Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,816 times

Advertisements

So I just accepted a position at JHH and plan on moving to Baltimore in a month. I'm originally from NYC and have lived in DC before so I enjoy city living. However, Baltimore has a reputation that (I'm sure) unfairly portrays it in a negative light. Like all cities, I'm sure it has both it's good and bad. My problem is I don't know anyone there to vouch for a particular neighborhood.

Based on the research I've done and some acquaintances that have distant ties to Baltimore, I've gathered that Fells Point, Federal Hill (or parts of it) and possibly Canton are safe neighborhoods or at least safer than others. I wondered about Inner Harbor but that idea was shot down by an acquaintance who has family in MD and stated that Inner Harbor wasn't the safest place for a single woman. I'd like more opinions on this though from people that actually live there and the previous questions on this topic are dated, to the point where I'm sure Baltimore has changed since then.

I'm looking for a well maintained neighborhood (including upscale) where it's safe enough to walk around at night and come home to at night (in a car) as well as during the daytime to shop and eat out (not really into the bar scene though). I have middle age parents that would often visit and I'd want a neighborhood where it would be safe for them to take their nighttime strolls. My budget for an apartment would be up to around $1800. I'll compromise on parking since I'm aiming for a building with indoor parking for its residents.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,767,813 times
Harbor East: https://www.harboreast.com/

Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 PM

14 posts, read 9,098 times
Canton or Federal Hill would probably be your best choices, though Federal Hill might deteriorate over the next several years. It would be more trouble than it’s worth to live in Inner Harbor and the other neighborhoods are very close by anyway.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,930,470 times
A lot of options in the city, or just out of the city. I don't know if these places would work but you have Mount Vernon which is close by Hopkins, that's where the Washington Monument is, Mount Washington, and Roland Park is really nice. Hampden is another place that has become trendy, and Roland Avenue leads to Roland Park through Hampden. Charles Street, parts of it are very, very nice.

The Northern Corridor coming out of the city, and further north is nice. (There are commercial zones in the burbs, so don't judge those areas by sprawl, but I doubt you are going that far north.)

It all depends, a more suburban feel, or a downtown feel.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This looks awesome! I can't wait to check it out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rizzo View Post
Canton or Federal Hill would probably be your best choices, though Federal Hill might deteriorate over the next several years. It would be more trouble than it’s worth to live in Inner Harbor and the other neighborhoods are very close by anyway.
Thank you! I've actually heard that even nice neighborhoods in Baltimore, like Federal Hill, have some of their own shady areas. I've also been told that there can be vast differences in neighborhoods there that are only a few blocks apart. Based on your words I guess that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
A lot of options in the city, or just out of the city. I don't know if these places would work but you have Mount Vernon which is close by Hopkins, that's where the Washington Monument is, Mount Washington, and Roland Park is really nice. Hampden is another place that has become trendy, and Roland Avenue leads to Roland Park through Hampden. Charles Street, parts of it are very, very nice.

The Northern Corridor coming out of the city, and further north is nice. (There are commercial zones in the burbs, so don't judge those areas by sprawl, but I doubt you are going that far north.)

It all depends, a more suburban feel, or a downtown feel.
Thank you for responding. I actually haven't heard too many good things about Mount Vernon where it moreso seems like it's hit-or-miss. Roland Park I have heard good things about so I might check that out too. Never heard of Hampden so thank you again for letting me know.

I'm looking for more of a downtown feel since I've somewhat been in the burbs for the last two years and miss living in the city.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,074,796 times
There are no safe places like DC in Baltimore. You are comparing apples to pits.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Anywhere in the city below 36th Street can be hit or miss. Canton, or Harbor East (New High Rises Everywhere).
I have never been that impressed with Fells point. Thames Street, to many bars. Upper Fells is to close to the hood.

Roland park is going to be much more Suburban, as will Charles Street, but they really are the nicest parts of the city.

With Baltimore it's North, and with the burbs it's North, and North West. Greenspring Valley. None of those places will have a down town feel. But they will be the nicest parts of the area. And the safest.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:26 PM

146 posts, read 172,345 times
I don't think any of the areas you mentioned are necessarily dangerous, but for a single woman they could sometimes be dicey. I would guess the inner harbor might be safer, lots of people around, especially if you are in a buidling with interior parking. Charles Village is near John Hopkins main campus which, last I heard, has a free shuttle to the hospital. You might want to check that out. Generally speaking, the further north you go the safer it is, but, alas, the longer your commute. There is light rail, but it can be clunky to get the JHH (though not impossible, you can take light rail to one of the world's wierder subways--becasue of the way it is situated-- and take the subway to the hospital). Some years ago when I was on temporary assignment, I rented my house to a JHH researcher. I was way north in Baltimore County, 15 minutes north of Towson. The researcher tried to get by with light rail and finally gave up and bought a car, partly because he found the light rail up by us too unreliable. I have talked to some people who live in the city who say there is it reliable. Under no circumstances leave in the immediate JHH vicinity.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:17 PM

Way north, above Monkton? I would rather live in Monkton then anywhere in Baltimore.

Of course you weren't 15 minutes north of Towson if the Light Rail was up by you. I can cycle form Fairmount Avenue to Timonium Road in 15 Minutes. Do it all the time. And walk to the Light Rail in a half an hour. Either the Fairgrounds Stop, or the Warren Road Stop from lower Cranbrook Road.

They were doing a lot of track expansion in the late 00's and the rail was not running up to the Lutherville Light Rail Stop and beyond. Bus Bridges. This went on for a few years. Caused a lot of headaches for people.

That might have been his experience. And they had trouble with burst pipes by the convention center which created bus bridges this past summer.

The train is usually very reliable.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Anywhere in the city below 36th Street can be hit or miss. Canton, or Harbor East (New High Rises Everywhere).
I have never been that impressed with Fells point. Thames Street, to many bars. Upper Fells is to close to the hood.

Roland park is going to be much more Suburban, as will Charles Street, but they really are the nicest parts of the city.

With Baltimore it's North, and with the burbs it's North, and North West. Greenspring Valley. None of those places will have a down town feel. But they will be the nicest parts of the area. And the safest.
Okay so it seems like Canton and Harbor East are getting approval from many of you as being amongst the safest neighborhoods. I'm not sure which parts of Charles Street are the good ones as you stated "parts of it are very very nice". Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
I don't think any of the areas you mentioned are necessarily dangerous, but for a single woman they could sometimes be dicey. I would guess the inner harbor might be safer, lots of people around, especially if you are in a buidling with interior parking. Charles Village is near John Hopkins main campus which, last I heard, has a free shuttle to the hospital. You might want to check that out. Generally speaking, the further north you go the safer it is, but, alas, the longer your commute. There is light rail, but it can be clunky to get the JHH (though not impossible, you can take light rail to one of the world's wierder subways--becasue of the way it is situated-- and take the subway to the hospital). Some years ago when I was on temporary assignment, I rented my house to a JHH researcher. I was way north in Baltimore County, 15 minutes north of Towson. The researcher tried to get by with light rail and finally gave up and bought a car, partly because he found the light rail up by us too unreliable. I have talked to some people who live in the city who say there is it reliable. Under no circumstances leave in the immediate JHH vicinity.
I don't mind a commute of up to half an hour. Thank you for letting me know about the free shuttle. I do remember hearing about it but I'll check out the shuttle path. Towson seems like it's worth checking out. Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: