Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 09:14 PM

72 posts, read 76,209 times

Advertisements

About to graduate and have been looking for places relocate to teach. I have looked up many cities and have learned the pros and cons here on city data. I've yet to read so many negative comments as I do on the Baltimore forum. Great God it sounds like a terrible place to live. I'm trying not to move too far from NYC. Any teachers on here that can give me some advice, such as can I afford a mortgage on teacher's salary and what are the best districts. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedwards83 View Post
About to graduate and have been looking for places to relocate to teach.
I'm trying not to move too far from NYC.
...can I afford a mortgage on teacher's salary and what are the best districts.
Start with the issue of the districts (see map below)...
unlike most of the Country Baltimore City is politically independent of Baltimore County which surrounds it.
Anything you read or question needs to make clear which side of the border line they refer to.
Then there are the OTHER 22 Maryland Counties and their school systems to look at.

As to mortgage (and home) affordability on a single teachers salary... that's tough anywhere.
Solving that will require strict budget discipline, an equal or better earning partner and down payment CASH.
Accumulating the cash (without family contribution) won't be easy.

Quote:
I have looked up many cities and have learned the pros and cons here on city data.
I've yet to read so many negative comments as I do on the Baltimore forum.
Great God it sounds like a terrible place to live.
How does the Maryland salary vs cost of living comparison sort out?
Attached Thumbnails
Is Baltimore really that horrible? Any teachers on this forum?-city-vs-county.png  

Last edited by MrRational; 02-19-2018 at 05:42 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,734 times
Teacher pay in the Baltimore Area is pretty good. First year base pay should get you lending affordability maybe a 175K mortgage on a 200K house. That will get you a nice house in most parts of the city. Baltimore County houses cost more, but, especially considering the lower property taxes, houses in the cheaper parts of Baltimore County are in range for teachers with a couple of years of experience. Northern Ann Arundel County can also be relatively cheap. Elsewhere in the area, you will just have to pay more. Considering the decent salaries, I think housing affordability for teachers is pretty good in the Baltimore area.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,091 times
Listen Baltimore City schools are likely the worst in the US.
The corrupt politicians in Baltimore wouldnt dare send there kids to these
Schools, so why would anybody want to teach there?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:46 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times
I'm not a teacher myself but I know two people who worked for the Balto. city schools. One was an experienced teacher who moved back to the Balto region and took a job teaching in Baltimore while the other person was a social worker. Both describe their experiences working in the city as horrible and left. The teacher is now in Hawaii and the social worker in Anne Arundle County (to the south of Baltimore city).

Old 02-23-2018, 04:50 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,726 times
I've been digging into it too and it seems rather bleak. A search for private schools with no religious affiliation turns up very few options as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: