Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:34 AM

675 posts, read 722,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
What bothers me is that so many people that have grown up in Baltimore don't think acts-know-as-crime are a problem. They seem to see crime "victims" as deserving of whatever happened to them because they did something wrong, or didn't fight back, or whatever. As for the criminals? That is just a job like any other. When "criminals" get arrested or hurt on the job, they are deserving of public's sympathy. After all, they are just doing what a Baltimorian is supposed to do - law abiding people are the problem.
After looking at the statistics on violent crime, murder included I was taken aback by the sentences that were given by judges for crimes of this nature. When I brought up these statistics at a community meeting their response was for more liberal sentencing. They themselves didn't want to be victims of crime but they were also not for having criminals serve their entire sentence in prison, even for murder A few weeks later I was talkin to a neighbor about the same issue and she made the comment that she thought the police were just arbitrarily arresting black males to keep them away from their family. Although this may be true in some cases I don't think it is true in general. This way of thinking is beyond being Pollyanna, it is delusional
But again the mentality of Baltimoreans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger 68 View Post
how are you going to accomplish anything without a tax base. Cutting taxes makes no sense.
I am not sure how many police officers there are in baltimore. But they have to police the streets, and you have a city of several hundred thousand people. One officer to every 5, 10 thousand residents. I am not sure what the actual number is.
Than you have an economic situation not just in baltimore, but nationally that is not working for many americans.
I will say that i think the far left has swung the door open for alot of this.
And it's a game played by the irresponsible media that is only concerned with making money, and know that people thrive on this type of reporting.
I don't even know where to start with that last comment. The republican party wants government out of the way so the investor class can do what ever it wants. If they are the party of do something i like to know what it is outside of lining the pockets of the wealthy.
i don't like either party. The two party system is so disfunctional that nothing is getting done. I would prefer a three party system,one that actually supports the middle class, not just in words but action.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 AM

8,219 posts, read 13,335,971 times
I thought I read somewhere that Baltimore is down by a in upwards of 100 Police Officers which leads to overtime and six figure salaries for officers who are pulling doubles and triples? Problem is they get burned out and if they are not a credit to their badge, you get sloppy police work or no police work at all.. I once saw a BPD Car parked early one morning down under an overpass with its lights off.. Was he/she making sure no one was tagging the underside of the bridge, doing drugs or were they simply asleep? Point being, Baltimore needs to hire more officers and pay them more money to "hopefully" get a better caliber of officer and train them accordingly (even if they have to hire better trainers/consultants etc) Paying cops $40k per year to deal with what they deal with.. we will continue to get poorly trained robots and less analytical type officers. Of course policing is only part of the crime reduction strategy but it is a big part of it.. New better paid and trained officers, leadership and resources should be a top priority. Once we get the collective house in order.. then we can focus on the streets...For the record I am not BPD officer or affiliated with any of them...just think we should try a different approach for what the collective we are paying for and not getting.. A GOOD POLICE FORCE

Old 01-22-2018, 10:42 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
A few weeks later I was talkin to a neighbor about the same issue and she made the comment that she thought the police were just arbitrarily arresting black males to keep them away from their family.
By this, do you mean that your neighbor was saying that black males were being arrested to keep them from (1) your neighbor's family, or (2) their own families? If (1), you could tell her that if she's concerned enough about a dearth of black males in proximity to her family, she could always move to any of the many neighborhoods in which they may be found in abundance. If (2), you could point out that all too many young black males have chosen to keep themselves away from their families (by not marrying their "baby mommas" or even bothering to be involved in their kids' lives), all without any help from the police.

Either way, I suspect your comments would go in one ear and right back out the other. There's just no talking sense to some people.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 AM

129 posts, read 163,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
By this, do you mean that your neighbor was saying that black males were being arrested to keep them from (1) your neighbor's family, or (2) their own families? If (1), you could tell her that if she's concerned enough about a dearth of black males in proximity to her family, she could always move to any of the many neighborhoods in which they may be found in abundance. If (2), you could point out that all too many young black males have chosen to keep themselves away from their families (by not marrying their "baby mommas" or even bothering to be involved in their kids' lives), all without any help from the police.

Either way, I suspect your comments would go in one ear and right back out the other. There's just no talking sense to some people.

Your comment makes absolutely no sense. I have no idea whether there are some officers who arbitrarily arrest black males who have not committed a crime. If this happens, I imagine it takes place in the ghettos, and I do not frequent ghettos, so don't know the ends and outs of what goes on there. But assuming it is true that this ocassionally happens, you are arguing that it's fine, because many black men abandon their families. Since when does fitting into a particular demographic make one not a individual?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeazabird View Post
Your comment makes absolutely no sense. I have no idea whether there are some officers who arbitrarily arrest black males who have not committed a crime. If this happens, I imagine it takes place in the ghettos, and I do not frequent ghettos, so don't know the ends and outs of what goes on there. But assuming it is true that this ocassionally happens, you are arguing that it's fine, because many black men abandon their families. Since when does fitting into a particular demographic make one not a individual?
You have missed my point. I was responding to another poster who mentioned a neighbor commenting on the police arresting young black men, and I was offering a response that would illustrate the absurdity of what the neighbor was saying.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Mayors and Police Commissioners live and die together in this town.. I suspect that this guy may be out if/when Pugh is shown the door by voters. He appears to be an insider..so he may last longer than a transplant...

Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Baltimore is down by a in upwards of 100 Police Officers which leads to overtime and six figure salaries for officers who are pulling doubles and triples? Problem is they get burned out and if they are not a credit to their badge, you get sloppy police work or no police work at all.. I once saw a BPD Car parked early one morning down under an overpass with its lights off.. Was he/she making sure no one was tagging the underside of the bridge, doing drugs or were they simply asleep? Point being, Baltimore needs to hire more officers and pay them more money to "hopefully" get a better caliber of officer and train them accordingly (even if they have to hire better trainers/consultants etc) Paying cops $40k per year to deal with what they deal with.. we will continue to get poorly trained robots and less analytical type officers. Of course policing is only part of the crime reduction strategy but it is a big part of it.. New better paid and trained officers, leadership and resources should be a top priority. Once we get the collective house in order.. then we can focus on the streets...For the record I am not BPD officer or affiliated with any of them...just think we should try a different approach for what the collective we are paying for and not getting.. A GOOD POLICE FORCE
The BIG PART OF IT as you said is really the courts .Davis said once to often WE KEEP ARRESTING THEM AND YOU KEEP RELEASING THEM. Although the research supports this judges do not like being criticized. Crime is big business in Baltimore and don't let the skeptics tell you otherwise. It supports many a lawyer, a law school, judges, their staff the politicians and so on. You would be astounded by what goes on behind judges doors, everything from ALZHEIMERS to PERSONALITY DISORDERS. Please do not continue to vote these same people back into their positions. Why do you think violent crime is on the rise ? Just because !!!

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO BE A POLICE OFFICER IN BALTIMORE WITH WHAT HAS TAKEN PLACE ? MOSBY HAS PARENT ISSUES. BOTH HER PARENTS WERE POLICE OFFICERS AND BOTH WERE DISMISSED FROM THEIR POSITIONS. I THINK THE FATHER WAS DISMISSED FOR SELLING DRUGS. GO FIGURE !

Old 03-29-2019, 11:42 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times
Just 10 months. He should have gotten 10 years.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/de-so...rison/26986249

Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
The BIG PART OF IT as you said is really the courts .Davis said once to often WE KEEP ARRESTING THEM AND YOU KEEP RELEASING THEM. Although the research supports this judges do not like being criticized. Crime is big business in Baltimore and don't let the skeptics tell you otherwise. It supports many a lawyer, a law school, judges, their staff the politicians and so on. You would be astounded by what goes on behind judges doors, everything from ALZHEIMERS to PERSONALITY DISORDERS. Please do not continue to vote these same people back into their positions. Why do you think violent crime is on the rise ? Just because !!!

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO BE A POLICE OFFICER IN BALTIMORE WITH WHAT HAS TAKEN PLACE ? MOSBY HAS PARENT ISSUES. BOTH HER PARENTS WERE POLICE OFFICERS AND BOTH WERE DISMISSED FROM THEIR POSITIONS. I THINK THE FATHER WAS DISMISSED FOR SELLING DRUGS. GO FIGURE !

LOL.. its only taken a year for me to respond to this but this is 100% correct... Since you posted this even Hogan has gone down to meet with the judges to talk about sentencing and I believe that didn't take his meeting so he had a press conference to criticize them which I am sure they didn't like...

I think prison is an industry in Baltimore with lawyers bail bondsman court system et al all making money off of a revolving door of defendants..This demoralizes good police and disenfranchise community leaders and activist whose focus is on public safety and cleaning up neighborhoods.. They either just put themselves in lock down and check out of the community or they move which further erodes civic activism and confidence. Lets not even get into "witness it" issues and intimidations of witnesses in the City. Most of the time I go to jury duty downtown I am reminded by the Bailiffs to take my juror badge off when I go out to lunch....Once I forgot and walked back past a group of guys who were smiling and enjoying the day..they laid eyes or my badge and their smiles melted away and left expressions that were a combination of bewilderment, rage and fear.... They watched me until I disappeared into the court house and probably stared at the door I entered for another 15 minutes after that... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: