Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:22 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I dunno.. I think we are giving these kids waaaay to much credit. To think that their behavior would be influenced by whether or not they THINK the person that they run up on is packing heat or not.. I don't think it matters to them.. To a professional criminal..for sure.. but not to these kids. Its interesting that people place so much value on legally carrying a firearm .. Its good that everyone wants to be so law abiding.. but I know contractors and delivery folks that "carry" when they go into rough parts of town.. I asked one if they had a permit and they just laughed....

The unfortunate and likely result of an encounter with a Charles Brosnan 'Death Wish' Type would be a gun battle in the street. You get jumped and pull out.. the perp pulls out and the wild west happens... of course if you are a good shot maybe you win.. but then you will likely be involved in another battle... Baltimore City Courts.... You better hope you can bond out.. if not you will go to City Jail to be held.. the news and this board will have a field day.. with "Let Him Go" and "Lock Him Up" chants abound and the publicity of the case will find its way into the jail..where now you are jailbait for every thug and gangster that wants to make a name for themselves killing the vigilante .. I guess you can be a Martyr though and maybe push the dial on easing the "carry law" which will likely get named after you

The irony of all this (if there is any) is that in the BPD news report where they interviewed the BPD spokesman about the armed robbery/beating of people going trick or treat and the spokesperson sounded exasperated and said"....when something happens to these kids people will be up in arms".. or something to that affect basically acknowledging the frustration they and other feel
Wrong.

Kids don't want to die like everyone else. All you have to do is show your gun and 90% of them will take off like the cowards they are. I don't want to carry a gun to use it, I want the deterrence available to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 03:23 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
No, we don't have this type of situation because Center City is not downtown Baltimore. The layout, surroundings, size of police force, and other factors make a difference. And we have plenty of our own issues as well. It's not like we have low crime as a result of holstered guns on every law-abiding citizen in the city...in fact, we don't have low crime at all.
Take away shall issue and your crime will get even worse.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:50 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,741 times
Quote:
I disagree. Are you saying a mentally mature, sane, stable human being all of a sudden decides to physically assault a stranger in full view of other people?[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Yes they do decide. They choose to commit crimes, it's a choice and common in Baltimore.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Walking while white.
I think it's more walking while appearing middle class or touristy .... just had a similar incident with young minority victim in Inner Harbor.

Surrounding area youth who feel no benefit from the developed harbor are lashing out.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:37 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,741 times
Quote:
Surrounding area youth who feel no benefit from the developed harbor are lashing out.[LEFT]

It benefits them and it's not exactly new, the harbor has been there for years. The problem is democrat politicians have emboldened the youth to act out. The mayor during the Freddy Gray riots encouraged the protesters to riot, local colleges(liberals) buses students in to protest and possibly riot. The Baltimore politicians do not prosecute the criminals, so its a wild wild west situation.
[/LEFT]

Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:
Walking while white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I think it's more walking while appearing middle class or touristy .... just had a similar incident with young minority victim in Inner Harbor.

Surrounding area youth who feel no benefit from the developed harbor are lashing out.

I understand that a number of the victims are elderly. I wonder if the quasi-humans would have "lashed out" against 10 members of a football team who were in the inner harbor doing their "touristy" thing before an upcoming game in the State.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,061 times
Quote:
I understand that a number of the victims are elderly. I wonder if the quasi-humans would have "lashed out" against 10 members of a football team who were in the inner harbor doing their "touristy" thing before an upcoming game in the State.
I don't advocate violence but sometimes getting knocked down after trying to bully someone isn't such a bad thing.

I especially hate seeing elderly targeted for random attacks.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:16 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I don't advocate violence but sometimes getting knocked down after trying to bully someone isn't such a bad thing.

I especially hate seeing elderly targeted for random attacks.

Which of the 10 family members was trying to bully a gang of 40 thugs?

Must've missed something in the news article.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:41 PM

143 posts, read 158,628 times
Quote:
Which of the 10 family members was trying to bully a gang of 40 thugs?

Must've missed something in the news article.
I think they were talking about the thugs getting knocked down for being bullies not being a bad thing

Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 PM

143 posts, read 158,628 times
This kind of stuff is incredibly sad. I've been to Baltimore and the Inner harbor once about 10 or 15 years ago and I remember the area looking nice and not seeming all that unsafe, maybe I was just younger and unaware. But other cities with major crime issues do a good job keeping a police presence in the main tourist areas. New Orleans has bad crime but the French Quarter is pretty well patrolled, Memphis is bad but Beale street and the surrounding areas have a lot of police. Even the worst of the worst like Detroit and St. Louis at least keep their downtowns pretty safe. Unfortunately stories like this make it seem like Baltimore either can't do this or isn't doing this, it sounds like in this thread this isn't an isolated occurrence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore