Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 12:46 PM

471 posts, read 272,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yeah, but a block from Mech Theater you have an even larger and taller project under construction at 1 Light (342'; 800,000 sqft) and a block from 300 Pratt you have a new hotel going up (25 S. Calvert), so it's not like Baltimore's downtown or surrounding neighborhoods are stagnant. I'm always shocked by how many high rises go up, year after year. Poorer neighborhoods must really be emptying out for the city to still be losing population.
That's a good point. I just wish people would start utilizing the abandoned buildings downtown in addition to the new construction. There are so many cool buildings on Howard Street, and it would have a positive effect on crime reduction if there was more foot traffic due to people actually having a reason to go over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 07:33 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
That's a good point. I just wish people would start utilizing the abandoned buildings downtown in addition to the new construction. There are so many cool buildings on Howard Street, and it would have a positive effect on crime reduction if there was more foot traffic due to people actually having a reason to go over there.
407-415 Howard Street "Howard Row" went under permit last week. That's a start. I wish the city would threaten receivership on the privately owned vacants on Howard Street, but only after they get their own house in order by getting their property they own in the hands of people that will bring it back to life. To me, the city seems too worried about getting maximum value from its own vacant buildings. Instead, they should make every reasonable effort to get their property back online. Then they will be in a position to go after everybody else.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yeah, but a block from Mech Theater you have an even larger and taller project under construction at 1 Light (342'; 800,000 sqft) and a block from 300 Pratt you have a new hotel going up (25 S. Calvert), so it's not like Baltimore's downtown or surrounding neighborhoods are stagnant. I'm always shocked by how many high rises go up, year after year. Poorer neighborhoods must really be emptying out for the city to still be losing population.
Not just poorer neighborhoods. According to the Census, Hampden, Central Charles Village, Bolton Hill, Paterson Park, Central Federal Hill, and Butcher's Hill are all losing population. Since these areas are thriving, it must be caused by a trend towards lower household size in neighborhoods with rising incomes. Those expensive apartment buildings also have tiny household sizes. In declining neighborhoods, whole households are disappearing. Baltimore is currently in a perfect storm, in that new construction isn't adding much population and falling household sizes and abandonment are decreasing population everywhere else.

The good news is that household size can't decline forever. I predict a population turnaround sometime around 2025.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:38 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,313,742 times
Potential renders have come out for phase II. The tower is 50 stories and taller then the Transamerica Building

Old 06-26-2019, 05:25 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Potential renders have come out for phase II. The tower is 50 stories and taller then the Transamerica Building

Would be a very interesting addition.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,183 times
Sadly to many of these super high rises ruin the quaintness of the city. It's what YOU MILLENNIAL's want though........

The Eloi in their ivory towers with the Morlocks on the ground. Wonder how that turns out......

Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Sadly to many of these super high rises ruin the quaintness of the city. It's what YOU MILLENNIAL's want though........

The Eloi in their ivory towers with the Morlocks on the ground. Wonder how that turns out......
I haven't lived in Baltimore for 3+ years now lol.

I'm more exited in the city may finally getting a new tallest building in the city... it's been what 40+ since the Transamerica building went up lol

Old 06-26-2019, 01:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:

Looks nice. Do you have a link to these pictures/ this building?

Old 06-26-2019, 05:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,183 times
Quote:
I haven't lived in Baltimore for 3+ years now lol.

I'm more exited in the city may finally getting a new tallest building in the city... it's been what 40+ since the Transamerica building went up lol
Yeah, but many posters make it sound like build baby, build. I was born in the city, and am from here! As were my parents, and their parents........

Baltimore does have a quaintness the will be destroyed by this build massive buildings everywhere mindset.

You can always hop on Kilduffs and see how much has been lost already.

Change is inevitable. Lets try to keep history, and make progress sensible.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Looks nice. Do you have a link to these pictures/ this building?
RaySpace

It's an architecture firm who I'm assuming one the proposal for Phase II of 414 Light Street. Word on the street is the 2nd tower is supposed to break ground this time next year or early 2021
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: