Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 06:48 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,232 times

Advertisements

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the corner of Conway and Sharp streets have the most aggressive "squeegee" boys in the city. At least the homeless/bums the next block up walk past my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 07:22 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I havent heard anyone, that I can recall, publicly advocating for the Squeegee Kids behavior. Most of what I have read/heard/seen has been outrage. I did read where someone was attempting to set up a car wash for them but I really dont know how that would be sustainable and/or impact more than just a few of these kids. The mayor supposedly has a strategy but I havent been able to discern what it is... BPD needs to get their tan cargo pant recruits out and have them patrol President, Pratt, Conway and MLK . There are cameras at all of these locations... give them offices near these locations and golf carts.. when they see the activity on the camera.... swoop in and shut it down immediately ..yes it is monotonous yes it is tedious but it will work. Last summer I saw the fewest dirt bike gangs running around than I have the entire time that I have lived here.. The City made it a priority to shut it down and it seems like they did.. Yes they were still riders buzzing around but not the mobs that took over streets and intersections like in years past. IF other have seen otherwise.. please share but that was my experience over the summer. I just think that BPD doesnt care about the issue as they are dealing with a myriad of other big/larger issues.. but I can agree that it starts with the small stuff.

As for what to do with the squeegee kids.. well. the City has a youth employment program that is open to all.. not sure why they cant be redirected into that or some type of job corp where they could do various types of service projects.. If they choose not to and stay on the corner.. then they will be subject to the wrath of the tan cargo pants....
Several other cities have banned squeegee boys, notably Chicago and NYC. I can't figure out why the city council is afraid to address the issue head on. Several on the council repeat the same mantra, that those that engage in this activity, do not have equal opportunity in society. Perhaps, the dynamic in Baltimore is different, but they're not listening to the tax payers. The Little Italy association said that restaurant patrons have declined, citing rise in crime and near by squeegee activity. If the city does not do something, this issue will linger in the long-term.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:41 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Several other cities have banned squeegee boys, notably Chicago and NYC. I can't figure out why the city council is afraid to address the issue head on. Several on the council repeat the same mantra, that those that engage in this activity, do not have equal opportunity in society. Perhaps, the dynamic in Baltimore is different, but they're not listening to the tax payers. The Little Italy association said that restaurant patrons have declined, citing rise in crime and near by squeegee activity. If the city does not do something, this issue will linger in the long-term.
Yes, I don’t know that it has been banned in Chicago. I have just never seen it here, period. Although, maybe decades ago it was a thing, and they banned it at that point? Downtown Chicago is so busy and crazy with traffic, buses, and pedestrians walking in every direction, that it wouldn’t really be safe for them.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:37 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
keep pepper spray attached to your visor for the miscreants

Old 01-27-2020, 09:49 AM

390 posts, read 505,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I can't figure out why the city council is afraid to address the issue head on.

Haha, how would you stop these Little Angels? Cops would have to chase them down, catch them and then put hands on them. Then what? Give them a free ride home to mommy? They ain't going to Juvie for squeegeeing, unless you want Al Sharpton coming down from NYC and start a riot.

Hell, the force that will be used to arrest these kids would spark outrage against the Cops once the videos hit Youtube. Here comes Al Sharpton, anyway. How did Cops handle these Little Angels before? They used to take them behind alleys and smash them. Oh, but Bmore wants sweet Cops now, so enjoy your car windows washed at red lights ......BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
keep pepper spray attached to your visor for the miscreants
They'll probably dodge the spray and break your windows. If they don't, then they'll be on the lookout for your car the next day with rocks in their pockets.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:09 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
"Hey! Teacher! Leave the Squeegee Kids alonnnnneeeee...."
Hahahaha

I kind of like them as an early 80s retro thing. They used to roam the Bronx, but really hard to find now outside Baltimore. Perhaps the city could promote them as a tourist attraction.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Hahahaha

I kind of like them as an early 80s retro thing. They used to roam the Bronx, but really hard to find now outside Baltimore. Perhaps the city could promote them as a tourist attraction.
OMG, that's funny!

Old 02-04-2020, 10:25 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yes, I don’t know that it has been banned in Chicago. I have just never seen it here, period. Although, maybe decades ago it was a thing, and they banned it at that point? Downtown Chicago is so busy and crazy with traffic, buses, and pedestrians walking in every direction, that it wouldn’t really be safe for them.

Yeah.. it does appear to be a problem that can be solved as other cities have done.. I just think that it is low priority for BPD..the Mayor and City Council can talk all they want.. but its the BPD that has to handle the enforcement and I don't think that its a priority when you have all the internal issues with BPD and the crime stats on the external ... The other thing that I suspect could be happening is this issue of leverage for the BPD..and the FOP.. Keep in mind the rank and file have shown more than one police commissioner to the door by what the do and don't do on the street.. Think about Commissioner Batts after Freddie Gray... It was widely known that officers sat on their hands and let crime get out of control.... Once that happened Batts was fired. The same may have happened to Davis with all the Det Suiter murder/suicide.. the crack down in the neighborhood where residents had to go through check points and were dressed down by officers not to mention the slow walking of internal investigations on the incident was a cloud that hung over that incident all came to rest on his shoulders..and he left/forced out..

Squeegeeing is minor when compared with all of this... but its in the headlines and makes city leaders and the brass nervous.. so.. its leverage for the rank and file...Give us more overtime to deal with Squeegee or up the pay so we can recruit more officers and retain existing ones.. Again, the squeegee issue is not what they are hanging their hats on.. but its probably one a dozens of "points of pressure" that they can exert on the powers that be in election years.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:36 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times
This thread appears to have been started by a juvenile. As posted nobody here is promoting these kids, the closest was my comment that I have some sympathy for them as they have no other form of making income. But I also was clear, as was every other poster, that they are a nuisance and yes the city should simply ban them instead of their stated position of "if you don't give them money they will go away" which is obviously not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore