Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 06:41 AM

562 posts, read 464,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Then how come I never see crowds of inpoverished whites swarming through downtown, fighting with each other, jumping on cars, and smashing windows? There is something unique, and uniquely toxic, at the point where black culture and the culture of poverty intersect.
Impoverished whites tend to live in rural locations, not in cities. Also, the media rarely focuses on white poverty. The opposite is true however for black poverty. The media tends to push low income/impoverished poverty culture to blacks via music and entertainment, so much so, that people have come to equate poverty solely with black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It is a sad reality. In Chicago, Hispanics and Blacks are roughly the same percent of the population, approximately 30% each (slightly more Hispanics) and they live in similar socioeconomic neighborhoods, yet over 80% of violent crime is committed by Blacks. So it's not strictly a "poverty" issue. There is more to it.

My theory is that it is, in part, related to family structure/involvement. When I take the train in Chicago, many times you see groups of unsupervised black teens being loud and acting up. You rarely see Hispanic teens unsupervised like that. You even see some adult blacks acting up on the train. The family structure in Latino culture tends to be tighter, with parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, and even neighbors keeping their kids in check. So when they age, they are more well-behaved and socialized adults as well.

Although one poster in another thread mentioned that why you may see this phenomenon as it relates to poverty, is that blacks' poverty goes back much longer (to slavery). It has been compounded over many more decades, so its effects are greater. Hispanics and other groups living in similar conditions are still relatively "new," so they are not as impacted.
The majority of people from Latin America and Mexico did not enter the U.S. via work visas or with high levels of education. Many came illegally to the U.S., in the hopes of fleeing the rampant violence and drugs in their home countries.

But many bring the same violence in their homes countries to America. L.A., for example, has a lot of Latino gangs that are very violent and have contributed to lots of blood shed throughout that city.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I'm black... I just really don't agree with what you're saying. Stats will show you of all crimes committed blck people are most prone In comparison to othher groups to use a gun or commit armed robbery. Less likely to rape, drugs, stab, or fraud. Also the video you showed is an example of black culture that exist in Baltimore- ever heard of Copiib State and Morgan State or hell how about UMBC?

Black culture undoubtedly is more matriachal and (especially in the south) more socially conservative than white culture of you can't get on board with that- it's a non starter.

Poor black culture is you her by definition due to older folks being incarcerated dead or OK drugs. There are also more kids per household and much money is made in a drug economy which is dominated by sub 40 folks.

I double majored in sociology and urban science with a minor in Africana studies so id like to think I'm not just shooting off at the mouth.
When you look at the marriage rates, it's non existent for most impoverished black males. Is there any wonder why, so many impoverished black children are born and reared in single mother households?

By the way, I don't believe poverty simply stems from incarceration and drug use. Even if low income people weren't incarcerated, they would still be impoverished. One's family wealth is really what usually determines the child's future economic mobility.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
When you look at the marriage rates, it's non existent for most impoverished black males. Is there any wonder why, so many impoverished black children are born and reared in single mother households?

By the way, I don't believe poverty simply stems from incarceration and drug use. Even if low income people weren't incarcerated, they would still be impoverished. One's family wealth is really what usually determines the child's future economic mobility.
You're correct about both points here, no argument from me.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Impoverished whites tend to live in rural locations, not in cities. Also, the media rarely focuses on white poverty. The opposite is true however for black poverty. The media tends to push low income/impoverished poverty culture to blacks via music and entertainment, so much so, that people have come to equate poverty solely with black people.
I see many poor whites in South west baltimore from Pigtown on down especially along and south of Wilke 's Avenue and down into Morrell Park. To be quite honest they are too scared to commit serious crimes against poor blacks people. Athough they definitely still do petty crime like shoplifting, domestic violence, larceny and have higher rates of drug abuse.

Most criminologists will say this is because they lack the gangs structure behind poor whites to protect them and are outnumbered by poor blacks in their area, same for Hispanics in cities they are outnumbered by blacks- generally speaking, engaging in crime against blacks in the inner city is a no win situation.

It wasn't always this way when mobs and mafia were stronger but they faded and weren't as widespread as black criminal organizations who could tap into networks in every single city in the country. The sheer quick and unpredictable violence used by blacks differed from the targeted and predictable violence of mobs and mafia. As a result, mobs and mafia had to stay away from blacks because it creates too much media and police attention and is/was too ugly and unpredictable. As blacks took office and grew in overall number it created less space for the mafia and the mob to work in. Also mob and mafia bosses usually had kids who got fairly well educated or were able to use a combination of education, white privilege and familial wealth to get out of the criminal life-by the 1990s a white street gang would know they had no chance against black street gangs.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:18 AM

I really respect Mellody Hobson, who is the President of Ariel Investments. She was raised by a single mom, on the South Side of Chicago. Mellody observed the lifestyles of the low income people in her community and decided early on that she didn't want to follow suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hb6sJquLAs

She studied, worked hard and earned a full ride to Princeton University. After Princeton, she joined an investment start up - Ariel Capital, and worked her way up the ranks to become President. I should add that the start-up's founder -John Rogers is a black American man (from an elite black American Chicago based family). He is also a Princeton grad.

Currently, Ariel manages over 12 billion in assets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYImHeH1I0U

Mellody waited until marrying her Mr. Right (George Lucas - a multi billionaire), well into her 40s, before having her first child.

Why is it that John and Mellody, are rarely included during these discussions on "black culture." The reason being is, people have been programmed via the media to view black American people through a very narrow lens of poverty, crime and violence. It's in all of the "entertainment" and heavily glamorized by puppet rappers/actors, etc.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I see many poor whites in South west baltimore from Pigtown on down especially along and south of Wilke 's Avenue and down into Morrell Park. To be quite honest they are too scared to commit serious crimes against poor blacks people. Athough they definitely still do petty crime like shoplifting, domestic violence, larceny and have higher rates of drug abuse.
Yes, there are poor whites throughout the country, but my point was, the majority of very impoverished/dirt poor whites tend to live in rural locations, not in major and mid-tier cities.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I really respect Mellody Hobson, who is the President of Ariel Investments. She was raised by a single mom, on the South Side of Chicago. Mellody observed the lifestyles of the low income people in her community and decided early on that she didn't want to follow suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hb6sJquLAs

She studied, worked hard and earned a full ride to Princeton University. After Princeton, she joined an investment start up - Ariel Capital, and worked her way up the ranks to become President. I should add that the start-up's founder -John Rogers is a black American man (from an elite black American Chicago based family). He is also a Princeton grad.

Currently, Ariel manages over 12 billion in assets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYImHeH1I0U

Mellody waited until marrying her Mr. Right (George Lucas - a multi billionaire), well into her 40s, before having her first child.

Why is it that John and Mellody, are rarely included during these discussions on "black culture." The reason being is, people have been programmed via the media to view black American people through a very narrow lens of poverty, crime and violence. It's in all of the "entertainment" and heavily glamorized by puppet rappers/actors, etc.
Because this is like 1-2% of balck culture. It's not really enough to call it black culture. That take a high degree of exceptional is I'm, intelligence and quite frankly luck. That's unfortunate but true.

You're also highlighting black people from Chicago. There is a problem in black culture of us funnelling resources and only finding success in 8-12 cities in the US. Blaxk folks from places like Milwaukee Hartford Youngstown Kansas City Las Vegas Phoenix Boston Louisville Memphis Portland (and to a lesser extent Baltimore) etc., simply dont get the attention, opportunity and resources from the most wuscxusefdul black communities. They don't get the same shot as black people living in Philly NYC OAK CHI LA ATL HOU DC DAL. THat is A REAL PROBLEM. Speaking as a balck person from Boston who went to school in Hartford. Black folks minimalize the contributions and connections to places deemed unworthy, not only socially but economically. And it hurts us as a people, dearly. Major business outside of the black community usually only look to hose handful of places when looking to invest in the ack community and believe it or not most black people don't like in those 10 cities. They live in the Milwaukee and Grand Rapids and Stockton and New Havens of the world..

Old 06-02-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Because this is like 1-2% of balck culture. It's not really enough to call it black culture. That take a high degree of exceptional is I'm, intelligence and quite frankly luck. That's unfortunate but true.
There has been a concerted effort to down play black achievement, while uplifting black failure and poverty culture.

Most black Americans reside in the South, not in the Midwest, New England or the Northeast. I mentioned Mellody Hobson and John Lewis, only because I get frustrated when people talk about "black culture," without mentioning those who are really contributing to black economics and culture.

Robert Smith (a multi-billionaire tech investor) who grew up in Colorado (is from an established highly educated black American family). Sadly, many people (outside of Tech) had never heard of him, until he attended the Morehouse graduation and agreed to pay off the student loans for the 2019 all male graduating class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACUHQQD5nko

There must be more glorification of those who are achieving in business, science and tech and less focus on low brow entertainers who push poverty culture onto black Americans.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
The majority of people from Latin America and Mexico did not enter the U.S. via work visas or with high levels of education. Many came illegally to the U.S., in the hopes of fleeing the rampant violence and drugs in their home countries.

But many bring the same violence in their homes countries to America. L.A., for example, has a lot of Latino gangs that are very violent and have contributed to lots of blood shed throughout that city.
I agree with you to an extent. The Latino gangs in LA are very violent, and I have heard that blacks are specifically targeted by them. But in Chicago there are a lot of Latino gangs too. Latin Kings is headquartered in Chicago, yet it is much more organized and less random violence like you see with black gangs. Which is why the vast majority of violent crime is still committed by blacks (at least here in Chicago). In LA, it is likely different since blacks make up such as small percentage of the population, and Hispanics are such a large percentage. In Chicago, they are close to equal in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore