Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:28 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
That's a trademark of the Baltimore Forum.
It's definitely a trade mark of a certain ideological group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Go on! Don't hold back! Call everyone you disagree with a name.
And one more funny comment, the person you were replying to does not obviously get out much. All the development that is going on out here, and in Towson.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:30 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Go on! Don't hold back! Call everyone you disagree with a name.
I no longer have the patience to reason with terrorists. People in this country, especially those who live in the suburbs, who want to slash public transportation, are nothing more than terrorists against life in metropolitan areas. As I've previously stated, some of those who would be affected by the theoretical stoppage of the light rail would end up in cars. The roads around Baltimore would end up becoming more congested, and those who rallied against having transit would be too stupid to realize exactly what they have done.

Yes, I will call out suburban terrorists for exactly what they are. Yes, I will call people who wish to eliminate transit options for those who choose not to drive sophomoric, idiotic, suburban dinosaurs. Yes, their attitudes and viewpoints are outdated and not compatible with modern planning.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM

631 posts, read 562,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I no longer have the patience to reason with terrorists. People in this country, especially those who live in the suburbs, who want to slash public transportation, are nothing more than terrorists against life in metropolitan areas. As I've previously stated, some of those who would be affected by the theoretical stoppage of the light rail would end up in cars. The roads around Baltimore would end up becoming more congested, and those who rallied against having transit would be too stupid to realize exactly what they have done.

Yes, I will call out suburban terrorists for exactly what they are. Yes, I will call people who wish to eliminate transit options for those who choose not to drive sophomoric, idiotic, suburban dinosaurs. Yes, their attitudes and viewpoints are outdated and not compatible with modern planning.
Eartha Kitt's daughter, Kitt McDonald (now Shapiro), collected a bunch of Eartha's sayings and has now marketed them on mugs, napkins, whatnots. She calls them Kittisms. My favorite is this one:

"God doesn't always come through when you want it, but He always comes through when you need it."

Last edited by 2ner; 08-28-2018 at 11:12 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

It's a matter of opinion as to whether anti-transit suburbanites should be considered to be sophomoric, idiotic dinosaurs. But terrorists? That's over the top. No one is talking about planting bombs on Light Rail trains, or gunning down their passengers in cold blood. They're talking about closing certain stations because they feel (rightly or wrongly) that those stations have given urban criminals easy access to their communities.

Those who advocate the closure of transit lines may be shortsighted. They may be indifferent to the severe inconveniences that closing these lines would impose on others. They may even be condemning themselves to a lower quality of life due to increased traffic congestion. But this does not make them terrorists.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:28 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I used to park at Linthicum and take the light rail to the ballpark. Goes through a pretty rough area. There were lots of baseball fans on the rail so it was relatively safe. Not sure I'd want to ride it otherwise.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:54 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
More development is needed around the transit stops in Baltimore to improve their safety... Westport is a prime example.. If the plan for Westport ever got developed (this goes back to Sheila Dixon) it would certainly have a positive impact on the LR.. Woodberry, Coldspring, and Mt. Washington are the only stops in the City outside of downtown that has true development that can (we hope) have a positive impact on the LR line. Hundreds of units are being built within walking distance of Coldspring and Woodberry alone. Cultural Center/State Center represents a tremendous opportunity as well outside of downtown proper..The other issue is outside of a 9 to 5 commute or a sporting event or concert.. why would someone take the light rail downtown? The train doesn't go anywhere near where most people want to go without a transfer to a bus.

I live in the City near the Coldspring stop (which has its own accessibility issues that hopefully will be partly corrected with new development). I find it easier to go downtown on the JFX for pleasure as opposed to using the Light Rail.. not because of safety but convenience.. You can park in most places in Fells or Harbor East (city garage) for $5 to $7 after 5pm. Traffic is practically non existent going intown from an in city location. I can eat and drink(responsibly) and get in my car and go home.. LR is a non factor since it would cost me nearly $4-$6 round trip (including the bus transfer) plus the inconvenience of getting from the main line over to Harbor East of Fells. Additionally after rush hour headways can reach 20 to 30 minutes!!!! that is outrageous.. I could go drive to Harbor East drink a beer.. drive home. change clothes and drive back Harbor East for seconds before the train arrives to take me downtown!!!!!!!.

My point being more development adds potential riders and if it is mixed use development.. many of these same developments (aka Woodberry and Clipper Mill, the Pepsi Plant(redevelopment), Union Collective) can become the destinations that people actually want to go to.. When the Jones Falls Bike Trail is completed.. You can ride your bike from Mt. Washington to Downtown on the trail and take the light rail back.. Those are the type of small trips and activities that encourages a broader ridership (leisure riders) in addition to the other types.

Last edited by Woodlands; 08-28-2018 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
More development is needed around the transit stops in Baltimore to improve their safety... Westport is a prime example.. If the plan for Westport ever got developed (this goes back to Sheila Dixon) it would certainly have a positive impact on the LR.. Woodberry, Coldspring, and Mt. Washington are the only stops in the City outside of downtown that has true development that can (we hope) have a positive impact on the LR line. Hundreds of units are being built within walking distance of Coldspring and Woodberry alone. Cultural Center/State Center represents a tremendous opportunity as well outside of downtown proper..The other issue is outside of a 9 to 5 commute or a sporting event or concert.. why would someone take the light rail downtown? The train doesn't go anywhere near where most people want to go without a transfer to a bus.

I live in the City near the Coldspring stop (which has its own accessibility issues that hopefully will be partly corrected with new development). I find it easier to go downtown on the JFX for pleasure as opposed to using the Light Rail.. not because of safety but convenience.. You can park in most places in Fells or Harbor East (city garage) for $5 to $7 after 5pm. Traffic is practically non existent going intown from an in city location. I can eat and drink(responsibly) and get in my car and go home.. LR is a non factor since it would cost me nearly $4-$6 round trip (including the bus transfer) plus the inconvenience of getting from the main line over to Harbor East of Fells. Additionally after rush hour headways can reach 20 to 30 minutes!!!! that is outrageous.. I could go drive to Harbor East drink a beer.. drive home. change clothes and drive back Harbor East for seconds before the train arrives to take me downtown!!!!!!!.

My point being more development adds potential riders and if it is mixed use development.. many of these same developments (aka Woodberry and Clipper Mill, the Pepsi Plant(redevelopment), Union Collective) can become the destinations that people actually want to go to.. When the Jones Falls Bike Trail is completed.. You can ride your bike from Mt. Washington to Downtown on the trail and take the light rail back.. Those are the type of small trips and activities that encourages a broader ridership (leisure riders) in addition to the other types.
Frustrating at times. I will go down to the city tomorrow to ply my wares, and I have to lug my sack over past harbor east from the convention center stop. Of course the bus, or circulator is a big help. But yeah, it doesn't really stop real close to anything. A 10 minute walk is required at least. Or more. The Harbor, and Mount Vernon are very close by as most of you know. The circulator is a mess. The seats are rotten and stink. Buses have been updated and are quite nice.
One thing that irritates me with the light rail and the city is coming from up here once you get past the Mount Royal stop it looks like a war zone on Howard Street. Empty businesses, dirty, people hanging around. And they want to showcase the city this way.
There is no denying there is a large group of suburbanites who ride the rail into the city.

And what bus transfer? A day pass is $4.20. You can get on anything with it. Multiple time throughout the day up until 3 AM. Fells point is a 20 minute walk. Unless you are made of Sugar. You are not going to wait for 30 minutes to get a bus over to Harbor east. Not during that time of day. And the circulator.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Frustrating at times. I will go down to the city tomorrow to ply my wares, and I have to lug my sack over past harbor east from the convention center stop. Of course the bus, or circulator is a big help. But yeah, it doesn't really stop real close to anything. A 10 minute walk is required at least. Or more. The Harbor, and Mount Vernon are very close by as most of you know. The circulator is a mess. The seats are rotten and stink. Buses have been updated and are quite nice.
One thing that irritates me with the light rail and the city is coming from up here once you get past the Mount Royal stop it looks like a war zone on Howard Street. Empty businesses, dirty, people hanging around. And they want to showcase the city this way.
There is no denying there is a large group of suburbanites who ride the rail into the city.

And what bus transfer? A day pass is $4.20. You can get on anything with it. Multiple time throughout the day up until 3 AM. Fells point is a 20 minute walk. Unless you are made of Sugar. You are not going to wait for 30 minutes to get a bus over to Harbor east. Not during that time of day. And the circulator.

I forgot about the day pass.. but still $4.20 vs $5 plus a few swallows of gas and the privacy and convenience of your own vehicle versus some of the challenges associated with some of the vehicles, schedule and sometimes other riders of our MTA transit system..It may be a fair trade off for many.. One still has to walk from most of the City garages( Fleet St, Little Italy or Fells) to anything in Harbor East of Fells.. but the walk is way more pleasant and shorter than walking over from Howard Street..

I have seem small incremental improvements on Howard Street as development SLOOOOOWLY creeps in from both the north, south, east and west..It is the hole in the donut right now along with Lexington Market...

Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I forgot about the day pass.. but still $4.20 vs $5 plus a few swallows of gas and the privacy and convenience of your own vehicle versus some of the challenges associated with some of the vehicles, schedule and sometimes other riders of our MTA transit system..It may be a fair trade off for many.. One still has to walk from most of the City garages( Fleet St, Little Italy or Fells) to anything in Harbor East of Fells.. but the walk is way more pleasant and shorter than walking over from Howard Street..

I have seem small incremental improvements on Howard Street as development SLOOOOOWLY creeps in from both the north, south, east and west..It is the hole in the donut right now along with Lexington Market...
Time is the problem with transit. People want to go, not sit and wait. But that understandable impatience comes with the excessive cost of a vehicle. Cars are a PITA!!! I loath having to own another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: