Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 06:12 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,953,570 times

Advertisements

What matters is that this shouldn't be putting off the more affluent, since most of these murders are for the lower middle class and poorer. I highly recommend this tool by the Sun in terms of location, race, and type of homicide involved. You'll see that for 2019, with the exception of one murder in June, the entire peninsula and southern half of downtown, as well as east of the harbor from Eastern Avenue and South has been murder-free, including Canton. That one murder marked in Charles Center actually dates back to a 2000 shooting, and except for a couple stabbings on Eutaw Street in the shady NW part of downtown, the CBD remains a fairly safe place to venture for those who have good street smarts. Roland Park, Guilford and Hampden are also homicide-free. Sadly, most of the murder victims are nonwhite men. That one murder in September on St. Paul near North Ave. was truly an anomaly (a white female was killed). Basically, stay out of the ring/game/hood and your odds of being a homicide victim are about as likely as the Orioles playing in the World Series next year.

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun....stitial-manual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 12:52 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,219 times
I don't know why it's so hard to get the homicides and other crime under control. It's been done in other cities. What is it that the powers that be in Baltimore want to accomplish? Or don't want to accomplish.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:45 PM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85;56681114[B
]What matters is that this shouldn't be putting off the more affluent, since most of these murders are for the lower middle class and poorer.[/b] I highly recommend this tool by the Sun in terms of location, race, and type of homicide involved. You'll see that for 2019, with the exception of one murder in June, the entire peninsula and southern half of downtown, as well as east of the harbor from Eastern Avenue and South has been murder-free, including Canton. That one murder marked in Charles Center actually dates back to a 2000 shooting, and except for a couple stabbings on Eutaw Street in the shady NW part of downtown, the CBD remains a fairly safe place to venture for those who have good street smarts. Roland Park, Guilford and Hampden are also homicide-free. Sadly, most of the murder victims are nonwhite men. That one murder in September on St. Paul near North Ave. was truly an anomaly (a white female was killed). Basically, stay out of the ring/game/hood and your odds of being a homicide victim are about as likely as the Orioles playing in the World Series next year.

Follow the rules and have the money to buy into the best neighborhoods, and yes, your life in Baltimore will be quite good. This takes time and experience with the city to learn though (and money,) and the penalty for venturing into situations with undeniably violent people and undeniably dangerous neighborhoods is pretty severe. People tend to be risk adverse in this manner unless there is a BIG draw to make them come in.

That is where leadership can move the needle. I am no O'Malley fan, but he was a visible and positive presence that brought national attention to Baltimore for something other than dysfunction. He was also a person who promoted what was good about the city, while being clear that crime was not going to be tolerated and tried to do something about it. Post-Freddie Gray this was seen as a black mark on his record by some.

Think about the leaders since then. Have any been competent, let alone a positive force in promoting the city? You all want to take the troll bait and make this a GOP vs. DEM issue. The deeper issue is how to get leaders who don't end up being indited in criminal court, aren't seen as promoting rioting, aren't caught getting kick-backs in the form of Healthy Holly book sales. That's 12 years of clown show leadership. I hope this new guy is an improvement. Baltimore deserves better, you guys and the other citizens deserve better.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-20-2019 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-20-2019, 04:54 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
What matters is that this shouldn't be putting off the more affluent, since most of these murders are for the lower middle class and poorer. I highly recommend this tool by the Sun in terms of location, race, and type of homicide involved. You'll see that for 2019, with the exception of one murder in June, the entire peninsula and southern half of downtown, as well as east of the harbor from Eastern Avenue and South has been murder-free, including Canton. That one murder marked in Charles Center actually dates back to a 2000 shooting, and except for a couple stabbings on Eutaw Street in the shady NW part of downtown, the CBD remains a fairly safe place to venture for those who have good street smarts. Roland Park, Guilford and Hampden are also homicide-free. Sadly, most of the murder victims are nonwhite men. That one murder in September on St. Paul near North Ave. was truly an anomaly (a white female was killed). Basically, stay out of the ring/game/hood and your odds of being a homicide victim are about as likely as the Orioles playing in the World Series next year.

Wrong. I'm affluent and it's putting me off. I'm not the only one judging by the increase in the number of "for sale" signs here in federal hill.

We've had at least 2 murders in federal hill in the past 2 years and countless home invasions, assaults, and carjackings. So you can try and put lipstick on the pig if you want, but sane people who live here know better. Sadly, the progressives who make up the voting majority here in Baltimore are anything but sane, so it will never get any better.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:50 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,657,226 times
Default Boredarwork

#1 thing about Baltimore crime is TIMESERVED. Justice for murder in Baltimore is dealt with by 3 years time served and probation. That's the first thing I noticed when I lived in Baltimore.

Even though DC is a federal district it used to have over 600 homicides between DC and Pg county alone. Now the entire DC metro is less than Baltimore city why...PG police dont play and will kill you in a heartbeat, VA will throw the book at you and DC sends all felons to federal penitentiaries not state jail.

Baltimore is so loose on crime is bc the judicial system is a complete joke.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Follow the rules and have the money to buy into the best neighborhoods, and yes, your life in Baltimore will be quite good. This takes time and experience with the city to learn though (and money,) and the penalty for venturing into situations with undeniably violent people and undeniably dangerous neighborhoods is pretty severe. People tend to be risk adverse in this manner unless there is a BIG draw to make them come in.

That is where leadership can move the needle. I am no O'Malley fan, but he was a visible and positive presence that brought national attention to Baltimore for something other than dysfunction. He was also a person who promoted what was good about the city, while being clear that crime was not going to be tolerated and tried to do something about it. Post-Freddie Gray this was seen as a black mark on his record by some.

Think about the leaders since then. Have any been competent, let alone a positive force in promoting the city? You all want to take the troll bait and make this a GOP vs. DEM issue. The deeper issue is how to get leaders who don't end up being indited in criminal court, aren't seen as promoting rioting, aren't caught getting kick-backs in the form of Healthy Holly book sales. That's 12 years of clown show leadership. I hope this new guy is an improvement. Baltimore deserves better, you guys and the other citizens deserve better.

I moved to Baltimore in the later have of Omalley's term and looking back can agree with what you are saying... Sheila Dixon COULD have been one of the better Mayors had she not did the gift card thing. She had a good team around her most notably Otis Rolley who was the Planning Director under Omalley and was to be her chief of staff.. He was solid on planning and neighborhood development and as Chief of Staff could have recruited like minded individuals and talented staff to City Hall. All that went out the window and he promptly resigned when news started to break of Mayor Dixons actions.. She was also well liked by residents.. known to go out in a Shafer like manner and look at neighborhood issues and ride with city crews. I believe she started the cleaner greener Baltimore campaign and moved towards recycling as opposed to two day a week trash pick up.. Bonded a bunch of funds to pay for street paving and the Zoning Rewrite and I believe Port Covington Plan and Harbor East were launched/ developed under her tenure though they were finalized/completed and funded under SRB and later Pugh.. But clearly she laid the ground work. She also got rid of Commissioner Hamm and promoted Bealfield who had the respect of the rank and file and also got out in the trenches to walk the streets and even make arrest... He left/replaced early in the SRB administration....

SRB also could have had an even better track record.. Young smart progressive.. she tried to bring a positive spotlight to the city with the Grand Prix, as ill conceived as it may have been, but her sights shifted to national politics and being a visitor on national TV and had some friends/advisors that wanted her to go national and take her with them.. This is all well and good.. BUT.. she needed to make sure the City was on solid footing first and should have dedicated a term or two to doing just that..The City wasn't of firm footing.. Freddie Gray.. happened and unlike Dixon who was viewed as a "woman of the people" she couldn't even get neighborhood leaders to stand with her at Pennsy and North to quell the unrest... Instead there was Pugh and Cummings.. and the rest his history... on to the present.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:27 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

12 years?? Nah. This city has been a corrupt clown show since Schmoke the Joke took office in 1987.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
I don't know why it's so hard to get the homicides and other crime under control. It's been done in other cities. What is it that the powers that be in Baltimore want to accomplish? Or don't want to accomplish.
Maybe there is a COMMON thread in many of the areas around the country that suffer with high Homicide rates. I wonder what those commonalities could be? Your guesses. I will post my later.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:16 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
[quote=Maintainschaos;5667906...not that they don’t lead some of the most violent states in America, too.

Christ on a cracker of cognitive dissonance.[/QUOTE]

And just what are a few of these VIOLENT states with predominantly led Republicans in charge?

Also SOME cities in a few states have extremely high crime rates but just a few miles out of the city limits the crime rates are much lower. Is that the fault of the STATE's officials or maybe the cities leaders? Oftentimes the PARTY that controls the State offices is not controlling cities in the state.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:26 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
And just what are a few of these VIOLENT states with predominantly led Republicans in charge?

Also SOME cities in a few states have extremely high crime rates but just a few miles out of the city limits the crime rates are much lower. Is that the fault of the STATE's officials or maybe the cities leaders? Oftentimes the PARTY that controls the State offices is not controlling cities in the state.
There was a whole list of them already linked in this thread including how the balance of power in those states is polarized towards the conservative party, but my guess is you didn’t bother to read those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore