1729 Chester Street. Albert F. Goetze established the meat packing plant, which was located 8422 Bellona Lane in Baltimore.

Albert Frederick Goetze was the son of Albert G. Goetze (1863 to 1929) born in Anholt, Germany and Dora Goetze (1862 to 1958), born in Bremen, Germany (both according to the 1920 Federal Census). Albert F. Goetze was born August 31, 1891 in Baltimore, Maryland and married Nellie Pauline ( to 1986). The family lived at 1515 Lakeside Avenue. As a child, Alfred F. lived with his parents on Chester Street and later on Rutland Avenue.

The company’s slogan was ‘Don’t Guess, Get Goetze’s’.

Albert’s sons were also involved in the business. His son Alfred Jr.(1923 to 2007) became the firm’s president. In 1968, he became the President of the Eastern Meat Packers Association. He was born in Baltimore and educated at McDonogh School and later Cornell University with a degree in mechanical engineering. His full profile is in the ‘Military’ section of this site. His son Robert Goetze (1925 to 2008) was a graduate of McDonogh School and attended the University of Pennsylvania, when his studies were interrupted by WWII, where Robert served as an ensign in the Navy in the South Pacific from 1944 to 1946. He earned a degree at the Wharton School of business and became general manager and vice president of sales at the plant. He later became president of Sinclair Auto & Truck Fleet Leasing Co., which initially used commercial vehicles from the meat-packing business. He sat on the boards of the American Meat Institute, Susquehanna University and was a founding member of the Maryland Presbyterian Church on Providence Road. He served on committees for the Salvation Army and the Baltimore Junior Chamber of Commerce).

The company ceased operations in 1975.

The family is buried at Lorraine Park Cemetery.

Albert & Dora Goetze (parents of Albert Sr.) are buried at Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery.

Mr. David Brinegar sent me several photos of his father. His father Robert Brinegar, Jr., worked for the Goetze Meat Packing plant in Baltimore in the 50s. There are others in the photos and he has asked if anyone knows the people in the photos to make contact. Please send me an email at germanmarylanders@gmail.org if you are on know someone in the photos. Thanks David for sharing.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Interesting I have zero recollection of Goetze in Cockeysville. They were probably where Antique Row is now. The Buildings are old. Might be were the pool hall, and Pete's Cycle were next to the Village Bar. Next to Cockeysville Road. Shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: