U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:56 PM

4,621 posts, read 6,183,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
If they locked up every violent criminal roaming the streets in Baltimore tomorrow Maryland would instantly become a red state.
lol what a chuckle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 PM

6,913 posts, read 10,487,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainschaos View Post
lol what a chuckle

And the streets will run red with BLOOD

Old 12-24-2017, 08:30 AM

147 posts, read 120,523 times
Any shade isnt safe. People are killed in various complexions; regardless of age. Maryland has this black and white talk problem. Like no one else exists. I guess everyone else is immortal.. Walk down the street, your ****ed; no matter WHAT you look like.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:34 AM

147 posts, read 120,523 times
Quote:
If they locked up every violent criminal roaming the streets in Baltimore tomorrow Maryland would instantly become a red state.
Violent criminals do not only exist in Baltimore, but okay..

Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM

58,133 posts, read 50,685,302 times
Quote:
Considering that the majority of people living in Baltimore are not violent criminals, that is the biggest lie I've ever heard. Unless you consider the Black population to be violent criminals.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 AM

9,033 posts, read 5,140,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Considering that the majority of people living in Baltimore are not violent criminals, that is the biggest lie I've ever heard. Unless you consider the Black population to be violent criminals.
This actually raises a question in my mind. Just what share of the people living in Baltimore are violent criminals? I realize that criminality is a continuum, so that technically, both a murderer and a jaywalker would count as criminals. But what is the share of the population that engages in felonies, such as murders, rapes, carjackings, etc.? How many people would have to be locked up to cut the violent crime rate in half? By two-thirds? By 95 percent?

As you said, green_mariner, the majority of Baltimoreans are not violent criminals. I would bet that a relatively small number of people are responsible for the majority of violent crime. And it's those people who need to be locked up, taken off the streets, removed from society.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This actually raises a question in my mind. Just what share of the people living in Baltimore are violent criminals? I realize that criminality is a continuum, so that technically, both a murderer and a jaywalker would count as criminals. But what is the share of the population that engages in felonies, such as murders, rapes, carjackings, etc.? How many people would have to be locked up to cut the violent crime rate in half? By two-thirds? By 95 percent?

As you said, green_mariner, the majority of Baltimoreans are not violent criminals. I would bet that a relatively small number of people are responsible for the majority of violent crime. And it's those people who need to be locked up, taken off the streets, removed from society.
Some simple math would be very telling. If the majority of Baltimore's population were violent criminals, the violent crime rat would be much higher. Baltimore is in bad shape, but not that bad of shape.

And as you mention, common sense says a small portion of the population contributes to the majority of the population. And I agree that they need to be locked up.

This is where I came to my conclusion. The person I replied to said that Maryland would be a red state if the all the violent criminals in Baltimore were locked up. For starters, the average violent criminal is far less likely to vote than the average person. And if every violent criminal in Baltimore was locked up, that would about 10,000 people locked up (or less when you count the people who commit multiple crimes). Considering the low political participation of violent criminals in combination with the number of them, we can conclude that Maryland would still be a blue state because there would still be more than enough people voting in Baltimore. And there is something else. Baltimore is majority Black, and it is a Democratic city. Considering the rate of which Blacks vote for Democrats, I know many people who don't like this. Considering these details, I cannot see how locking up every violent criminal would turn a state Republican. However, I can see how a state would turn Republican if at least 300,000 African-Americans didn't vote.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:11 PM

6,913 posts, read 10,487,282 times
Quote:
Some simple math would be very telling. If the majority of Baltimore's population were violent criminals, the violent crime rat would be much higher. Baltimore is in bad shape, but not that bad of shape.

And as you mention, common sense says a small portion of the population contributes to the majority of the population. And I agree that they need to be locked up.

This is where I came to my conclusion. The person I replied to said that Maryland would be a red state if the all the violent criminals in Baltimore were locked up. For starters, the average violent criminal is far less likely to vote than the average person. And if every violent criminal in Baltimore was locked up, that would about 10,000 people locked up (or less when you count the people who commit multiple crimes). Considering the low political participation of violent criminals in combination with the number of them, we can conclude that Maryland would still be a blue state because there would still be more than enough people voting in Baltimore. And there is something else. Baltimore is majority Black, and it is a Democratic city. Considering the rate of which Blacks vote for Democrats, I know many people who don't like this. Considering these details, I cannot see how locking up every violent criminal would turn a state Republican. However, I can see how a state would turn Republican if at least 300,000 African-Americans didn't vote.

One items which has been said before regarding homicides.. though I don't know how true it is.... is that the majority of the homicides are committed against people who are familiar with one another.. whether it be domestic or gang related. That majority of what someone would consider a "random homicide" or robbery that goes bad that results in death are a much smaller portion of the overall homicide victims in the city.. I have a friend who is in law enforcement in NYC and he marvels at how high the homicide rate is for a city Baltimore's size. He proffered that the perps are more violent than their peers in say NYC because they know that there is a good chance that they may run into their victim again..especially if they are in the same criminal enterprise together or rivals. Therefore; the results are more deadly because the perps are looking to eliminate (not scare or simply intimidate) their rival victims in order to minimize the chance that they can exact their revenge on them. Baltimore is Smalltimore.. and when it comes to neighborhood based crime.. I imagine it gets even smaller.

I thought this did make some sense however when you look at many small town that have similar problems.. their homicide rates should be equally as high because of the same issue....or maybe percentage wise it is less because of the smaller population? Nonetheless the rate is tragic and depressing...

Old 12-27-2017, 08:26 PM

390 posts, read 404,095 times
Quote:
He didn't say anything about Black people, yet you went directly to Black people. This makes you suspect of thinking exactly this, deep down inside, that the Black people of Baltimore are criminals.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
He didn't say anything about Black people, yet you went directly to Black people. This makes you suspect of thinking exactly this, deep down inside, that the Black people of Baltimore are criminals.
He didn't have to. I read in between the lines. He said "if we got rid of every violent criminal in Baltimore the state of Maryland would be red". Considering that if you got rid of every violent criminal in Baltimore, that would constitute maybe 1% of Baltimore's population. Getting rid of 1% of the population would not affect the voting bloc, especially when you consider violent criminals aren't especially active at the polls. The only way to come close to making Maryland a red state via Baltimore would be to stop everyone in the city from voting. Considering what I know about Baltimore and its demographics, what else was I suppose to think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore