Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 03:13 PM

11,365 posts, read 9,278,159 times

Advertisements

I live in the area of 29th and N. Calvert Street. It is heavily patrolled by Johns Hopkins University security team which is a short walk from here. Lots of trendy shops, a great grocery store called "Eddies" and a terrific Indian restaurant which are both on St. Paul Street between 31st and 32nd Street. It's a 3 minute walk from here.

I have my own basement apartment and I'm paying $500.00 per month including utilities. It's small but it's mine without housemates. I see women walking by themselves often, many walking their dogs. It's a great neighborhood and I feel very safe here, especially with the security which in my opinion is a bit of an overkill. Not complaining about that, LOL. I see a lot of for rent signs in this neighborhood.

Parking is $20.00 per year. Up this way in Charles Village and the neighboring Mt. Vernon you will need it. If you are never home during the week then that won't be a problem. There are some side streets when one can park without the pass too. City buses run up and down both St. Paul and Charles St from and to downtown so that may be an option for you. I've ridden a few times without problems.

I'd forget DC. That commute may burn you out and fast. It will take a lot out of you, guaranteed.

Best wishes and do be careful when choosing the area in which to live.

One thing I hate is getting approached by strangers for money. This happens when I go downtown. I ignore the "excuse me" every time.
Google "squeegee kids, Baltimore" and do your best to avoid them as well. Not saying all but they can be bad news.

Last edited by John13; 12-22-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 06:06 PM

17,616 posts, read 6,898,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Just a couple of points:

1) In our neighborhood in S. Baltimore, we walk outside (including with our dog) just fine without problems basically all times of the day and night. Well, maybe not 2 am, but that's because we're sleeping.

2) $1400-$1600 around here could get you a full row home, probably with a parking pad, and then on-street parking (you may need a permit depending on the location) (see, e.g.: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...36540384_zpid/ ). If you're willing to share/rent part of a row home or an apartment, you are looking at much less per month (~$800 in many cases). The type of building you are looking at with on-site parking and security seems more like the condo or luxury apartment type than a typical apartment.

3) Baltimore is unequivocally less expensive than most of the cities in the NE corridor, and I'd wager to bet it's less expensive than Miami as well. The violence also has nothing to do with rent or cost--the most violent parts of the city often correlate with low rent, as they aren't particularly desirable in many cases.

There are lots of options in/around the city without a 1 hour commute.
Everything in this post is basically untrue except the last sentence. I've lived in Baltimore City for 22 years and I'm thankfully moving out next month OP. I wish you good luck here, but please don't trust Pollyanna posts like the one I'm quoting. You'll end up mugged or assaulted or worse.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:52 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Everything in this post is basically untrue except the last sentence. I've lived in Baltimore City for 22 years and I'm thankfully moving out next month OP. I wish you good luck here, but please don't trust Pollyanna posts like the one I'm quoting. You'll end up mugged or assaulted or worse.
^^ troll #2 comes out of the woodwork telling people who live here “you don’t live how you live where you live in the city. It is impossible because I say so. Your experiences don’t matter.”

God this forum has some insufferable nitwits.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
^^ troll #2 comes out of the woodwork telling people who live here “you don’t live how you live where you live in the city. It is impossible because I say so. Your experiences don’t matter.”

I’ve lived in Baltimore longer than you’ve been post-pubescent. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:

I’ve lived in Baltimore longer than you’ve been post-pubescent. You don’t know what you’re talking about. I am trying to give OP real and accurate information. You’re trying to be a cheerleader for the city. That’s fine but you aren’t doing OP any favors.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:14 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,253 times
Mountainschaos is a liar!
Everything he posted about Baltimore is false.
Baltimore is unsafe in almost all areas.

People usually leave Baltimore to go to Florida, not the other way around.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:16 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
I’ve lived in Baltimore longer than you’ve been post-pubescent. You don’t know what you’re talking about. I am trying to give OP real and accurate information. You’re trying to be a cheerleader for the city. That’s fine but you aren’t doing OP any favors.
By giving factual information that will fit the OP’s needs as was asked and also confirmed by other posters in this forum...? Yeah right. If ever there were an “okay, Boomer” warranted response.

Don’t tell me and my neighbors how we do or don’t live. There was nothing in my post that wasn’t real or accurate.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 12-22-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-23-2019, 02:51 AM

123 posts, read 203,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I live in the area of 29th and N. Calvert Street. It is heavily patrolled by Johns Hopkins University security team which is a short walk from here. Lots of trendy shops, a great grocery store called "Eddies" and a terrific Indian restaurant which are both on St. Paul Street between 31st and 32nd Street. It's a 3 minute walk from here.

I have my own basement apartment and I'm paying $500.00 per month including utilities. It's small but it's mine without housemates. I see women walking by themselves often, many walking their dogs. It's a great neighborhood and I feel very safe here, especially with the security which in my opinion is a bit of an overkill. Not complaining about that, LOL. I see a lot of for rent signs in this neighborhood.

Parking is $20.00 per year. Up this way in Charles Village and the neighboring Mt. Vernon you will need it. If you are never home during the week then that won't be a problem. There are some side streets when one can park without the pass too. City buses run up and down both St. Paul and Charles St from and to downtown so that may be an option for you. I've ridden a few times without problems.

I'd forget DC. That commute may burn you out and fast. It will take a lot out of you, guaranteed.

Best wishes and do be careful when choosing the area in which to live.

One thing I hate is getting approached by strangers for money. This happens when I go downtown. I ignore the "excuse me" every time.
Google "squeegee kids, Baltimore" and do your best to avoid them as well. Not saying all but they can be bad news.
Some interesting suggestions by this poster. As a former Baltimore City resident my 2 cents would be rent in Columbia MD. to start. Take your time from the outside looking in, to see if living in the city is right for you.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:56 AM

188 posts, read 153,564 times
Quote:

So . . . you're saying that MaintainsChaos is LYING about walking his/her dog every day, and still being alive and unmugged to tell the tale?

Old 12-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmcubed View Post
So . . . you're saying that MaintainsChaos is LYING about walking his/her dog every day, and still being alive and unmugged to tell the tale?
She said she walks her dog "without problem" at all hours. I suppose that could be true as a dog can be a good deterrent.

The problem with South Baltimore over the past three years is that you can't safely walk anywhere at any time unless you have a dog or a friend with you. Muggings happen daily and sometimes in broad daylight. As well as carjackings and home invasions. They just had the trial for the killer of a young kid who was MURDERED on the street a block from me. So, maintain chaos can try and sugarcoat living here because she has been lucky so far, but OP needs to know the truth.

Things are not improving, either. Our councilman, Eric Costello, actually attended a symposium on "The Rise of White Supremacy in South Baltimore." I wish I was joking but I'm not. Meanwhile nothing is done about actual crime. That's how goddam stupid the morons who live in SOBO are. I'm afraid maintain chaos is just another woke millenial who is frankly a big part of the reason the city is in the sad shape its in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore