Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

Is someone is coming to Hopkins for a medical visit - what do they need to know about the area and what is a good hotel to stay at in a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 06:49 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Check this site out. Be careful, there are some very shady areas around Johns Hopkins.

https://www.brookshiresuites.com/joh...SAAEgJfOPD_BwE

Old 07-28-2019, 07:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
When someone is coming to Hopkins for a medical visit -
I'd suggest you start with what Hopkins advises and has already coordinated for that.

If you're the sort who needs to cut your own trail...
it starts with how many motel nights you expect to need and how much you're willing to pay for that.
Commuting between that H/motel and the Medical campus (taxi Uber etc) isn't complicated.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Residence Inn by Marriott Baltimore at The Johns Hopkins Medical Campus

Old 07-28-2019, 11:36 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:27 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Residence Inn by Marriott Baltimore at The Johns Hopkins Medical Campus
The above is a very good suggestion and is your best bet. It is a new hotel, just opened within the past year, and is right in the center of the campus so you can walk to your appointments. If you were to stay at a hotel in downtown Baltimore, or any other area, you would have to Uber/taxi over to the medical campus.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:40 PM

439 posts, read 425,015 times
Check to see if your doctor has other offices outside of the city. Quite a few have branched out to county offices especially Wilmer.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:04 PM

675 posts, read 723,002 times
Why is so difficult to tell someone from out of town where a safe place to stay is. All of baltimore is unsafe and the politicians just talk a good game.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:25 AM

390 posts, read 505,864 times
Everybody's welcomed at Johns Hopkins....except Ben Carson

Old 08-02-2019, 04:00 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Is someone is coming to Hopkins for a medical visit - what do they need to know about the area and what is a good hotel to stay at in a safe area?
I visit JH regularly and often make an overnight trip out of it. Multiple hotels offer a special rate for JH patients along with travel arrangements to reach the hospital. Not all of them mention the JH special on their website. I found that it is best to call the hotel directly (not the nationwide 800 numbers) and ask if they offer it.

I usually stay near the Inner Harbor or Fells Point. Those areas are fine if you exercise common sense street smarts like not walking in deserted areas after dark, avoid groups of agitated teens, etc.

Among my favorites is the Days Inn on Pratt Street, which is one of the cheaper options near the Inner Harbor. It's been a couple years since I stayed there but they use to offer a discount for JH and taxi vouchers. Probably still do.

Lately I've been staying at the Admiral Fell Inn which is quaint and historic and supposedly haunted. They offer shuttle service to JH. They also have free passes and shuttle service to the enormous Maryland Athletic Center, a favorite of mine because of its multiple large salt water pools. Fells Point can get rowdy on weekends though, as there are lots of restaurants and bars.

I've stayed at other hotels around Baltimore but those areas are not as safe. I've also stayed in the Baltimore suburbs and taken the Light Rail into Baltimore. You have to change over to the subway though to reach JH. Suburban hotels are cheaper and safer but not as fun as downtown Baltimore. The suburban hotels offer free parking and parking is free in the JH parking garage if you pick up a parking voucher from the hospital. The downtown hotels charge for parking and it is very expensive.

A first timer to Baltimore is probably best off taking a previous poster's suggestion and staying at the Residence Inn on the JH campus. The free Charm City Circulator bus (green route) goes down to Harbor East. There you can pick up another bus to go to the tourist attractions at the Inner Harbor.

Last edited by ersatz; 08-02-2019 at 04:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: