Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Was Baltimore ever a serious contender? I mean seriously...between the hilariously high crime rate and populace that's not exactly highly educated in general, who seriously believed that Baltimore was in serious contention for the prize?
Sure, it probably wasn’t seriously in contention, although in terms of education, Baltimore metro is typically in the top 15 or so in the country, so I’m not sure education was necessarily a sticking point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:33 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
But there is a location in Maryland and a slew of cities led by Democrats on the shortlist...
This was funny. That moron can never shut his trap.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
I hope they stay out of Maryland. I do not need to give them a dime of my money through taxes.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:27 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Was Baltimore ever a serious contender? I mean seriously...between the hilariously high crime rate and populace that's not exactly highly educated in general, who seriously believed that Baltimore was in serious contention for the prize?
The above is what a typical Northern Virginia idiot thinks about Baltimore. My first year college roommates were from Northern Virginia and I never heard the end of how horrible Baltimore is.

According to Forbes, (a good source; they are not known for fake news) Baltimore is the ninth most educated city in the country.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle.../#214bdd7b7cd3

According to the NYT, (they are known for fake news, but I don't think this chart is fake) the Baltimore area is number 14 in the country for most college educated. That beats Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, Columbus, Charlotte, Dallas, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, and Miami, all of whom are still in the running.

Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 01-21-2018, 01:33 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I hope they stay out of Maryland. I do not need to give them a dime of my money through taxes.
I agree with you that we taxpayers should not be giving benefit packages to corporations, but no matter where they go, our federal tax dollars will be used to get the company to move there.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:33 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:

A high crime rate is hilarious?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Its interesting that Newark, NJ is a finalist and suffers from some of the same ills as Baltimore.. though they have made great strides.. Its proximity to NYC (like Baltimore's to DC) likely is having a spillover effect now that places like Jersey City and Hoboken are now pricey. Even if Newark does not get the headquarters.. the publicity of being a finalist bodes well for the City in terms of PR and bragging rights to add to some of the real changes happening on the ground. Newark is also a third of the size of Baltimore which helps in terms of managing some of the challenges it faces...

Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Its interesting that Newark, NJ is a finalist and suffers from some of the same ills as Baltimore.. though they have made great strides.. Its proximity to NYC (like Baltimore's to DC) likely is having a spillover effect now that places like Jersey City and Hoboken are now pricey. Even if Newark does not get the headquarters.. the publicity of being a finalist bodes well for the City in terms of PR and bragging rights to add to some of the real changes happening on the ground. Newark is also a third of the size of Baltimore which helps in terms of managing some of the challenges it faces...

Newark also has NJ Transit, PATH trains, Amtrak and Ferry Svcs. in addition to the subway. Newark is actually closer to NY than Baltimore is DC, so a subway ride is quick.

I think what's being overlooked is that Baltimore does not have the infrastructure to support HQ2.

Last edited by choccity; 01-22-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 01:18 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Newark also has NJ Transit, PATH trains, Amtrak and Ferry Svcs. in addition to the subway. Newark is actually closer to NY than Baltimore is DC, so a subway ride is quick.

I think what's being overlooked is that Baltimore does not have the infrastructure to support HQ2.

Someone mentioned the cancellation of the Red Line as another factor.. I still don't understand why a tunnel under Cooks Lane and Downtown had to be constructed which sent the price tag through the roof. There was a proposal by some transit advocates to keep the tracks on the surface and to use the existing Howard Street Corridor as a "central spine" with tracks going to and from SE Baltimore running on Pratt Street. Some argued that it would still be SLOW.. But "Central Spine" concept would have allowed Baltimore to quadruple the number of Light Rail train routes.. (ex. Woodlawn to BWI or Canton to BWI, Canton to Hunt Valley or Hunt Valley to Woodlawn) since the trains would use various interlocks along Howard Street to travel to these various destinations. You would also have dozens of transfer points to local buses that are already using the surface. Then the proposed extension into Port Covington could even add an additional dynamic.. The light rail wouldn't run to BWI from Port Covington.. but could run from Port Covington to Penn Station which would allow for a transfer onto the MARC or even Amtrak.

Again, I don't know why the SRB didn't sit down with Hogan and proffer this revamp when she had the opportunity to do it when it became clear that he was going to pull the plug. She said the City would have a plan.. and then didn't do anything.. which then prompted Hogan to do the Baltimore Link thing in the absence of her leadership. Seems like the less costly alternative would have allowed for Hogan to do both the Purple and the Red Line..> But without any direction or leadership coming from the city (SRB I think had checked out and was weighing her re-election chances which she ultimately punted on) it left a void and few alternatives

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-22-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,700 times
I did mention on another thread that I think the RED Line being canceled didn't help with securing Amazon 2.

I have heard that Ben Jealous and others running for MD Governor want to bring the 'Red Line' back to the negotiating table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore