Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Mayfield is nice... it borders on its eastern side by Belair Edison.. which is a rather large neighborhood that has had some challenges in certain blocks.. I recall someone was murdered on their porch in Mayfield on the far end of Chesterfield near Belair Road(someone correct me if I am wrong). Some of the business along Belair Rd are problematic as with many commercial areas in this town.. but the overall area still seems to be holding on.. Classic Baltimore.. a nice area a stone throw away from more challenged areas.
I never heard about that murder but its Baltimore after all. I too co sign the Bel Air rd business. I still am shocked that there are no cafes or relevant businesses in and around Lake Montebello.... Especially the Mayfield feeling of a cottage lake environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I never heard about that murder but its Baltimore after all. I too co sign the Bel Air rd business. I still am shocked that there are no cafes or relevant businesses in and around Lake Montebello.... Especially the Mayfield feeling of a cottage lake environment.

This is the murder that I was referring to... It was several years ago.. The man was apparently a model resident and this was simply an attempted robbery and only a few yards from Belair Road... In my search for this article.. I did notice several other murders on Chesterfield.. but across Belair Road just inside Belair Edison....which goes back to the subject of my original post about living in close proximity to sketchy commercial corridors. They tend to get a lot of foot traffic which unfortunately attracts criminals if no other reason to prey on those pedestrians....90% of these stories begin with " the individual was entering/existing a carryout/liquor store/Chinese restaurant..when a number of unknown individuals descended upon him" and then cut to a graining security video that documents the horror.. I would not want to live within walking distance and along a direct route of most neighborhood commercial corridors in this city.

Murders this Week: 8; Murders this Year: 159 - Baltimore City Paper

Two teen boys, auto shop owner among latest Baltimore homicide victims - Baltimore Sun

Chesterfield Avenue « CBS Baltimore

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-16-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 03:26 AM

147 posts, read 155,945 times
Reminds me of my county. I have only lived there for about 15 years, and as of 2016, it has become majority black county. Its not a bad thing, but it is not necessarily a good thing. I could see the difference in high school. I was bullied by a lot of black students, and had a black principle who did not care, even when my parents went to talk to him. I almost dropped out. Sometimes i think it may have been best with a GED. It also does not feel the same anymore. There is too much sprawl, and homes with little acre availability compared to PG County. Many people have left to St. Marys and other counties. I personally want to leave because its getting expensive, unattractive, and too much traffic. I am hoping by the end of the year to live elsewhere.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 15,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
My Father sold real estate part time in the late 70's early 80's (Very part time more of a hobby) and he said he couldn't convince people to move to places like Fells Point.
I still will never forget when a friend of my Brother's who lived in our neighborhood in Cockeysville Father lost his exec job at GM and they sold their house and moved to Fells Point in about 1990 I thought they were moving to a horrible place. Nobody that grew up in the Northern Suburbs wanted anything to do with Baltimore. And many still don't.
Many people would look down on even the white neighborhoods as being red neck.
Funny how people look down on Cockeysville now because of the south western part of it. All millennial spoiled brats. You mention Hunt Valley or above Warren RD, Ivy Hill, Ashalnd, Pot Spring, Springlake, Loch Raven and on, and on they look at you goofy. They know nothing about the area they live in, or near. They really did a **** job with the area along Greenside, and the industrial park. Way to much!
Sorry, off topic.
"Nobody that grew up in the northern suburbs ever wanted anything to do with Baltimore....looked down upon white neighborhoods as redneck."

Sadly this is very accurate. I remember years ago in the mid 90s some kid who lived in one of those large McMansion type developments on upper Belair Road by Gunpowder Falls State Park made fun of me when I told him I was from Hamilton. According to him the only white people that lived in any area south of the Beltway (i.e. Baltimore City and it's immediate inner-ring suburbs) were "old people and white trash who wear Orioles ballcaps!"

I don't think kids who spent their entire time hanging out at White Marsh, Hunt Valley or Marley Station ever went into Baltimore. I'm sure even now none of them could tell you the names of any neighborhood in the city. To them the city's just the Inner Harbor and those ****hole neighborhoods you saw in The Wire.

Last edited by GordonFreeman98; 03-18-2018 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 15,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This is the murder that I was referring to... It was several years ago.. The man was apparently a model resident and this was simply an attempted robbery and only a few yards from Belair Road... In my search for this article.. I did notice several other murders on Chesterfield.. but across Belair Road just inside Belair Edison....which goes back to the subject of my original post about living in close proximity to sketchy commercial corridors. They tend to get a lot of foot traffic which unfortunately attracts criminals if no other reason to prey on those pedestrians....90% of these stories begin with " the individual was entering/existing a carryout/liquor store/Chinese restaurant..when a number of unknown individuals descended upon him" and then cut to a graining security video that documents the horror.. I would not want to live within walking distance and along a direct route of most neighborhood commercial corridors in this city.

Murders this Week: 8; Murders this Year: 159 - Baltimore City Paper

Two teen boys, auto shop owner among latest Baltimore homicide victims - Baltimore Sun

Chesterfield Avenue « CBS Baltimore
Even after the part of Belair Road down by Belair-Edison and Gardenville became predominantly black in the mid/late 90s many of the old-time establishments on lower Belair Road (La Fontaine Bleu, Sun Luck, Glenmore Gardens, Cafe Tattoo, Wockenfuss, Woodlea Bakery, Gil's Pizza, Seidel's Bowling, Earle Theater) were still there. But within a few years they either moved or shut down, and more seedy type "joints" began showing up (along with a surge in storefront churches).

And yes you're right, I've noticed that most of these liquor stores, carryouts and convenience stores have a clientele that's 90% black (even in racially mixed neighborhoods in much better such as Hamilton, Lauraville and Overlea). The fact they're both on bus routes may also be a factor as it's the areas by bus stops where I've seen the highest concentration of black youths in these areas.

Last edited by GordonFreeman98; 03-18-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore