Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 04:00 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,107,777 times

Advertisements

This is very bad for the city. Looks like they have already signed a three year lease. The arena is smaller, the field is smaller, and the ticket prices will be $7 more. Why couldn't this new pro business administration have kept them downtown?

Blast find new home at Towson University's SECU Arena - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Blast leaving Royal Farms Arena for SECU Arena - ABC2News.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 08:41 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
This is very bad for the city. Looks like they have already signed a three year lease. The arena is smaller, the field is smaller, and the ticket prices will be $7 more. Why couldn't this new pro business administration have kept them downtown?

Blast find new home at Towson University's SECU Arena - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Blast leaving Royal Farms Arena for SECU Arena - ABC2News.com

I also would venture to guess that suburbanites and soccer moms dominate their fan base.. So moving to Towson puts them that much closer to that fan base..much like why the Braves moved out of Atlanta. Downtown Towson is also going through a rebirth so.. this would complement a semi pro sport like the Blast.. as people look for things to do before and after the game.. There is also less competition for attendance/activities than what you have in Baltimore. I think its unfortunate for the City but understandable if I am the ownership of the Blast

Old 09-06-2017, 02:40 AM

406 posts, read 486,854 times
Ed Hale, owner of the Blast, has been feuding with Baltimore City for years now. The Blast have lead the league in attendance for years now - the move is foolish imho. Not losing any sleep though - wake me up when the Ravens or Orioles move to the county...

Old 09-06-2017, 08:18 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
What's this going to do to the Royal Farms Arena? I know they host concerts and what-not, but I thought the Blast was their biggest draw. And this comes on top of Ringling Bros. folding up their tent for good, which knocks out a week's worth of heavy attendance.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:53 PM

406 posts, read 486,854 times
Honestly I don't really think it changes much at all. Surprisingly it might actually help the arena become more profitable. It's currently the most profitable venue of its size in the nation. Perhaps less Blast games and more big ticket concerts will help in the arena's remaining years:

Royal Farms Arena named top-grossing venue of its size in U.S. - Baltimore Sun

How long will we all have to ponder the fate of the RoFo Arena? Time will tell. Bonds on the 1990s convention center expansion are soon to expire, potentially opening up a revenue stream for a new arena and convention center expansion:

Team named to study convention center expansion, possible new arena - Baltimore Sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: