Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:25 PM

37 posts, read 29,995 times

Advertisements

Looking for an apartment one bedroom hopefully under 1500 a month (or even less) in a safe area preferably walkable to shops and restaurants if possible (but not a deal killer) Two areas that I will going to is International Circle in Hunt Valley and a close friend who lives at McHenry Row in Locust Point on Whetstone Way in Baltimore. Not that I know what any of that means. Just started looking and know nothing about the area or commute times. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated or where to go on the web for info on the area. Moving from out of state; live in a city and in a gated apt now - should I look for gated there or not needed? No kids, no pets, in late 20's......would need a parking spot. Also helpful would be areas to avoid! Thanks in advance for your kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 01:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen510 View Post
Moving from out of state; live in a city No kids, no pets, in late 20's, need a parking spot.

Two areas that I will going to is International Circle in Hunt Valley
and a close friend who lives at McHenry Row in Locust Point on Whetstone Way in Baltimore.
Just started looking and know nothing about the area or long or commute times.

Looking for an apartment one bedroom hopefully under 1500 a month (or even less)
in a safe area preferably walkable to shops and restaurants (but not a deal killer)
1) Where's the job? That really should be MOST of the where decision.
There is no advantage to volunteering for a difficult commute.
Map LINK

2) $1500/mo (including utilities) should get you okay enough in either place.
Try to limit housing costs to whatever you NET per week (12/52's). Then you can enjoy life too.
(1500/wk net implies $90K gross)

3) The party choice is Federal Hill.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:28 PM

Job is the international circle in hunt valley location. Thx!

Old 03-10-2018, 02:44 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Live here and walk to work. Don't mess with Baltimore area traffic any more than you have to.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ma...on-hunt-valley

Old 03-10-2018, 03:53 PM

I don't know how to edit my original post. Sorry for the grammar mistakes

Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Live here and walk to work. Don't mess with Baltimore area traffic any more than you have to.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ma...on-hunt-valley
$$$$.
There are a zillion apartments in Cockeysville (That's the real name of Hunt Valley) just avoid Rossbrooke.
I live in the Townhouses on the western part of Cranbrook RD and there are lots of apartments that would suit your needs. Even a bus line that would take you near the Circle. Light rail runs right through International Circle as well.
Although restaurants are very close by most you would drive to, or walk to in under a half an hour. The entire area is very walkable. And unlike the city you have more choices and a whole lot less knuckle heads. More choices? A hell of a lot more choices. The NCR trail is close by also. And so is Loch Raven. (I have lived in this area almost my entire life)

Old 03-11-2018, 03:33 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
Two very different locations.

One is resolutely suburban. The other is urban and filled with yuppies. Which do you prefer? Contrary to Baltimore's crime reputation McHenry Row/Locust Point is one of the safest areas to live.

You will need to visit in person and you will know right away which is best for you. The people attracted to Locust Point in their 20s aren't going to be happy in Hunt Valley, and vice versa.

While living in Hunt Valley would give you a nearly non-existent commute, coming from Baltimore City wouldn't be too bad as it would be a reverse commute. You may find it worthwhile to live where you want to live and surrounded by the kinds of peers that appeal to you. Do you want to spend weekends in the suburban sterility of Hunt Valley or in the middle of a thriving urban area with bars and restaurants within easy walking distance?

Locust Point, Canton, Fell's Point and all the waterfront areas are the best places for young urban professionals to live in the entire metro area. Some people absolutely do not want the urban lifestyle, and that's fair enough. Nor can crime be completely discounted. But others will absolutely not want the suburban apartment complex lifestyle, and that's fair enough too. And they're willing to take the risk that the very low odds of being affected by crime in the waterfront neighborhoods are worth it.

A possible compromise between Hunt Valley and Locust Point would be Hampden. It's within Baltimore City but has an easier commute to Hunt Valley as it's north of Downtown and avoids the downtown traffic. Hampden is Baltimore's hipster/artsy area and has a number of apartment complexes. Also popular with grad students at Hopkins. A great avenue lined with a large selection of restaurants and boutiques and a handful of bars. It's probably Baltimore's closest equivalent to Brooklyn, if that makes sense to you. It is also possibly the "safest" area to live in Baltimore.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:22 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
There are all kinds of young people around here. No, the difference is you don't have the Saturday night nonsense of Fells Point, and it's quite at night. And what the hell would you move to Hampden for. The closest thing that would resemble Brooklyn would be around St Paul Street.
Move close to your job in a nice area. And the Apartments in Cockeysville would not be cheap, but they wouldn't be as expensive as many of those places.
Why would anybody have the chance to live in a nice area close to work and move into the city is a complete mystery to me.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:00 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
There are all kinds of young people around here. No, the difference is you don't have the Saturday night nonsense of Fells Point, and it's quite at night. And what the hell would you move to Hampden for. The closest thing that would resemble Brooklyn would be around St Paul Street.
Move close to your job in a nice area. And the Apartments in Cockeysville would not be cheap, but they wouldn't be as expensive as many of those places.
Why would anybody have the chance to live in a nice area close to work and move into the city is a complete mystery to me.
Have you been to Hampden within the last 15 years? It's easily the most popular artsy neighborhood in Baltimore with some of the best restaurants in the city. The old guard of "white trash" Hampdenites are slowly but surely being gentrified out.

There is a lot more to the waterfront than the bars of Fells or Federal Hill.

The original poster will know exactly which area is right for him, whether it's Hunt Valley or downtown. If he's like your typical educated young 20-something single, he will be gravitating towards the urban over suburban. But only he knows. We should not project our own experiences and preferences on him but be frank about the pros and cons of the two areas (along with Hampden, and I'd even throw in Mount Vernon) and let him decide. But I will say this, all the young people I know in their 20s and 30s, all highly educated and establishing themselves in their careers, are all oriented towards the city and only move to the county when they have children. And that does say a lot. But as I mentioned, only the OP knows what's best for him.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 AM

Thanks so much! This is all very helpful. I am looking at all the areas you mentioned and also one called Towson(? Thoughts.) keeping all my options open so far. It looks like I can get a great apt for under 1300. All the input is much appreciated, please keep it coming as there are so many neighborhoods and it seems a little like Alphabet Soup until educated. Also can you tell me where Rossbrooke (streets that define it etc I can't seem to locate it difinitively) is so I can avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore