Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,485 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Baltimore from Atlanta as I got a job in Johns Hopkins hospital, Downtown Baltimore, I have no car so I have rely on public commute. I have a kid who goes to elementary school. As I have no idea of Baltimore, Could you suggest best places to live so that I have a reasonable public commute to JHH as well as can admit my kid in best school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times
please check at Maryland Transit Administration Home Page
to check with light rails, bus routes or subway.

Metro runs from Owing mills to JHU, while light rail runs from Hunt Valley down to Glen Burnie which is North to South..bus route is everywhere. Bus route has commuter or express which is faster also the normal one. Check with the routes.

If you want to live in the city, Patterson Park, Canton, Highland Town, or maybe Mount Vernon might be your choice

THere are plenty of option to live in the county. It really depends what's yr budget? Baltimore County School is ok. City school is really hit or miss but private school in the city is decent. Howard county school is good. Then again, whatever school your kid goes to..really depends on him/her if she/he wants to work hard..

I cant help you on the school part yet because my kid is still too young.

Anyway, welcome to MD! Hope you like your stay here. Enjoy!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,485 times
Default kids education is first priority

My kid's education is first priority. So I need to find an apartment near the school and commute to downtown using public commute. I don't mind commuting 40-60 min to work everyday at the expense of my kid's education. I would appreciate if any of you can point me in the direction to the area of best elementary schools as well as good public commute. I can afford about $700-900 per month for an apartment. Please help me.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 PM

689 posts, read 3,216,159 times
Actually, if you want a good elementary school, you might want to consider my neighborhood. Our local school (George Washington Elementary) is a Blue Ribbon school and is considered one of the best in the city, along with Roland Park and Federal Hill Elementary. I live in Pigtown, and I also have no car.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 AM

22 posts, read 110,307 times
Buy a car... It isn't worth the hassle, especially if you have a kid. There are a lot of shady neighborhoods around Johns Hopkins Hospital.

You can get by without a car in Baltimore, but it isn't easy. I don't know how I'd manage it with a kid. The public transportation north-south is pretty good, but east-west is more of a problem minus the Metro...

If you want a great school, you are going to have to live in some of the more suburban areas of the city - where public transportation to and from Johns Hopkins would be more of a hassle. Federal Hill could be a possibility, but again I'm not sure about how great the east-west transportation is.

P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore