Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM

279 posts, read 593,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Stay safe- have fun- make sure the driver of the car that picks u up tells you YOUR NAME before you get into the car.
Don’t increase your Mom’s anxiety by showing her your own. Looks like you are both playing off of each other’s feelings...
Going to this concert could be a good character building, anxiety overcoming exercise
Let us know how it worked out for you
Good luck- enjoy the concert
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 PM

279 posts, read 593,297 times
Just wanted to report that I made it back safely from the concert and had zero problems. Yay!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
Just wanted to report that I made it back safely from the concert and had zero problems. Yay!

Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 AM

195 posts, read 130,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It's hard to understand your jibber jabber. Nobody is saying that any dangers happen frequently in Baltimore. The point being made is that even in tourist regions, things do happen, and you need to have your guard up and be street smart. This is true that you need to keep your guard up in most major cities, but in Baltimore, even in the downtown/touristy areas, this is the case.

Yeah, I guess people are making this up .........get outta here with that nonsense!!!!!!
Normal people don't walk around drugged up or drunk. When you engage in sordid behavior, you often attract negative attention. Just think, if he wasn't completely stoned/drunk, he wouldn't have been in that predicament.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
Normal people don't walk around drugged up or drunk. When you engage in sordid behavior, you often attract negative attention. Just think, if he wasn't completely stoned/drunk, he wouldn't have been in that predicament.
Was the family from New Jersey walking around the harbor "normal people?"

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...031-story.html

Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,961,851 times
Are these normal people Man stabbed to death near AT&T Park in San Francisco

Anything can happen anywhere.

I was down there yesterday, I survived.........

Old 05-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Was the family from New Jersey walking around the harbor "normal people?"

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...031-story.html

There are always two sides to every story. I don't know what the family did, prior to reporting the incident. I'm not condoning the incident, but perhaps the family provoked the incident by using racial slurs, or speaking in a disrespectful/ very aggressive manner.

I've never been the victim of any crime. I tend to keep a very tight social circle and when I'm out and about, I'm always fully aware of my surroundings and I try my best to treat others, as I want to be treated. Also, I'm not walking around looking for trouble.

I don't know if the family provoked the attack, but I know of instances where certain people instigate and then cry foul when they get a negative reaction.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Are these normal people Man stabbed to death near AT&T Park in San Francisco

Anything can happen anywhere.

I was down there yesterday, I survived.........
The topic is about Baltimore, not San Francisco...

But since you want to discuss the Bay Area, why didn't you highlight the following story: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/u...-stabbing.html

Old 05-03-2019, 07:38 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,961,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
The topic is about Baltimore, not San Francisco...

But since you want to discuss the Bay Area, why didn't you highlight the following story: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/u...-stabbing.html
There was another poster on here who was/is from San Francisco, That's why I posted it.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
I've never been to Cincy, but I've found downtown Baltimore to be much more seedy and scary than downtown St. Louis. That's not to say that STL is a safer overall city, but in my experience, the "downtown/tourist" areas have a less dangerous feel. You don't hear as many stories of tourists being attacked or packs of teens causing trouble "downtown" or in the "touristy" areas of STL like you do in Baltimore.

Again, overall, Baltimore and STL are similar in crime, but downtown STL feels safer, so if you stick to major tourist areas, you should have no worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aAZMuNrKTk

I think what separates Baltimore from other major cities, is that you see more rowdy teens and bad behavior in the downtown/tourist areas. The stories of tourists getting beaten up in Baltimore is why many get nervous about visiting. I've lived in Philly and now Chicago, cities that have tough neighborhoods that can put Baltimore any neighborhood in Baltimore to shame, but for the most part the downtown/touristy areas maintain a safe feel for tourists.
Having visited some of these cities recently, I think I can support personone. I just got back from a trip to St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Louisville. The streets St. Louis is strikingly more racially segregated than Baltimore and the few people hanging out on the streets tend to be white.

Though the North St. Louis ghetto is a virtual moonscape of entropy and emptiness that nothing in Baltimore can come close to matching, the rest of the city is generally in better shape than Baltimore. They seem to have pushed their problems to a place that most people never go. I didn't see drug crews taking over the corners anywhere (even in the ghetto.) The beggars in STL weren't numerous but they were really annoying since, unlike in Baltimore, they are legally allowed to try intimidate people that say no by following and yelling at them. Someone also gave me a similar hard time in downtown Indianapolis, but I had no problems in Louisville. In general, the streets of St. Louis feel safer than Baltimore's, despite an overall crime rate that is about the same.

I haven't been to downtown Philadelphia in a couple of years but I am amazed by the number of cops I see on the streets downtown. The place appears to be on lock-down, and it seems to be working. Because of staffing shortages, Baltimore police couldn't do what Philadelphia police do, even if they wanted to.

Indianapolis is surprisingly impoverished, with a lot of deteriorating housing all around the city, except for an a group of attractive and prosperous neighborhoods east of downtown. The potholed streets are even worse than Baltimore's.

The west side of Louisville is obviously very impoverished, though I didn't have time to walk around. Just like in Indianapolis, the east side if downtown is the good side (and very cool.)

Cincinnati is a very odd city... but mostly in a good way. Vacant buildings, of which there were obviously a zillion at one time, are being fixed up by the dozens. Not only that, the work tends to be top quality historic restorations (at least on the exteriors.) This investment is supported by boatloads of investment by local corporations. The corporations have floated a group know as 3C CDC with lots of money that can be lent with the expectation of high risk and low returns. Baltimore's new NIIF fund will be set up with the same type if lending standards. (Jack Young is reported to be an opponent of the program, so it might be killed soon.) Anyway, the combination of tons of investment, lots of high paying jobs, and no nonsense policing have created a virtual Disney Land city unlike anyplace I have been recently. One note of caution is that downtown/Over the Rhine has more commercial space available than it appears can be reasonably supported. There are tons of bars, restaurants, and interesting shops but none of them ever seemed to be crowded. That can only work if commercial rents are held very low (which I suspect is the case.) The area near the University of Cincinnati is also growing quickly. Anyway, the thought of groups of kids heading to downtown/Over the Rhine to cause trouble would be a non-starter. The people in charge of the city obviously won't put up with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: