Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:37 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One of the worst things in the Dem primary last year was O'Malley apologizing for his handling of crime during his mayoral days. He should have been unapologetic like Bloomberg and Giuliani.
count on marty to apologize for the one thing he got right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 02:37 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One of the worst things in the Dem primary last year was O'Malley apologizing for his handling of crime during his mayoral days. He should have been unapologetic like Bloomberg and Giuliani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
count on marty to apologize for the one thing he got right.
and to not apologize for all of the things he got wrong.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
O'Malley was a disgrace and I'm glad Hillary and the corrupt DNC rigged the primaries against him.
He wouldn't win in a fair election anyhow.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And those people moving will take their problems and behaviors out to the suburbs.
Go up the hill on Cranbrook RD.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
I think I've mentioned the soln for this. Evict every human in Baltimore city, bulldoze everything. Hire the city planners that did HoCo/Arlington/Bethesda. Then start cherry picking who you let in by charging high rents. In a few years Baltimore City would be up there with DC, NoMa etc..

Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
I think I've mentioned the soln for this. Evict every human in Baltimore city, bulldoze everything. Hire the city planners that did HoCo/Arlington/Bethesda. Then start cherry picking who you let in by charging high rents. In a few years Baltimore City would be up there with DC, NoMa etc..
I bet you would have enjoyed Stalin's Russia.

Getting back to the actual topic at hand, I think some of what is demoralizing to residents is the pace of change they desire. Baltimore decayed fairly quickly. Those who experienced that probably feel it should come back just as fast. I wish that were true, but it is ten times harder to bring a place like Baltimore back than to let it rot further.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:16 PM

124 posts, read 190,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I bet you would have enjoyed Stalin's Russia.

Getting back to the actual topic at hand, I think some of what is demoralizing to residents is the pace of change they desire. Baltimore decayed fairly quickly. Those who experienced that probably feel it should come back just as fast. I wish that were true, but it is ten times harder to bring a place like Baltimore back than to let it rot further.
Just hire Giuliani to clean up Baltimore, and have him rollout the same "Broken Windows Theory" and Compstat tactics. Under the Giuliani police state, NYC murder rates rapidly collapsed. It was a huge change, and it happened immediately. In his very first year, NYC murder rates fell -25%, and just kept plummeting year after year. NYC was completely transformed.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:01 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
Just hire Giuliani to clean up Baltimore, and have him rollout the same "Broken Windows Theory" and Compstat tactics. Under the Giuliani police state, NYC murder rates rapidly collapsed. It was a huge change, and it happened immediately. In his very first year, NYC murder rates fell -25%, and just kept plummeting year after year. NYC was completely transformed.
What the. There are still people who think of Giuliani like this? It's long since been shown that crime rates started falling precipitously years before Giuliani took office. And that the 90s plunge in violent crime happened in effectively every major city, not just NYC.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:00 AM

124 posts, read 190,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
What the. There are still people who think of Giuliani like this? It's long since been shown that crime rates started falling precipitously years before Giuliani took office. And that the 90s plunge in violent crime happened in effectively every major city, not just NYC.
No, murder rates were in slow decline. But in Giuliani's first year, NYC murder rates completely collapsed. After 20 years of the Giuliani police state (Giuliani & Bloomberg), murder rates ended up 1/6th of what they used to be.

Among major US cities, NYC went from having one of the highest murder rates, to having the lowest. No other major US city experienced that kind of dramatic plunge. Other cities might have had declines in murder rates, but NYC raced past them.

I saw the transformation firsthand, and it was incredible. Not only in crime, but in people's daily attitude, trust, anger, aggression levels. Unless you were living in NYC during the Giuliani years, you can't really appreciate how dramatic the change was.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
One fix is to replace the corrupt democrats running Baltimore with honest ones. That means honest Republicans. Otherwise Baltimore is just destined to be another crime infested, poverty generating dump, like Detroit, Chicago, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore