Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:26 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times

Advertisements

So I'm flying to Baltimore to pickup a car with a buddy of mine. We're making a four day road trip out of it...driving the car home to New Mexico after pickup.
Getting a 2000 Porsche Boxster, soft top convertible, in great shape, all records good, worth the risk for the drive cross country.
Asked the seller (who lives in the city) where to go for the best crab cakes in town, he said Faidley Seafood and Lexington Market. I know Baltimore fairly well but forgot all about the Market....I've always wanted to go. He said watch out for the neighborhood though.
What I want to do is pick up the car near Johns Hopkins at his house and go to Lexington Market and do crab cakes and get some road trip travel munchies then hit the road.
Lived in city neighborhoods all my life, I'm always careful and never scared, but I've also never had a soft top Porsche before. Is there anything resembling secured parking? Will I be ok or is this a big stupid risk for crab cakes and a market I've always wanted to see? I figure we'll be there an hour, two hours tops.
We'll be there early this Saturday morning, Memorial Day weekend. I'm also thinking a big holiday Saturday crowd will be a plus for this situation.
Thanks all....

Last edited by kpl1228; 05-20-2019 at 02:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post

What I want to do is pick up the car near Johns Hopkins at his house and (then) go to Lexington Market ...
Backwards.

Take the Light Rail from the Airport into town...
do the crabs thing at the market. THEN head to Hopkins.
Leave the crabs out of the nice car.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:30 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Backwards.

Take the Light Rail from the Airport into town...
do the crabs thing at the market. THEN head to Hopkins.
Leave the crabs out of the nice car.

Good idea depending on just how much luggage (and purchases) they'll be toting through Lexington Market.

If you want to get the car first, the garage directly across Paca Street from the market is probably OK for a brief trip to grab crab cakes (try a soft crab if you've never had one) and other treats. Fresh roasted peanuts from the vendor on the Eutaw Street side of the market are great. Utz potato chips, Berger cookies, fresh-ground horseradish and coconut are other Lexington Market favorites. If you're going to take perishables with you, pick up a cooler and ice on your way to the market. Faidley's will package purchases for you.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Interesting, a guy has been trying to sell a Boxster out here in the burbs. Newer though, 09 I think.........

Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Good idea depending on just how much luggage (and purchases) they'll be toting through Lexington Market.

If you want to get the car first, the garage directly across Paca Street from the market is probably OK for a brief trip to grab crab cakes (try a soft crab if you've never had one) and other treats. Fresh roasted peanuts from the vendor on the Eutaw Street side of the market are great. Utz potato chips, Berger cookies, fresh-ground horseradish and coconut are other Lexington Market favorites. If you're going to take perishables with you, pick up a cooler and ice on your way to the market. Faidley's will package purchases for you.
Nothing perishable. Eating crab cakes there.
But yeah, luggage for sure, and after train to Johns Hopkins area. So the car first, not the preference but it is what it is. Redeye flight arriving BWI at 6 a.m.-ish...and we'll be picking up the car at 8 am (at the latest) and need to wait for Faidley's to open....which is not till 1030 am. We'll go somewhere in the meantime. Probably somewhere for the toiletries we aren't packing from the flight.
GREAT tips for vendors....THANK YOU. We will use these! So now maybe I AM buying a cooler.....

Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Since you must get the car first, how about a light breakfast, and then a crab cake lunch that doesn't involve Lexington Market? In addition to Faidleys, there are plenty of places in the Baltimore area that have excellent crab cakes. Try Pappas, with three locations, or G & M. Both have carry out and dining rooms open on Saturday where you can have a sit down lunch on your way out of the city. Your car will also be much safer.

https://pappascrabcakes.com

https://gandmcrabcakes.com

Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
While there certainly other places to go for crab cakes or soft crabs other than Faidley's (My suggestion would be Snyder's Willow Grove in Linthicum.), I think Lexington Market is interesting enough to make it worth while to go there, particularly if you want to load up on local treats. Getting there fairly early is a good idea.

If you have to kill some time between picking up the car and going to Faidley's and would like to just relax for a little while, may I suggest a ride over to Cylburn Arboretum. Very quiet and less-visited than the other City parks. I think that it's one of the few urban patches of old-growth forest on the East Coast.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:17 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Faidleys are good but I’d just as soon go to Pappas. Consistently good and no worries about the soft top.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Porshe convertibles are usually money pits.
Good luck though.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Faidleys are good but I’d just as soon go to Pappas. Consistently good and no worries about the soft top.
I can walk to Pappas out here. Everybody goes nuts for their crabs.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore