Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:56 AM

605 posts, read 669,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
I think I've mentioned the soln for this. Evict every human in Baltimore city, bulldoze everything. Hire the city planners that did HoCo/Arlington/Bethesda. Then start cherry picking who you let in by charging high rents. In a few years Baltimore City would be up there with DC, NoMa etc..
Last time I checked neighborhoods such as Harbor East, Fells Point, Mount Vernon, Roland Park, Federal Hill, Locust Point, Hampden, Patterson Park/Highlandtown, Canton, and Greektown, were perfectly fine. It's the other neighborhoods that are having issues. FYI you could not pay me to live in Arlington or Bethesda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quick, easy fix; adopt Project Exile and a stop-and-frisk policy within legal limits. When a felon is caught with a gun, they go to jail with no bail and do 5 years mandatory with no chance of early release. That gets some of the most violent off of the streets.

But then comes the hard part; changing the mindset of the roaming gangs of yutes. The successful, black men and women that came up through a system of poverty (Ban Carson comes to mind) need to be promoted as role models; not the trash of humanity who deals poison the streets like Gray. As long as they keep idolizing trash, there is no hope.

I have less optimism for the latter than the former.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:35 PM

390 posts, read 505,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieJoe View Post
With the huge rise in violence in Baltimore, what will it take for residence and politicians to realize that it's time to make an aggressive effort to stop the amount of violence that has occurred?
Well there was a time when the Police used to, *once in a while*, beat the living crap out of known criminals such as drug dealers, etc. who destroy people's lives.....that seemed to work a lot better than what's going on now. The residents there should be happy as they've got what they want, a demoralized police force that's just doing barely enough while collecting that paycheck; like most other Govt' employees.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:05 PM

675 posts, read 723,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Quick, easy fix; adopt Project Exile and a stop-and-frisk policy within legal limits. When a felon is caught with a gun, they go to jail with no bail and do 5 years mandatory with no chance of early release. That gets some of the most violent off of the streets.

But then comes the hard part; changing the mindset of the roaming gangs of yutes. The successful, black men and women that came up through a system of poverty (Ban Carson comes to mind) need to be promoted as role models; not the trash of humanity who deals poison the streets like Gray. As long as they keep idolizing trash, there is no hope.

I have less optimism for the latter than the former.
In Baltimore it used to 5 years if one got caught carrying an illegal gun but I don't think it was a federal charge but I'm not sure. Now our Mayor wants a year without the courts ability to decrease actual time served. I am not impressed with our mayors ability nor the courts, nor the Democrats desire to handle crime. Idolizing Freddie Grey seems appropriate to me. After all he was a drug dealer and the number of people on drugs in Baltimore is very high.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:28 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The black poor are an especially problematic demographic. The cultural rot is very severe compared to the poor of other groups. in San Fran, blacks make up like 4% of the population but commit the majority of violent crime. We can't talk about these issues because folks are accused of racism. Good chance my post is removed but that's just the reality we are facing.
Well, what do you suggest that we do about the problem? I can't stop impoverished Black individuals from murdering one another. The only thing the rest of the Black population can do is avoid hood rats.

I know there are many issues in the inner city. And you know what? Maybe the reason I have trouble discussing these issues because I understand that Blacks are looked down on in general. I only feel comfortable discussing the problem with those who will not use the problem as an opportunity to complain about Blacks in general.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:02 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, what do you suggest that we do about the problem? I can't stop impoverished Black individuals from murdering one another. The only thing the rest of the Black population can do is avoid hood rats.

I know there are many issues in the inner city. And you know what? Maybe the reason I have trouble discussing these issues because I understand that Blacks are looked down on in general. I only feel comfortable discussing the problem with those who will not use the problem as an opportunity to complain about Blacks in general.
Here's what you can do about the problem: stop supporting those who support those who cause problems, and start supporting those who want to work towards solutions. Case in point: rap music. No, not all of it glorifies violence and misogyny and disrespect for the law; but a lot of it does. "Artists" who perform such "music" should be shunned and their products avoided. But someone is buying their songs, and it can't all be hoodrats. But since these "artists" are successful, they keep pumping out more of their sewage, and further rot the morals of their listeners.

Yes, I know, I sound like some old fuddy-duddy. Well, prove me wrong. Try subjecting someone to some of that (word that rhymes with "rap") for weeks at a time, and have someone else listen to . . . I don't know, Barry Manilow or Beethoven or someone. Let's see which one turns out to be more antisocial.

Oh, and by "you," I don't necessarily mean you personally, green_mariner. But it seems that all too many people lend their support to the worst elements of their culture instead of the best.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:10 PM

777 posts, read 880,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Here's what you can do about the problem: stop supporting those who support those who cause problems, and start supporting those who want to work towards solutions. Case in point: rap music. No, not all of it glorifies violence and misogyny and disrespect for the law; but a lot of it does. "Artists" who perform such "music" should be shunned and their products avoided. But someone is buying their songs, and it can't all be hoodrats. But since these "artists" are successful, they keep pumping out more of their sewage, and further rot the morals of their listeners.

Yes, I know, I sound like some old fuddy-duddy. Well, prove me wrong. Try subjecting someone to some of that (word that rhymes with "rap") for weeks at a time, and have someone else listen to . . . I don't know, Barry Manilow or Beethoven or someone. Let's see which one turns out to be more antisocial.

Oh, and by "you," I don't necessarily mean you personally, green_mariner. But it seems that all too many people lend their support to the worst elements of their culture instead of the best.
Did you know that for a long while
suburban white kids were the largest
consumers, demographically, of rap
music? Still might be.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Well, currently, Blacks are not the largest consumer of such music. Yes, if such music was not bought, the rappers would stop coming up with it. In order to get people to stop supporting it. And it has to be worldwide. If every Black person stopped buying it, that still leavings millions and millions more non-Blacks who are still buying it. There has to be a worldwide boycott.

I also want to bring this up. The violence and drugs going on in the ghettos has been taking place for decades. It came BEFORE rap music. There were all sorts of problems going back to the 1960s. Gangster rap is a product of it.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Did you know that for a long while
suburban white kids were the largest
consumers, demographically, of rap
music? Still might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, currently, Blacks are not the largest consumer of such music. Yes, if such music was not bought, the rappers would stop coming up with it. In order to get people to stop supporting it. And it has to be worldwide. If every Black person stopped buying it, that still leavings millions and millions more non-Blacks who are still buying it. There has to be a worldwide boycott.

I also want to bring this up. The violence and drugs going on in the ghettos has been taking place for decades. It came BEFORE rap music. There were all sorts of problems going back to the 1960s. Gangster rap is a product of it.

Listening to that stuff isn't doing the white kids any favors either.

I used rap as an example of the larger problem, which is cultural rot. The toleration, or even celebration, of antisocial and criminal elements. The denigration of others who wish to excel, especially in terms of education. ("Acting white" is not generally seen as a compliment in this context.) The demand for "respect," despite the absence of having done anything worthy of it, and the willingness to use violence if one has not been shown a sufficient quantity of it. The refusal to delay gratification. The unwillingness to marry the mother or father of your child, to say nothing of the unwillingness to defer having children before marriage.

Rap may be a cause of these problems or it may be a symptom of them. Probably more of the latter, but at least some of the former as well. But that's not the point. The point is that there is cultural decay afflicting segments of the black population (and others as well, but not to the same proportional extent, at least not yet), and it's causing a huge host of problems. I don't know how to fix it; but I do know that a lot of other problems could be fixed, or made better, if this one were addressed.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:01 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Only one thing left to do. Keep electing Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore